• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question on Grad School

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The way I see it is, if my bad timing manages to fuck some sort of career milestone, then I'm glad I paid myself first with a masters degree in something I wanted and got to spend a year in Monterey.

Yup, that pretty much summed up the reason I did it too. And one year isn't that bad to be behind, when it's actually not an entire year anyways.

And for comparison, I've actually finished ahead of some (not many) of my YG peers in helo-land. Attribute it to almost nil downtime between sections of the pipeline (with the exception of API for a few months). Go figure???

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
And for comparison, I've actually finished ahead of some (not many) of my YG peers in helo-land. Attribute it to almost nil downtime between sections of the pipeline (with the exception of API for a few months). Go figure???

I did IGEP at AFIT, and the same is true for P-3 land. I am about even with most people in the RAG. Out of 16 class members, I think we only have 4 Ensigns, so that means 12/16 are from the 2005 year-group (or were commissioned in December 05). So it's definitely possible to catch up. They tend to give you a "Advance Directly to API" card as soon as you show up in Pensacola, which helps a lot. Also, doing IFS before you show up to Pensacola helped a lot, but apparently they're not allowing that anymore.

It also seems as if grad school is becoming more common these days. Out of the 12, 5 went to grad school, so they are behind for a reason. I know the IGEP program is relatively new (5 or 6 years old), so maybe that's the reason???

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about career timing before your career has even started. A free Master's degree is worth its weight in gold.

Pags

N/A
pilot

See, that's nice...when I got to API I sat on my butt for 8 months and then had 3 months in between VTs and HTs. As an HSC bubba, I managed to get to the squadron just a little behind my HSL brethern. I was a LT, but most of the guys I went through flight school had the same sort of delays. How this will work out in the end...who knows.

Random Task

pilot
Thanks to everyone that gave me info on this program. I got accepted and am going to get my Masters in Mech Eng in one year. I have a related question. As far as training purposes go does this grad school program keep me in the FY-08 group or am I considered part of the FY-09 quota for flight school/designation purposes?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thanks to everyone that gave me info on this program. I got accepted and am going to get my Masters in Mech Eng in one year. I have a related question. As far as training purposes go does this grad school program keep me in the FY-08 group or am I considered part of the FY-09 quota for flight school/designation purposes?
Your YG is based on when you commission. It doesn't change until later on in your career if you deep select for promotion.

Rg9

pilot
I did the same thing as Ektar, IrishNavy05, etc. The only thing that it can really "hurt" you in is that you become class leader through half of flight school due to seniority.:eek:

If you want to do that masters, take the commission and do it. If I regretted anything it was that I hated school and had to do another year of it without seeing any benefits from my work yet, but I know it will pay off later, and "delaying" flight school a year is not going to really hurt me.

Good luck. It's an amazing deal they're give you.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I did the same thing as Ektar, IrishNavy05, etc. The only thing that it can really "hurt" you in is that you become class leader through half of flight school due to seniority.:eek:
Including SERE school.

Heh, heh, heh, heh.:icon_smil

Rg9

pilot
Including SERE school.

Heh, heh, heh, heh.:icon_smil
Tell me about it. They're sending me there AFTER the rag, so I'll only be a few months from O-3. We do have 1 guy senior to me in my class that still needs to go, though, so hopefully I'll be with him.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Think it may affect timing down the road, i.e., the disassociated tour, that is, you do not get a disassociated tour.:icon_wink:icon_wink

Could be wrong on this, so check it out. A MCPO wrong?:confused::confused:

Rg9

pilot
Think it may affect timing down the road, i.e., the disassociated tour, that is, you do not get a disassociated tour.:icon_wink:icon_wink

Could be wrong on this, so check it out. A MCPO wrong?:confused::confused:
I highly doubt it would change that. Your career path will be exactly the same as those w/o a masters, only you get to take it easy when you do your first shore tour as an O-3 while all your peers are either, one, paying out of pocket and doing night school to try to get a masters, or two, going full time for a masters while getting non-observed fitreps that will hurt them when they go up for promotion later.

You won't get out of a disassociated tour. We all have to play SWO at some point :( if we stay in.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
...You won't get out of a disassociated tour.

You think or know? World changes, sometimes. I know several folks that spent two years in gradschool immediately after Boat School. Told they would not have a disassociate tour. That was a few years back. If they are going to get that "dis" tour, they better hurry up b4 they retire.

MasterBates

Right now, according to the detailer, I don't do one either (SuperJO takes place of D-Tour).

However, see my signature.