• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question regarding PRK/Lasik and flight school.

Mwilli5009

I highly doubt you guys have had this question before. I searched pretty hard for one over the last few days. Just found this site today, searched and came up short. So...I am sure that you all will be able to assist me.

Here's my dilemma: I have refraction levels of -10.5 and -12.00. Very small astigmatism. Now, from what I have read, preoperative levels for PRK surgery have to be equal or below -8. I wear contacts and they correct me fully to 20/20 with no real issues. I wear glasses, too...but as you can imagine...I'd take the contacts over hauling around the coke bottles on my face any day.

I have went to Emory Eye Center in Atlanta and had a consultation visit. They basically told me I am correctable with PRK/Lasik to a -1.00 and -2.00...and with Phakic IOL implant surgery (a little more risky) I am correctable to near 20/20.

So...what does someone in this situation who is interested in flight school do? Are any of the other branches more lenient? (Although I really want to go either Navy or Air Force) Can my currently existing refraction be overlooked when I have a post-operative refraction within the limits?
Is there a waiver out there for this I haven't found information on yet? Is an impressive GPA and good physical conditioning something I can use to my advantage?

What do you all advise?

Immy

I don't think you can be any more than -6.00 in either eye before eye surgery if you wanna fly anything in the Navy or Airforce, however I might be wrong.

Ralph

What about Lasik? I know that the Navy hasn't approved but the AF has. At least its an option.

Mwilli5009

With LASIK they could correct me to around -1.00 and -2.00. That was what I was told around a year and a half ago at Emory Eye Center. I am going to a TLC Eye Center on Friday for a free consultation to let them humor me over what they think is possible. I would imagine that they would say something similar to what Emory said.

My whole thing is this: If I walk in and they test me on my vision...and I test as a 20/40 or so in both eyes without contacts and 20/20 with contacts...what's the problem?

Jeff29

Science Project
My whole thing is this: If I walk in and they test me on my vision...and I test as a 20/40 or so in both eyes without contacts and 20/20 with contacts...what's the problem?

The problem is that they won't consider you for the waiver if you started out with a refractive error greater than -8.00. Sometimes the Navy does trials on expanding the parameters of the program (i.e. they are doing trials with LASIK). Although I have not heard of anything in this area, I assume that the Navy may do a trial at some point based on increasing the -8.00 limit. Other than that, I really don't see any options. How old are you? When would you actually apply for aviation?

Mwilli5009

I'm 21 and will be finished with my degree next May...possibly in December if I push it...but I am banking on May of 2009. Therefore, I would be wanting to enter OCS sometime that summer. I would assume that my eyes would need to be corrected by then...which means I would need to have the procedure by the end of this year in order to have the proper amount of time as instructed by the waiver.

I hate to say it...but I have feared that what you are saying is the reality of the situation. I am trying to find something to swing things in my favor, though...but I am running out of options fast.

Just trying to continue to throw options out there...What if I saw a doctor that is recommended by the Navy...he does the procedure...he is able to correct them to whatever refraction they will accept...and he suggests that the pre-surgery refraction level can be overlooked? Sounds rather far-fetched...but I don't exactly plan on giving up anytime soon.

Mwilli5009

Well...I talked to a Cpt. O'Connell in Pensacola...and it's a no go. No exceptions for people above the waiver limit. He suggested looking into the other branches...but I doubt they will be any different with the requirement. He also suggested looking into the military for Canada or another country...but I don't feel like I could exactly do that...haha.

So...I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I guess look into the other officer positions and see what strikes me...eh?

Rg9

pilot
I have went...

So...what does someone in this situation who is interested in flight school do?
Study English ;). Sorry, couldn't resist.

I doubt the Army would have different requirements. What are the eye limits on this for NFO's? I know you can do it with some level of uncorrected astigmatism. If you're happy going NFO (well, you should first be happy being a naval officer before you apply because you never know what will happen), apply for pilot, see if they somehow wave it, and if they don't go for NFO. Seems like a win-win to me.

Mwilli5009

What's even better is that I am an Honors student at my university. My major? English...haha. I'm from the South, type how I talk, and didn't proof before posting. Cut me some slack. :)

I don't think I can do ANYTHING that involves aviation because of my pre-operative refraction. I asked him what he advised and he suggested Flight Surgeon...haha. But, I would assume that would require medical school...and I am lacking in the science class department on my college transcripts. I haven't done much research on that though...don't know enough about it to even be interested.