• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

questions about life as a NAVAL OFFICER

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Need some help/opinions here... this is a long post so beware.

A little background info on me-
College junior, Texas A&M University. GPA 3.4 in Finance. ASTB scores AQR 7, PFAR 6, FOFAR 5, OAR 57. Retesting soon because I was told I need a PFAR 7 and FOFAR 6 to be competitive. Want a spot in OCS as SNA or SNFO.

My questions:

I'm looking for a little insight on what it's really like to be a pilot or NFO. I expect it to be the most challenging, most rewarding thing I could ever do. However, one of the people who I asked to write a LOR for me keeps telling me that I need to talk to someone who's flown for the Navy before I decide to do it myself. I don't know any Naval Officers personally (other than my recruiter) so I thought I would try for a few good responses on this forum. I’m not especially looking for info on OCS or flight school, there’s plenty of good gouge for that here already. I am looking for comments about Navy life in general, especially as a NA or NFO.
What's it like when you actually get out of training and in the fleet? How much time do you spend deployed on a carrier? What's it like to try to balance a demanding career and a family? What about kids- how do they handle the absence of a parent? Do you ever get to see the family (parents) you leave back home? How often should I expect to move? What are some things to consider about a Navy career that most people don’t think about? How much time do you spend flying/planning compared to other things? I know that your first job is to be an Officer, not to fly.
I know that some people don’t make it through OCS. I feel like you can make it through anything if you want it badly enough though. Any Officer position will be hard; you have to know it's what you want before you sign up. I know that being a NA or NFO is not easy. I'm prepared to work for it because it means so much to me. Hard work and dedication will get a man far in life.

I try not to make decisions without carefully thinking about all of the effects of those decisions. I have done lots of information gathering up to this point and feel confident that I want a career in the Navy more than I want anything else. I believe it really does take that much desire. I simply want to know if there are things that I should consider that I haven’t thought of yet. Also, I’d be surprised if anyone out there has any regrets about the Navy, but for my sake I have to ask anyway. Regrets? Does any one have any other advice for someone who is about to send up an application package? (Other than to be persistent and never give up!)

Thanks to all, and feel free to email or PM me.
bcgeib

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
bcgeib, let me know what you find out and post it on here. I have a lot of the same questions that you do. Let me know. Thanks.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by EA-6B1
bcgeib, let me know what you find out and post it on here. I have a lot of the same questions that you do. Let me know. Thanks.

Will do - haven't really got anything yet except for a hello from a former Texas Aggie. I'm really hoping to get some good info from this post.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
looks like there are a lot of people anticipating your response. thanks again.

- Meteu -

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by JoeAE2005
I'm also interested in any response to these questions!

-Joe

Yes, looks like there are lots of people who are looking for some answers. Hopefully we'll get some soon.

BEN

beau

Two words "Semper Gumby". aka be flexible. I think alot of the anwsers to your "many" questions would depend on first, what platform you get/choose/earn. Then how strong emotionally your wife is (translates to emotionally strong children as well). The service might throw a few expected/unexpected punches your way, and well, like gumby, you need to take it in stride as well as your "supportive" family. Never exspect the best until you've already got it, and always prepare for the worst.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

mbeaser

I'm still on the enlisted side of the house, but many of your questions can be looked at the same from here. First, beau is right, pretty much everything is platform specific, you have to be flexible and a lot depends on your spouse. In general, though, a career will go something like this: training (18-24 months) then FRS (I think 6-10 months), then your first squadron (about 36 months). First shore is 33 months, then a sea tour. I think they like DH (department head, a sea tour) tours to start by October of the 11th year, so there may be time for a little shore duty, then some shore duty after the DH tour. Here is a link to a detailer webpage that gives some good gouge, although keep the platform specific thing in mind: http://www.bupers.navy.mil/pers43/p432k.htm

Moving also depends on the platform. The Navy won't move your family for a school less than 6 months, so you may not see them for most of your school unless you pay to move them. Also see that detailer webpage to get you thinking about moves. How your family deals with moving and how they deal withe deployments depends on temperament. My husband is absolutely miserable in this remote little corner of England where I am stationed, he didn't think he'd hate it like this. He was also Navy until 2 years ago and our son was 6 months old when Jared did his last deployment. It was hard as hell on Jared, but Ethan hardly noticed he was gone. HTH,
Missy IT1, USN

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've been in the Navy as of ten years this month. I'm a C-2 pilot and perhaps have had it a bit better than some carrier aviators. I will say that flight school was a great time. No responsibility's, just study and fly. Flight school wasn't tough for me so I had a blast partying my butt off. Once I got to the RAG, still the same, just study and fly. Once I hit the fleet, the work began. Some days were very long depending on what was going on that day. When I first joined VRC-30, they were flying day/night to the carrier and spending all work-ups on the boat, only flying to the beach to do our mission. So my first cruise was spent on the boat for six months. So work-ups were very busy and I didn't see the family a whole lot.

Second cruise we went back on the beach flying day only to the boat. Work-ups were a whole easier, not staying on the boat and flying day only carrier ops. During that cruise I was able to talk with my wife and daughter just about every day. I would also email them just about every day. A definite advantage to that type of cruise. Also made $9800 in per diem plus a about another $2000 tax free. The perks of being a COD pilot.

I'm now an instructor pilot at VAW-120 spending a whole lot of time with my family. If I decide to stay in, I would be an OIC of a det and pretty much do one cruise and work-ups during my next deployment. In the COD world, that could very well be my last 6 month deployment since a CO/XO of a COD squadron do not deploy. So from that perspective, a COD pilot lives a bit more bearable life than most carrier aviators. I'm still not sure if I'm staying in due to the time away from my wife and daughter. Even one 6 month deployment takes a toll. If I were single, there would be no question, take the 5 year $125,000 bonus and stay Navy.

That sums it up for me. Let me know if you have any detailed questions.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
thanks for the great replies everyone. i'll be back with more questions soon, and i'm sure others will too.

ben

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
great post bunk 22. thanks.

- Meteu -

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by bunk22
Once I got to the RAG, still the same, just study and fly.

I'm a rookie, please explain RAG.

Also made $9800 in per diem plus a about another $2000 tax free. The perks of being a COD pilot.

Two things: What is a COD pilot? Also, please explain how the extra money works.

If I were single, there would be no question, take the 5 year $125,000 bonus and stay Navy.

That sums it up for me. Let me know if you have any detailed questions.

How does the bonus work?

What is the pay bonus for aviation duty? Not that it would make a difference in whether I apply or not. Just curious.

Originally posted by beau
I think alot of the anwsers to your "many" questions would depend on first, what platform you get/choose/earn.

By platform do you mean airframe or community?

Great replies yall! Keep them coming. One specific question I'd like some more info on: Is there anything you know now that you wish you had known before you applied? Additional things an applicant should consider?

THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.