• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

questions about life as a NAVAL OFFICER

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabttu

Great responses. have answered a lot of questions for me as well. I don't suppose there is anyone on this board who is a non-aviation officer? I'm aiming for crypto and would love any information regarding life as a crypto officer. Thanks!

kevin

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
[quote
I'm a rookie, please explain RAG.

Two things: What is a COD pilot? Also, please explain how the extra money works.

Originally posted by bunk22
If I were single, there would be no question, take the 5 year $125,000 bonus and stay Navy.

How does the bonus work?

What is the pay bonus for aviation duty? Not that it would make a difference in whether I apply or not. Just curious.

The RAG is now known as the FRS, Fleet Replacement Squadron. Once an aviator earns his/her wings, that's where they go to learn how to fly the specific aircraft they are assigned.

Right now, certain year groups are being offered a continuation bonus. I fall in that category. I could sign up for 2 years at 15,000 a year, 3 years for 25,000 a year, or 5 years for 25,000 a year.

A COD pilot is a C-2A Greyhound pilot. We are the carrier logistics platform. Generally, detachments are shore based and are paid a per diem for that time spent TAD from the carrier. When I was in Bahrain for 3 months back in 01, the going rate was $96 a day. I was there for just over three months and earned 96 a day, tax free, on top of my pay. I also was exempt from federal tax being in a combat zone. I came home with an extra $11,800 on top of my normal pay execept this money was tax free
thumbup_125.gif

Meegz

As the fiance of an SNFO, I can't say I'm real excited about what lies ahead. After a certain number of years will we be able to settle in one place. Let's say he flies P-3s (I think I have that right), how many years is it likely to be before he stops moving around and is done with deployments? I want to make sure both of us understand all the realities of being a Naval aviator. Thanks!

Meghan

mbeaser

Meghan,
From what I understand, your fiance will be in pensacola for the first 20 weeks, plus any backlog for waiting to class up (and I understand that there are some whomping big backlogs now). That is for API and Primary. If he goes P-3s then he will go to Randolph AFB (I think that is in San Antonio) for another 22 or so weeks. Then, he'll go to the FRS in Jacksonville FL. I think I remember reading that FRS for P-3s is about 10 months. Then, off to the regular squadron. P-3s don't deploy like most of the other aircraft because they are not carrier based. They spend a great deal of time deployed, though, for their sea duty stints. Something like 241 days a year. Sea duty is about 3 years, then 3 years of shore duty will fulfill the initial obligation of 6 years past winging for NFO. If he stayed after that he could get a bonus of $15000 a year by signing a contract, plus aviation special pay jumps up a lot (starts at $125 a month post winging, then goes up to around 250 a month at 4 years post winging to 650 a month at 6 years post winging). There are a few different places for P3 squadrons (Hawaii, Maine, Whidbey Island in Washington, Spain I think) and it is possible some times to get shore duty in the same place sea duty was served (so no need to move). But, very little is guaranteed in military life. Everything is subject to change, but basics are about 20 months for school plus FRS, 36-42 months sea duty, 33 months shore (finish initial obligation), 24 months sea, a possible short time at shore before hitting Department Head tour by 11 years (DH is ~24 months), then usually a shore (36 months unless selected for command earlier), then command "at sea" (~24 months), usually followed by a shore, if doing 20 years. P-3ers usually make a ton off of perdiem. HTH,
Missy

Goliath112

hey as far as the time it takes for him to stop moving and doing deployments well.. It most cases as long as he is a pilot he will always be on a SEA/SHORE rotation that will keep him in a deployable status. normally, like mbeaser says, he will, after training get sent to a squadron and fly for a couple of years, then do to a shore station where he probably won't deploy very much (if at all), then after maybe 2 years its back to a squadron that can be in the same area and he will be deployable again. P-3 pilots have a good life style (family time wise)compared to sea going pilots. But he will be gone very often on short detachments (2-3 weeks) and a six monther every 12-18 months. I know it sounds like a lot, but the job is great and pay is good. Don't worry about horror stories of military marriages. every situation is different and I have seen many many happy military marraiges. good luck

Meegz

Thanks for the replies. That is exactly the information I have been trying to piece together for weeks. I know there are no guarantees, but we have friends who have been in the Navy for a while, and at this point, they have stayed in San Diego for several years. Of course, one of them just got deployed and had to cancel his wedding, so I know a lot depends on circumstances.

Meghan

s_aslam

I am also a fiancé. My guy is in class 18-03 at OCS right now, with a SNA slot. This info is really hard to come by for some reason. Thanks so much for your stories and info! This is a real help!

Stephanie

GO NAVY!

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
These have all been great replies. Anyone have any insight specific to life on a carrier?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Another good question bcgeib. I want to know what it's like on a carrier for 3-6 months without your wife? That's gotta suck!

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by EA-6B1
Another good question bcgeib. I want to know what it's like on a carrier for 3-6 months without your wife? That's gotta suck!

- Meteu -

For me, it sucked big time. I became good friends with fistina
icon_smile.gif

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Life on a carrier? If you are ship's company, be prepared to move any time the ship does. That will include work-ups and a six month deployment. Typically, a carrier tour will include at least two deployments, to include work-ups. Deployments on a carrier are like the movie Groundhog Day. The environment does not change and neither do the faces. Expect to live and work with the same people day in and day out. It can be odd when living habits become mixed in with work. That's why I chose to pursue a commission in the Marine Corps! I can deal with going on an occasional deployment, but I'd rather not take the chance at being ship's company again. Don't get me wrong though. You can come off of a cruise with lifelong friends and experience different parts of the world - rather than just one place. You will adjust to being away from your spouse eventually, but will still be glad when you get back home. Hey, maybe you just have to experience it yourself to understand. There's my $.o2.

Frog

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks Frog. I guess you're right. Experience will probably be the biggest answer to a lot of our questions.

- Meteu -

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by bunk22
I became good friends with fistina
icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I bet lots of guys on the boat are becoming friends with her.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
LOL... gotta do what you have to do I guess.

- Meteu -

Meegz

Sorry to keep asking questions, but this is all new to me and my fiance and I don't seem to be on the same page. Again, let's assume we are talking about p-3s. What does sea duty entail for an NFO? I assume I can move to where ever he is stationed, correct? Then how many weeks is he gone in a year? And that is 1-3 weeks at a time, plus a 6 month detachment here and there? Both NFOs and pilots? And for the 3 years shore duty, he might have to be stantioned somewhere else, but once there he wouldn't have to leave on detachments for those 3 years? And the disadvantage of jets is that there are more frequent deployments when I would not get to see him for 6 months at a time? I am trying to get some idea of what I am in for so I can at least be prepared for it.

Thanks.

Meghan

Status
Not open for further replies.