• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question Regarding GPA for Service Selection

LessThanWilly

Hello everyone,

I'm a scholarship 3/C Midshipman that is toying with the idea of changing colleges for a variety of reasons, but I've got a major question regarding how this might affect service selection for the reason you will see below.

When transferring from one college to another, it is my understanding that GPA does not transfer to the new college. For instance, if you completed 60 credits with a 2.75 GPA and transferred to a new school, you may begin with all 60 credits (or minus those that do that directly transfer), yet you effectively have no GPA until you complete you're first semester there.

Here is my question: When this situation faces the Naval Service Selection Board, do would they account for entire college GPA (have a transcript from both colleges) or would they only look at the transcript from the newest college?

If it is the first one, I'd assume they would thus have a copy of your original transcript at your new unit to send off with your selection package. However, if the latter proves to be the way it is handled then it is very possible for someone to screw with the system. IE: Someone completes two years with a bad GPA, transfers colleges, and works hard their Junior year before their service selection is sent off with a higher GPA, or alternately, someone with a 4.0 transfers to a different school, has a hard junior year, and their GPA is effectively wiped out.

If anyone knows the details of how this works, I would greatly appreciate it.

jtmedli

pilot
Hello everyone,

I'm a scholarship 3/C Midshipman that is toying with the idea of changing colleges for a variety of reasons, but I've got a major question regarding how this might affect service selection for the reason you will see below.

When transferring from one college to another, it is my understanding that GPA does not transfer to the new college. For instance, if you completed 60 credits with a 2.75 GPA and transferred to a new school, you may begin with all 60 credits (or minus those that do that directly transfer), yet you effectively have no GPA until you complete you're first semester there.

Here is my question: When this situation faces the Naval Service Selection Board, do would they account for entire college GPA (have a transcript from both colleges) or would they only look at the transcript from the newest college?

If it is the first one, I'd assume they would thus have a copy of your original transcript at your new unit to send off with your selection package. However, if the latter proves to be the way it is handled then it is very possible for someone to screw with the system. IE: Someone completes two years with a bad GPA, transfers colleges, and works hard their Junior year before their service selection is sent off with a higher GPA, or alternately, someone with a 4.0 transfers to a different school, has a hard junior year, and their GPA is effectively wiped out.

If anyone knows the details of how this works, I would greatly appreciate it.

Interesting situation you've got. Not sure how the Navy would look at it though. Probably need both transcripts.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
the truth about transferring GPA's...

Some colleges give you a fresh slate.. Others do not.

I thought the same thing when I transferred out of my first school. Didn't happen.

Get in touch with an Advisor from the school you are transferring to and pester them for a low down on the specifics.

HOWEVER.

Be sure not to make the same mistakes twice, even if given a fresh start. Especially since the transcripts from the first school are going to stay with you.

jtmedli

pilot
the truth about transferring GPA's...

Some colleges give you a fresh slate.. Others do not.

I thought the same thing when I transferred out of my first school. Didn't happen.

Get in touch with an Advisor from the school you are transferring to and pester them for a low down on the specifics.

HOWEVER.

Be sure not to make the same mistakes twice, even if given a fresh start. Especially since the transcripts from the first school are going to stay with you.

How does that work for OCS then? New school = fresh start for OCS application GPA too?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
How does that work for OCS then? New school = fresh start for OCS application GPA too?

I'll tell you when I find out ;)

So far I've had to provide transcripts from both schools (though it didnt really matter because my GPA DID transfer)

Use your latest GPA IMO. That reflects you as an applicant at the time you are applying better than the one you had 2 or 3 years ago. Be honest if they ask, and move forward.

I should say right now, that transferring to save a GPA is a bad decision and is, oftentimes, a solution to the SYMPTOM not the PROBLEM.

LessThanWilly

Asked one of our LTs today. He said that the Navy doesn't look at each school's official transcript but instead they put each semester's classes and scores on a separate sheet that includes all your info (how you do in Navy classes vs. regular classes, PRT scores, aptitude, etc.) and this eliminates the need for sending a school transcript. At least it keeps people honest!