• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about Naval career path.

Nvacca

So i have lurked here for a while (especially the BDCP boards) and i finally decided to ask my first question. I want to apply for BDCP after this semester or after the next summer session. I am a biology major with a concentration in marine Bio. Doing Oceanography/ Meterology in the NAVY is definitley something that interests me, but i have always wanted to do SEALS or EOD. As far as i can tell i cant go straight into SPEC OPS from BDCP. But i heard that doing a lateral transfer from another path is a viable option. I also heard that SWO is a good path to transfer from. So my question is

1. is Oceanography/Meteorology a part of SWO? and how do i concentrate on that instead of just going basic SWO.

2. What is the training pipe line for Oceanography/Meteorology and when would i be eligable for a lateral transfer?

Sorry in advance for any stupid questions, im still trying to put all the pieces together here before i begin my application. And i am sure i will have a lot more questions.

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
I applied for the Oceanography Board at the beginning of March and was not accepted, I did not apply though BDCP. I hear that BDCP is usually more competitive for most options. The boards for Oceanography only meet twice a year. Here is website that helped me with some of the basic requirements and programs...

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/sanfrancisco/opo/general-information.htm#14

In the last board 3 applicants were selected out of 21 who applied.

Nvacca

Thanks for the link :D
btw i know you said you didn't go through BDCP but would i be applying for SWO through BDCP then try to get into Oceanography from there? or do i apply directly to Oceanography? Also when do i pick my "job" (for lack of a better term) while going through BDCP.

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
Thanks for the link :D
btw i know you said you didn't go through BDCP but would i be applying for SWO through BDCP then try to get into Oceanography from there? or do i apply directly to Oceanography? Also when do i pick my "job" (for lack of a better term) while going through BDCP.
I don't know much about the BDCP program so I am not going to be much help with that area. From what I understand, there are two different Oceanography programs. One of those is somehow related to SWO, as they require SWO training and a professional recommendation from the SWO community. That is all I know.

I am not sure what you mean by "job?" I am guessing that you are referring to a specific officer program. On the application you fill out and submit to the Navy review boards for professional recommendation, you may choose up to three different programs. Talk to your OFFICER recruiter or OR, not to be confused with an enlisted recruiter, about which programs would be best for you. Personally I applied for SWO, Supply and Oceanography in that order. I was pro-rec'd for supply in Feb. There are several steps you need to go through before you can start the application including the OAR exam (ASTB if you think you might want to fly or go into intel).

I would contact your nearest OR he/she will be of much more help.

torpedo0126

just a tidbit too about "lateral transfers." Say this works out and you get SWO, be careful about the thinking "oh I will just lateral transfer." At that point you have been designated and it will be someone elses decision.

If you don't get the lat transfer approved, you will still be a SWO. Make sure you understand that. The recruiting website may tell you there are avenues available for lat transfers, but its not like you just raise your hand and get it.

Lastly, showing up to a command and immediately advertising "I'm only doing this so I can lat transfer" doesn't always give the best impression. That kind of attitude may get taken the wrong way if your not careful.

Nvacca

I don't know much about the BDCP program so I am not going to be much help with that area. From what I understand, there are two different Oceanography programs. One of those is somehow related to SWO, as they require SWO training and a professional recommendation from the SWO community. That is all I know.

I am not sure what you mean by "job?" I am guessing that you are referring to a specific officer program. On the application you fill out and submit to the Navy review boards for professional recommendation, you may choose up to three different programs. Talk to your OFFICER recruiter or OR, not to be confused with an enlisted recruiter, about which programs would be best for you. Personally I applied for SWO, Supply and Oceanography in that order. I was pro-rec'd for supply in Feb. There are several steps you need to go through before you can start the application including the OAR exam (ASTB if you think you might want to fly or go into intel).

I would contact your nearest OR he/she will be of much more help.
Yes, by "job" i meant officer program but i was unsure of the correct terminology. And i would love to Fly but i believe im past the uncorrected vision requirements. (20/60). I appreciate the help. I am going to set up an appointment with an OR soon. I am a little uneasy about doing so since i am not readyto apply till the summer. Does that really matter?
just a tidbit too about "lateral transfers." Say this works out and you get SWO, be careful about the thinking "oh I will just lateral transfer." At that point you have been designated and it will be someone elses decision.

If you don't get the lat transfer approved, you will still be a SWO. Make sure you understand that. The recruiting website may tell you there are avenues available for lat transfers, but its not like you just raise your hand and get it.

Lastly, showing up to a command and immediately advertising "I'm only doing this so I can lat transfer" doesn't always give the best impression. That kind of attitude may get taken the wrong way if your not careful.
Lol , no that is not something i would broadcast to anyone really, the only reason im telling you guys is so you can get an idea of my mentality. I would however be 100% content in doing Oceanography, i was just curious about the capabilities of doing a lateral transfer incase i considered it down the road.

Is there anyway to get into SpecOps from BDCP? I would think that it would be hard to judge the candidate for Spec Ops two- three years before they would even do anything in the Navy.

navy09

None
METOC is NOT a part of the SWO community. Though I think I remember there being a SWO/METOC program (a quick Google search supports the existance of such a program).

If there is in fact such a thing, you'd go to a ship as a SWO DIVO, take a year or two to get your SWO pin, then automatically transfer to METOC.

Do a search on here for SWO/METOC (that may be too short for the search engine to hit on) and, of course, ask an officer recruiter.

Nvacca

METOC is NOT a part of the SWO community. Though I think I remember there being a SWO/METOC program (a quick Google search supports the existance of such a program).

If there is in fact such a thing, you'd go to a ship as a SWO DIVO, take a year or two to get your SWO pin, then automatically transfer to METOC.

Do a search on here for SWO/METOC (that may be too short for the search engine to hit on) and, of course, ask an officer recruiter.
That was the impression i got from the research i tried to do. It looked like you went through some training then do around 24 months of "on Job training" on a ship. THEN do the training for Oceanography/Meteorology. Again not sure if that is correct but that was my limited understanding of the training pipeline.

But if METOC is not a part of SWO is there another way to get into it from BDCP other than going SWO?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, you can get SWO with METOC option. I don't know of any other way to go METOC. I had several MIDN get picked up prior to commissioning. As detailed above, you start out as a SWO, get your SWO PIN, then go through METOC training. I've known a few that had the option, then later changed their minds and didn't go. OBTW, it is a different designator upon commissioning.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Nvacca

Yes, you can get SWO with METOC option. I don't know of any other way to go METOC. I had several MIDN get picked up prior to commissioning. As detailed above, you start out as a SWO, get your SWO PIN, then go through METOC training. I've known a few that had the option, then later changed their minds and didn't go. OBTW, it is a different designator upon commissioning.

-ea6bflyr ;)

What do you mean by the bolded? And if you do not mind me asking what did the MIDNs that you knew, change their mind too?

navy09

None
Designator is a number that tells an officer's job (like an MOS for Marine/Army enlisted). 1160 is a SWO in training, having a different designator would clearly set you apart as part of the SWO/METOC program.

When ea6bflyr says the Mids changed their minds, he means that they decided to stay SWO. They have all these SWO/XXXX programs where you go SWO then switch to the other job once you get your pin- though you always have the option to stay SWO instead of going to be a staff weenie after you get your pin.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A fellow on my first ship (FFG) was SWO-METOC. He kind of had this "checking the blocks" mentality, and was rather frustrated when the Captain just kept refusing to give him his pin. Part of it was his attitude, part of it was almost colliding with an oiler during an UNREP. No pin = no escape to METOC.

Kinda like the NAMI Whammy, except it's because you suck.

Nvacca

Designator is a number that tells an officer's job (like an MOS for Marine/Army enlisted). 1160 is a SWO in training, having a different designator would clearly set you apart as part of the SWO/METOC program.

When ea6bflyr says the Mids changed their minds, he means that they decided to stay SWO. They have all these SWO/XXXX programs where you go SWO then switch to the other job once you get your pin- though you always have the option to stay SWO instead of going to be a staff weenie after you get your pin.
Oh ok ! that makes sense. I kept wanting to say MOS but i knew it wasn't right so i just said "job" Thanks for the info though :icon_mi_6
A fellow on my first ship (FFG) was SWO-METOC. He kind of had this "checking the blocks" mentality, and was rather frustrated when the Captain just kept refusing to give him his pin. Part of it was his attitude, part of it was almost colliding with an oiler during an UNREP. No pin = no escape to METOC.

Kinda like the NAMI Whammy, except it's because you suck.
Ahaha well damn that sucks. What is normal duties associated with just staying in SWO ?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is normal duties associated with just staying in SWO ?

Put it this way: a bunch of us Divvo's once had a serious discussion about whether, given the choice, we would rather come in for a full day of work, or take a kick in the junk and go home. The effect was the same, but at least with the kick in the junk, it's over quicker and then you have the rest of the day for yourself. :icon_tong

navy09

None
What is normal duties associated with just staying in SWO ?

Do a search man. There's some info on here, though be careful about taking AW's thoughts on SWOs as the gospel (though some of it is spot on I suppose).

Once you're researched the community, if you have specific questions about billets, duties, ships, homeports, deployment cycles, or anything else- post them.

There are some SWOs on here who really know what they're talking about. I'm commissioning as one in about a month so I have some limited knowledge of the community as well (feel free to PM me).