• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions About Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterGirl332

Hi! I'm working on a JAG fanfic that involves Aviation Training for jets, since Harm flies a Tomcat, and I wanted to get everything right - and to that, please bear with me if I get something wrong! If anyone who is in training now could answer my questions, that would be greatly appreciated.

1) What is the basic sequence for becoming a pilot? Specifically, what kinds of traing, classes, and tests does one have to undergo and in what order?

2) Can someone explain the procedure for flying quals, specifically for aviation students who are about to get their wings?

3) When undergoing aviation training, can a student act as another student's RIO?

4) What scores on tests are passing and what scores are considered excellent? And if anyone could make a list of some sort, of all tests, written, in-plane, etc and scores, that would be much appreciated.

5) Can someone tell me about any Academy traditions involving aviator classes? Specifically, are there any traditions, rites of passage, initiation type activites that the class might engage in on their own the night before a test/qual?

6) And any flying vocabulary, if someone could give me some definitions of key words/phrases, that would be great.

I think that covers everything, but if anyone has anything to add, anything I've left out, feel free to add it! Thanks again!

NuSnake

if im not mistaken hast this already been answered? I love JAG, I wouldnt mind working with a Marine that looks like Lt Col Makenzie(sp??)
Now that would be nice.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

NuSnake

very

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

WriterGirl332

It has and hasn't been answered...I got some good stuff from VSChip, who suggested I ask those undergoing training. So I reposted my questions here, with some more added.

And yes, Catherine Bell is hot, but I'm spending my time looking at DJE. Now there's a lawyer I'd like representing me ;)

tali264

lol.........I second the motion for DJE!!!!
eyebrows_125.gif

Ray

Mac is hot. Let me see. I'm a jet pilot in training and I went to the academy. So I suppose I'm qualified to answer the questions. But it might take a while.

1. Steps to become a pilot:
Become an officer
Get an aviation billet
Go to API
Go to primary
Select jets from primary
Go to advanced
Select your platform out of advanced (in this case Tomcats)

You take all sorts of tests. You have to have a college degree to be an officer. You take ground school classes in API. (check the api forum for that) Then you learn to fly in primary. If you do good enough you can go jets. And do good enough there and you can go Tomcats.

2. Quals
For jet pilots there are three basic quals you get before you get winged.
Natops
Instrument
Carrier

3. Pilots and NFO's go through training separately until the rag. So my guess would be no.

4. Tests
API: Weather, Aero, FR&R, Nav, Engines
Primary: T-34 Systems, weather, instruments, Fam check ride, instrument check ride
Advanced Jets: T-45 systems, aero, weather, instruments, emergency proceedures, instrument check rides, fam check ride, CQ
(there are LOTS more flights but you get the idea)
All this stuff is combined to form your NSS. 80 is the highest and you have to have a 50 to be able to go jets.

5. Everyone is in the same boat after the academy. There aren't really any traditions that I can think of besides study before and drink after.

6. What words or phrases do you want a definition of?

Hopefully you are more confused now than before I answered.

VT-22 T-45A TS
Currently: Phase 1/Mod 1

Status
Not open for further replies.