• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about flying for the Coast Guard

MIG

I read some posts about flying billets out of OCS for Coasties. Not sure if this is old info. Here is what happened to us.
I am a retired Navy Aviator and my son wanted to fly, but wanted Coast Guard. (I actually wanted Coast Guard back in the day but that year they were not taking officers off the street. So went Navy) so my son is in college and visited the recruiter to make a plan for graduation and OCS and what it takes to get there. San Diego recruiter states that the Coast Guard is not taking officers off the street any more. Only academy, or prior enlisted can apply after getting in. So he quits college and signs up. Thats fine, he really wants to serve, and serve as a Coastie. There were several people with 4 year degrees in his group waiting to go to Cape May.

So all well, off and running. He is at ATC Mobile as a non-rate waiting to be accepted to AMT school. He wants helos. Work on a commission and flight school later. So is this the current program? No officers or flight school unless academy?
Any career advice I can pass to him? He is having a great time and so proud to wear the uniform. Very happy where he is. I am not impressed with the Coastie non-rate program that makes everyone spend 2 years or more jump starting their career path. Seems a bit of extra time to have the newness and excitment die down while waiting in the que.
Comments? Ideas? They say you can die from the gouge, but I always benefited from the gouge!! Worked for me! MIG

MIG

Thanks for the links. Looks like the CG indeed has commissioning programs and flight school opportunities for people "off the street" not just the Academy. It begs the question, Do the programs always exist but they choose not to use them during periods when they don't need more officers, or was our recruiter just uninformed about these programs and steers candidates to an enlistment program stating there are NO commissioning programs other than the Academy, or if you are currently enlisted. MIG

exNavyOffRec

If it is anything like the USN there are always programs on the books but it is not uncommon for them to have a "zero quota".

There were several CG aviators here at one time, from the items over the years they had posted and I had read that CG aviators often come from a few paths, OCS to a ship then to flight school, or current pilot from other services. I am sure there are other paths, those are just from the info I have seen posted.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There were several CG aviators here at one time, from the items over the years they had posted and I had read that CG aviators often come from a few paths, OCS to a ship then to flight school, or current pilot from other services. I am sure there are other paths, those are just from the info I have seen posted.
It varies and timing really is everything. Earlier this year with the latest and greatest lateral transition/DCA/come fly for the Coast Guard board rules, they were talking about entertaining applications for guys up to about age 40 and with enough time in to get maybe a four year tour before they hit 20. Don't know if they picked anybody up with those numbers but talk about swinging between extremes...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Coasties, more than other services, use their OCS as a 'top-off' valve for officer manning. They turn it on when and if needed to adjust their O numbers and demographics (including enlisted commissioning programs for Es who aren't CGA-eligible).