• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

questions about becoming a usmc aviator

usmcgirlhopeful

hey all,
I am seriously considering joining the marines and trying to get a seat in flight school. I have been in contact with a recruiter but just wanted to get ALL the info I can before I commit. The next female OCS for marines isn’t until May of 2010 so I have plenty of time to make a decision. Here are a couple of my questions…
How hard is it to get a seat in flight school? How many seats are available? Does anyone have any stats to back up their answers?
Once in the usmc pilot program, what is the wash out rate? Any military pilots please comment on what its like day to day and any other inside about the flight school training would be great!
Right now I am trying to get an instructor and get some flying lessons and maybe even my license.

Thanks, all insight will be a great help:)

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Depends on when you're applying and what you're applying for.

Right now there are no SNA spots for this fiscal year for OCS (if you've graduated college already)

If you're still in school check out PLC.

Do the search thing.

edit: what's with all the new ppl lately and the annoying font?

anyone else notice that?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
First of all, search. I'd say a large portion of your question could have been answered by taking a bit of your own time and looking around the forum. Initiative is a quality the Marine Corps like to have in its officers.

Second, don't use that font.

Regarding your questions:

[*]How hard is it to get a seat in flight school?
Not particularly difficult if there are slots. If you qualify for OCS and pass the flight physical and ASTB you should have no issues.
[*]How many seats are available?
Changes all the time.
[*]Does anyone have any stats to back up their answers?
What stats are you looking for?
[*]Once in the usmc pilot program, what is the wash out rate?
Not overly high. I've known of three - One DOR, two weren't cut out for flying it seemed.
[*]Any military pilots please comment on what its like day to day and any other inside about the flight school training would be great!
Its different depending on what phase of flight school you're in and whether or not you're being scheduled. Sometimes you'll feel as if there are not enough hours in the day to memorize EPs/Procedures/etc. Others, you'll find yourself drinking four days a week for lack of better things to do. Variety is the spice of life.
[*]Right now I am trying to get an instructor and get some flying lessons and maybe even my license.
I wouldn't advise that if you're looking for a leg up in flight school. It'd seem that those with prior flight time did marginally better than those with none, for the most part. Unless you're simply interested in flying and have a healthy bank account, then by all means.