• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question: Is it common (or possible even) for P-8 NFO’s to get stationed in Hawaii?

I’ve lived in Hawaii in the past and I know P-3’s used to frequent there a bit so I was just curious if anyone had any insight. Thanks!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ve lived in Hawaii in the past and I know P-3’s used to frequent there a bit so I was just curious if anyone had any insight. Thanks!
There are no P-8s stationed in Hawaii. They are based in Jacksonville, FL and Whidbey Island, WA (and a couple test squadrons in Pax River, MD). You may be detached to Hawaii to support an exercise or real world events, but they are not based in Hawaii.

After your first sea tour, you could get a non-flying job at a staff in Hawaii. There is a flying job on Kauai at PMRF Barking Sands, @Brett327 ‘s current command. I was stationed there as an enlisted guy back in the mid-to late 80s. Loved my time there.

Last edited:

Meyerkord

pilot
As others have mentioned, there are no P-8 squadrons based in Hawaii. However, there is basically a permanent rotational detachment out here that different squadrons rotate between every few months. That would be the closest you'd come to being "stationed" here, but I wouldn't count on it, at least for your first sea tour.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some shore duty options at PACFLT and INDOPACOM, but for JOs they are few and far between. More options for senior officers.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
As others have mentioned, there are no P-8 squadrons based in Hawaii. However, there is basically a permanent rotational detachment out here that different squadrons rotate between every few months. That would be the closest you'd come to being "stationed" here, but I wouldn't count on it, at least for your first sea tour.
Only whidbey squadrons execute the HLD mission in Hawaii. Jax squadrons have no HLD.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is, but it’s a very small footprint that basically keeps the lights on.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Even without a permanent presence, I have a feeling the VP dudes will still figure out a way lose 70+ buoys and then charge it to -37 because...they won't notice, right?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Even without a permanent presence, I have a feeling the VP dudes will still figure out a way lose 70+ buoys and then charge it to -37 because...they won't notice, right?
That’s because replacement buoys get bought using our per diem fund. Can’t be having that! 😀

Meyerkord

pilot
Please god no 😂 we're already strugglin out here

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Please god no 😂 we're already strugglin out here

So it has been, so it shall be.

Are you still drowning in VLADs? The only way we could get DIFARs was to get underway on a ship. I'm not even sure they make VLADs anymore, but I'm sure you can find 200 of them on K-Bay at any given moment...for the rest of time.

Meyerkord

pilot
So it has been, so it shall be.

Are you still drowning in VLADs? The only way we could get DIFARs was to get underway on a ship. I'm not even sure they make VLADs anymore, but I'm sure you can find 200 of them on K-Bay at any given moment...for the rest of time.
Every once in a while they’ll give us a few buoys to play with at the range if we’re chasing an EMATT, but they’re still mostly for shipboard ops.

We don’t use VLAD. Just DIFAR/DICASS

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In 2011 on my last P-3 home cycle the Navy was trying to dispose of the VLADs quickly. Had a couple CTFs where our gunner loaded us full up with them and told us not to bring any home.