• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about DOR and FNAEB

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
So if you aren't a pilot you don't owe 8 yrs? I am not sure what a YG is but if I had to become an NFO I wouldn't mind the commitment, but I don't want to do pilot commitment in a SWO position. Would that be a skipper or an XO conversation? Not too keen on showing any intention of quitting to the front office. And lastly, is a pocr board in response to a DOR or from a FNAEB
Since everyone else is giving anecdotes, I'll give you the three folks that struggled in my JO tour:
1. Never made aircraft commander, strongly pressured to DOR and she did. I believe she applied for PAO at the POCR board and was not picked up. She's now a financial saleswoman.

2. Another guy DOR'd as a result of finding what we do too dangerous. Same story: he tried to get re-assigned to another community but was ultimately released from the Navy.

3. Third guy struggled, command didn't follow through on his paperwork for a FNAEB. Eventually just got a non-production job, did his disassociated gig, and is now in business school.

I'm not a detailer nor have I ever worked at PERS. You still owe the Navy that time. But if they don't have a job for you, they don't have a job for you and you're out as far as I'm aware. When you DOR, you go through a POCR board (don't ask me what that means) that allows to be eligible to lat transfer. With that said, I assume, as others have stated, that your community might instead just hold onto you and say "let me welcome you to the wonderful world of boat jobs we have in store" after they give you a non-production shore tour.

Look: as others have stated - many people struggle to get a higher level qual. Keep the press on.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Is this the formal term for turning in one's wings in the helo community? As a VFA/VX guy, I never heard the term "DOR" once after winging. As far as I ever knew, it wasn't an option.

OP, Post-winging service commitments still apply in the above situations. My opinion is whatever the Navy will ask you to do is far less satisfying than flying- I'd give your situation all you can until it's really over.

Last edited:

sickboy

pilot
Is this the formal term for turning in one's wings in the helo community? As a VFA/VX guy, I never heard the term "DOR" once after winging. As far as I ever knew, it wasn't an option.

OP, Post-winging service commitments still apply in the above situations. My opinion is whatever the Navy will ask you to do is far less satisfying than flying- I'd give your situation all you can until it's really over.

I’ve never heard of the term outside of the production pipeline, but I don’t know a better term for “turning in his/her wings”

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not a detailer nor have I ever worked at PERS. You still owe the Navy that time. But if they don't have a job for you, they don't have a job for you and you're out as far as I'm aware. When you DOR, you go through a POCR board (don't ask me what that means) that allows to be eligible to lat transfer. With that said, I assume, as others have stated, that your community might instead just hold onto you and say "let me welcome you to the wonderful world of boat jobs we have in store" after they give you a non-production shore tour.

Look: as others have stated - many people struggle to get a higher level qual. Keep the press on.
POCR: Probationary Officer Continuation and Redesignation Board.

Last edited:

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I’ve never heard of the term outside of the production pipeline, but I don’t know a better term for “turning in his/her wings”
Yeah, same. Flying is a voluntary activity, saying you're no longer willing to do it... is there a term for it? Using DOR here incorrectly but don't know a better word or acronym.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yeah, same. Flying is a voluntary activity, saying you're no longer willing to do it... is there a term for it? Using DOR here incorrectly but don't know a better word or acronym.

Gotcha. I agree with you in that sense, but the term could be misleading to some young'uns. Bet Big Navy has an admin term for those who decide to turn in their wings Cougar style. I never encountered that situation, so I have no idea what it would be.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Gotcha. I agree with you in that sense, but the term could be misleading to some young'uns. Bet Big Navy has an admin term for those who decide to turn in their wings Cougar style. I never encountered that situation, so I have no idea what it would be.
Voluntary Termination of Flight Status. Clunky term, but I guess it isn’t used enough to warrant a new moniker and associated acronym.

There’s a thread about this from 2005 or so, but maybe things have changed. Regarding the general aviation billet:

“Officers who voluntarily terminate their flight status can expect to receive a 130X designator and be immediately reassigned, per MILPERSMAN 1212-010, to a non-flying billet where they are encouraged to request redesignation into another community.”

If a pilot is coming up on 24 months, I would not be surprised to see second-sea-tour detailers get them to a boat in the same duty station location for that last year while waiting for redes results and/or shore duty.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you think the maritime community will be likely to end up on a boat?
Having not qualified in your primary platform, you will unlikely be a good candidate for platform transition.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Disclaimer: This perspective is from a non-aviator (13XX) side.

As what others have said here, have a sit down and talk with your chain of command, whether that's your department head, XO or even Skipper. If you are proactive about your struggles being qualified, I'm certain they will work with you to ensure you succeed. It's not wrong seeking help from your leadership, that's why they're there.

If things don't work out and you do end up going to a POCR and/or redesignation board, it helps your odds being redesignated if the board saw that you tried to qualify as opposed to just quitting. I previously worked with a 1300 who VOLTERM'd as a 1310, he has attempted to apply for a lateral transfer for a while now but has yet to be successful. He'll probably ride out short duty and then be FOS'd out once up for O-4.