• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Questions about becoming a Navy NFO through NROTC

Eric888

Hello Air Warriors,

My name is Eric and I am just starting my junior year of high school. I am extremely interested in becoming a Navy NFO through the NROTC program. I would like to be a pilot, but unfortunately for me my distance vision isn't that great, and I hear that it is usually better than 20/20 with great depth perception for pilots. So, I decided that an NFO would be a great option as well. This is my dream and I am not going to let it go easy, but I am a touch concerned about failing flight school. I have seen rates at about 30% washout, which I have to say makes me a bit anxious. But I also read that most washouts either gave up on themselves or got into trouble and that it can be done without issue if you don't do either of those two things. Is this true? I am going to pursue this no matter what, but I just want some insight into the matter. I also like to always have a backup plan, so if you do wash out, what happens to you? Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated. Also, since I am somewhat new to this and don't know all the abbreviations, could you please spell it out once before abbreviating? Thanks so much in advance.

-Eric

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
You can always get LASIK. I used to have a -2.75 prescription in both eyes, went under the laser, came out seeing 20/15 and got picked up for SNA. So if distance vision is your only limiting factor don't write yourself off for pilot just yet.

Eric888

Thanks for the response!

I'm glad you were able to fix your vision. LASIK is expensive, but I'll look into it.

croakerfish

pilot
Hello Air Warriors,

My name is Eric and I am just starting my junior year of high school. I am extremely interested in becoming a Navy NFO through the NROTC program. I would like to be a pilot, but unfortunately for me my distance vision isn't that great, and I hear that it is usually better than 20/20 with great depth perception for pilots. So, I decided that an NFO would be a great option as well. This is my dream and I am not going to let it go easy, but I am a touch concerned about failing flight school. I have seen rates at about 30% washout, which I have to say makes me a bit anxious. But I also read that most washouts either gave up on themselves or got into trouble and that it can be done without issue if you don't do either of those two things. Is this true? I am going to pursue this no matter what, but I just want some insight into the matter. I also like to always have a backup plan, so if you do wash out, what happens to you? Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated. Also, since I am somewhat new to this and don't know all the abbreviations, could you please spell it out once before abbreviating? Thanks so much in advance.

-Eric

You actually just need to be 20/40 uncorrected and correctable to 20/20, plus some other restrictions such as color vision, astigmatism within certain limits, etc. People fail out of flight school for all kinds of reasons, including a simple lack of adaptability to the skills required in the time required to learn them. You can always do some flying now to see if you like it. It's usually around 100-150 per flight hour for some basic instruction/familiarization in a small bug-smasher. Obviously when you look at the big picture flying in the military is way different than playing around in a Cessna but it'll give you a taste.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
In my noobish, not-yet-relevant state, I'm completely open to correction here - but is it not true that LASIK cannot be waivered, while PRK can (and is therefore recommended)?

That's the advice I had gotten from an OSO, was echoed by an NOR, and my optometrist said she had heard that before.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
In my noobish, not-yet-relevant state, I'm completely open to correction here - but is it not true that LASIK cannot be waivered, while PRK can (and is therefore recommended)?

That's the advice I had gotten from an OSO, was echoed by an NOR, and my optometrist said she had heard that before.

Nope not anymore, both are now acceptable according to the NAMI Waiver Guide. It's up to what your surgeon feels is the best treatment for you. I will say I got custom LASIK and have no regrets, I was seeing 20/20 the day after the surgery and I'm at 20/15 now. And as long as I stay hydrated I have no problems with dry eye.

Eric888

You actually just need to be 20/40 uncorrected and correctable to 20/20, plus some other restrictions such as color vision, astigmatism within certain limits, etc. People fail out of flight school for all kinds of reasons, including a simple lack of adaptability to the skills required in the time required to learn them. You can always do some flying now to see if you like it. It's usually around 100-150 per flight hour for some basic instruction/familiarization in a small bug-smasher. Obviously when you look at the big picture flying in the military is way different than playing around in a Cessna but it'll give you a taste.
I have been in a little seaplane up in Canada. It's what first sparked my interest in flying. Thanks for the response!