• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question of the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

psu_midn

Greetings all,

After some deliberation, I think that I have decided to go SWO as my first choice (NFO as number 2). I will deal with the badgering later I am curious to know if only nuke trained officers can work on carriers. Also, is it hard to go nuke after being a non-nuke SWO?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny you should bring this topic up. For your first question, the answer is no. Carriers have a pretty big wardroom with all sorts of officers. However, as a SWO, you can also be assigned to the carrier in a number of billet assignments. For myself, I currently have orders to the ABRAHAM LINCOLN stationed out of Everett, WA. I am slated to be the Electrical Division Officer. Another non-nuke billet (engineering mind you) is the Auxiliaries Officer.

As for your second question, I am also in the process of waiting on a response on a package I sent in not too long ago requesting nuke power training. The process of submitting the package was pretty painless. I followed the outline in the MILPERS manual and sent the package in. Pretty darn simple. The catch with me is that I didn't take the full realm of calculus and calc based physics while in college. The only reason I applied was because 1) I am an ex nuke who did pretty well going throught he enlisted program, so I know a lot of what to expect and have a pretty good fundamental base on how the nuke plant works...and 2) my XO is a nuke who is good friends with the head nuke detailer at BUPERS...so maybe a couple strings can be pulled or waivers created for the lack of my calc based physics classes.

I actually got an email from my detailer a couple days ago saying it wasn't looking good. But then again, my detailer isn't a nuke, and if I get picked up for this training, he's gonna have to find someone else to take my spot on the LINCOLN. Hopefully, in the next few days I'll have somewhat more of a better idea what their decision is. And to tell you the truth, it's not the nuke detailer's decision...it's Naval Reactors'. So, we'll see. Hope that answers your question.

Steve Wilkins

psu_midn

Steve,

Thanks so much for the info. Nuke still peeking my interests. I was a math major before I switched to accounting, so hopefully that will help. I am pretty sure that I do not have the stellar grades to get into the pipeline now, perhaps it might be easier in the future coming from straight SWO.
When you see "Skip" Bowman, tell him I say hello (j/k)
Best of luck with your pakcage.

Jonah (Hopefully attending OCS in Aug!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.