• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions abotu PRK

scarfacekracker

My vision is currently 20/30 in both eyes and I have astigmatism. I can see good during the day but at night its pretty rough. I am currently enlisted and am thinking about PRK. I finish my college degree in 11 weeks and would like to get the surgery done shortly after this because my unit will be deploying back to Iraq in AUG. I am wondering what everyone thinks I should do?
I know that the Navy will do the PRK for free but I am told that the wait is around a year or so. I would not mind paying out of my own pocket in order to get the PRK done prior to Iraq. Actually would feel more comfortable going to a civilian doctor because I have seen what the Naval Hospital is capable of, but lets not get into that. Please let me know what you think. Im planning on doing this on my pre-deployment leave. Which is going to be 2 or 3 weeks. My vision should be fine in this timeframe correct? Im planning on talking to the OSO and the flight surgeon about this but want to get some advice prior.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
I was undeployable for 3 months after I had PRK done because of the medication I was on (steroids). So that might give you some issues there with a deployment to Iraq in Aug. But seriously, why shell out all that cash if your vision is already 20/30?

Wankertank

Free Hat!
danthaman said:
But seriously, why shell out all that cash if your vision is already 20/30?

His astigmatism may be disqualifying.....

However..If your vision is better than 20/40 and less than 1.50 astigmatism you still qualify for SNA so there is no reason to get PRK, just as danthaman has said. I wouldnt get it unless you actually needed it to qualify.

just my 2 cents.

scarfacekracker

I believe that my vision is good enough to qualify SNA. I would have to check my astigmatism. But at this point it is just a mere annoyance. I would like to get it done but I do not want to put myself in a nondeployable status. I will have to talk to our flight surgeon about this matter. Thanks for the info.

Jeff29

Science Project
Unless there is something else real screwed up with your eyes, no reputable surgeon will touch your eyes at 20/30.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
seriously, most people who are 20/30 don't realize it, and probably have no reason to see an optometrist.

At 20/30, you could just wear contacts/glasses when you fly.

SpiderUSMC

Jeff29 said:
Unless there is something else real screwed up with your eyes, no reputable surgeon will touch your eyes at 20/30.

Not really true. Depends if one of your eyes is worse than the other. My "good" eye was 20/35-20/40 before surgery and my "bad" eye 20/70. Of course, the "bad" eye was the dominant one. Even at 20/30 you could still improve (depending on what you correct to) to 20/20, 20/15 or even 20/12.

I'd certainly consider my surgeon "reputable".

scarfacekracker

I have tried wearing glasses and contacts already. I can't stand putting in contacts every day and I have bent to many pairs of glasses at work. I just want to get the PRK done so that I do not have to worry about these things. My vision is really not that bad I would just really like to improve my night vision. That is the main concern. I guess I will just have to start talking to some docs that perform the procedure and see what they think. Im not satisfied with my current vision.