• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question

govols

with the BDCP program does the time in the program count as years of service time?
pay grade is spelled out by rank and years of service. after OCS when you get your commission and recieve O-1 pay, do you recieve the O-1 pay as a new member of the military or are you on the O-1 paygrade with a 2 years of service? its a difference of about $113 per month

ps, i did use the search function and browsed through the forum, sorry if i didnt find the answer

m26

Contributor
I am under the impression that yes, you will commission as an O-1 with (years in BDCP) years in service.

I don't remember seeing it spelled out anywhere, though. Just something I've picked up from AW. Might be wrong.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
with the BDCP program does the time in the program count as years of service time?
pay grade is spelled out by rank and years of service. after OCS when you get your commission and recieve O-1 pay, do you recieve the O-1 pay as a new member of the military or are you on the O-1 paygrade with a 2 years of service? its a difference of about $113 per month

ps, i did use the search function and browsed through the forum, sorry if i didnt find the answer

It does indeed (and for retirement as well). You also get to build up leave.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
60 flyer is correct. It counts toward pay, retirement and you build up leave balance as well. Great deal / program if you get it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Just to further clarify, you do not rate O-1E pay. The OP made it sound like you might get that. You don't.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
^^What Synix said. In order to draw O-1E pay, you must have served active duty enlisted for 4 years.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
^^What Synix said. In order to draw O-1E pay, you must have served active duty enlisted for 4 years.

And as such, BDCP is designed to never let that happen. However if you have prior service of less than 4 years, and THEN enter BDCP, I believe O-1E will apply.

Bottom line: Yes, time in service and leave accrues. You ARE active duty for Personnel purposes.

govols

thanks to all for answering my questions. I found the thread where it did not count for O-1E (without prior service) but my question hadnt been answered so I started a thread. this whole thing keeps sounding better and better every day.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
thanks to all for answering my questions. I found the thread where it did not count for O-1E (without prior service) but my question hadnt been answered so I started a thread. this whole thing keeps sounding better and better every day.

BDCP is the best deal for a non-prior. (STA-21 sounds like the best deal for a prior). Good luck!

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
this whole thing keeps sounding better and better every day.

It's an incredible deal. And you'll find most people in the Navy have never even heard of it!

Besides all the money benefits....the biggest for me was that you're GUARANTEED a designator. It's not like doing ROTC where it's a crap shoot what job you may get. I'm too much of a control freak to allow that to happen.

BackOrdered

Contributor
And as such, BDCP is designed to never let that happen. However if you have prior service of less than 4 years, and THEN enter BDCP, I believe O-1E will apply.

Bottom line: Yes, time in service and leave accrues. You ARE active duty for Personnel purposes.

Nuke BDCPers who got there class up date pushed for whatever reason have gotten O-1E.

As great a deal as BDCP is, it is a wonder it is still offered. Last I heard it is hard as nails to get it now.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Nuke BDCPers who got there class up date pushed for whatever reason have gotten O-1E.

As great a deal as BDCP is, it is a wonder it is still offered. Last I heard it is hard as nails to get it now.

True. Like I said, you ARE active duty enlisted for all intents and purposes, so if you get delayed and serve 4 years enlisted, you HAVE to get O-1E, but it is designed as such to not allow O-1E. Of course circumstances happen and if you get delayed you get paid according to what you rate.

Just out of curiosity, can prior service apply for BDCP? If so, do they go back on active duty at the paygrade they left in? I'm wondering if I should consider this and get out in a few years if I don't get into STA-21.

CTI1

Yes as a prior you can get back on BDCP. I know a prior AF enlisted guy at OCS with me who was BDCP. As for getting your old paygrade... not sure about that one. I believe you retain your old paygrade if it was higher than E-3, but double check with a recruiter on that one.