• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about DOR and FNAEB

DODGE27

I had a few questions about the outcome of a DOR or FNAEB. So I have been struggling with my syllabus since I entered my squadron. I am approaching the end of my timeline and have failed events. My projection is looking like I will not complete my syllabus within my allotted time and will most likely face a FNAEB. My question is, should I try to complete my syllabus before my timeline and face the chance of a FNAEB, or will my chances at a Navy career/good redesignated community be better to DOR now? Which of these decisions will also be better for me in the long run if I decide to get out and fly on the civilian side? And lastly, what happens to the time commitment? As a pilot we have to promise 8 years after flight school - does that commitment drop down to 5 years or once we are wing, we have to keep the 8 years even if we DOR or FNAEB?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So where exactly are you in your career? Fleet squadron, FRS, advanced, primary? Have you hit 6 years commissioned service?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
20 months in my fleet squadron, a little over 4.5 years since commissioning.
Once you get your wings, you owe the Navy 8 years of service as a pilot.

This is something you should be having as a frank conversation with your front office; "Hey Skipper, can we talk? I can tell it doesn't look like I am going to make it through the syllabus in time. With that said, I'm still interested in serving in the Navy in a successful career. Do you recommend I try to finish it out, or would you support me in a redesignation package?" Keep in mind, with your YG, it's extremely unlikely there are any available "releases" from your community, but I believe that there is still a way via POCR (I have no idea what the success rate is on this). There's just no guarantees and you might be out of the Navy even sooner.

Either way, you need to be open and honest with your front office on this one.

DODGE27

Once you get your wings, you owe the Navy 8 years of service as a pilot.

This is something you should be having as a frank conversation with your front office; "Hey Skipper, can we talk? I can tell it doesn't look like I am going to make it through the syllabus in time. With that said, I'm still interested in serving in the Navy in a successful career. Do you recommend I try to finish it out, or would you support me in a redesignation package?" Keep in mind, with your YG, it's extremely unlikely there are any available "releases" from your community, but I believe that there is still a way via POCR (I have no idea what the success rate is on this). There's just no guarantees and you might be out of the Navy even sooner.

Either way, you need to be open and honest with your front office on this one.
So if you aren't a pilot you don't owe 8 yrs? I am not sure what a YG is but if I had to become an NFO I wouldn't mind the commitment, but I don't want to do pilot commitment in a SWO position. Would that be a skipper or an XO conversation? Not too keen on showing any intention of quitting to the front office. And lastly, is a pocr board in response to a DOR or from a FNAEB

croakerfish

pilot
Anecdotally, I know a few guys who didn’t make aircraft commander in their JO tour. They played it a couple different ways.
First was my fellow 2P on deployment, just wasn’t hacking it and was straight up told by the CO there’s no way he’d ever sign a HAC letter.
He signed a page 13 (rumor has it he was strongly pressured by the front office) rescinding his volunteering for flight duty, rather than go through with a FNAEB. He was not selected for redesignation and is now out. He did not have to fulfill the remainder of his MSR on active duty but I believe he is still IRR.
Another guy (after I left the squadron so I don’t know all the details) was in a similar situation and also signed a page 13. He is also out now. I don’t know if he applied for a redesignation board.
The third guy went down swinging, went through with the whole FNAEB misery and successfully redesignated.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Anecdotally, I know a few guys who didn’t make aircraft commander in their JO tour. They played it a couple different ways.
First was my fellow 2P on deployment, just wasn’t hacking it and was straight up told by the CO there’s no way he’d ever sign a HAC letter.
He signed a page 13 (rumor has it he was strongly pressured by the front office) rescinding his volunteering for flight duty, rather than go through with a FNAEB. He was not selected for redesignation and is now out. He did not have to fulfill the remainder of his MSR on active duty but I believe he is still IRR.
Another guy (after I left the squadron so I don’t know all the details) was in a similar situation and also signed a page 13. He is also out now. I don’t know if he applied for a redesignation board.
The third guy went down swinging, went through with the whole FNAEB misery and successfully redesignated.
These days I wonder if pers would be eager to redesignate them to 1300 and send them to a big ol’ boat.

sickboy

pilot
There were a few JOs in my fleet squadron that were in your shoes. None of them went to a FNAEB, but all of them “acquired” some sort of medical issue that took them out of the cockpit.

Not saying that’s your solution, this is a conversation that you need to have with your front office. If you want help, make sure you’re asking for help.

The AC process kicked my ass when I was in your shoes. There was definitely a point where I thought I was going to need a new job. I didn’t pass my first board, and I and I got seriously in my own head. It sucks, most of us go through it in some form or another. If you want this job, keep pressing. You will probably surprise yourself

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
8 years from winging: you earned your wings, you owe the time. The detailers will NOT release you to let you redesignate until after you complete your MSR. Like sickboy said, there are others that were released from their detailers due to medical NPQ. One helo guy I know & helped, left his sea tour early due to medical NPQ, and he was allowed to transition. He’s now an IP Officer and a Commander, and doing well with his career. DOR is not an option. You can turn in your wings (un-volunteer from flight duties)….but not DOR. DOR is a training term.

I’d suggest that before you go to the head office, you have a discussion with a trusted senior JOPA member (maybe a WTI)….maybe even a DH before you go to the Skipper. They may be able to set you straight or help. Don’t struggle in silence…ask for help.

DODGE27

What about If I am FNAEBed, I read that I will keep my wings but can also be reassigned, possibly NFO or intel

MGoBrew11

pilot
What about If I am FNAEBed, I read that I will keep my wings but can also be reassigned, possibly NFO or intel

That’s probably going to be community dependent and dependent on what your struggles are. More the knowledge aspect or you’re just a crap stick?

If you’re struggling with knowledge I don’t think NFO is going to take you. What would be any different? If you’re a jet guy and just suck at landing on the boat or something then maybe that’s a conversation to just make you an NFO.

Another factor is time to train. If you have to go all the way back through flight school it will mess up your O4 timing and they will not consider it an option.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Also, there were a few guys/gals in my fleet squadron in my time that didn’t make HAC.

One is now an AMDO (heavily pressured to turn in wings, was going to be FNAEBd)
One is in intel (FNAEB)
One is a PAO (FNAEB)

There were others I know personally that were before/after my time at that squadron. No one I knew got out. Everyone redesignated regardless of how they left flight status.

DODGE27

Let's just say I haven't been able to make the mindset change from a 2p to a PPC fast enough. I don't really know where that puts me.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Let's just say I haven't been able to make the mindset change from a 2p to a PPC fast enough. I don't really know where that puts me.
I think that puts you in the same spot as a lot of people. Maybe you’re slower than most of your peers but don’t count yourself out yet. It ain’t over til it’s over.

It can be a frustrating process and we’ve all had our moments of struggle in this business. I think the advice above to talk to a trusted mentor first, then honest conversation with front office second about where you stand is sound.