• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for the NROTC Experienced

Status
Not open for further replies.

DairyCreamer

Gentlemen,

I have a plan. One that is fairly well-conceived, and one that I hope will assist me in the attainment of an SNA slot with an OCS date.

I am nary 10 month from graduating CU - Boulder with a BS in Chemical Engineering and a Minor in Atmospheric Science. I have a 2.5 GPA, 58/8/9/8 ASTB. Semester GPAs have been steadily rising over time.

Anyway, I am presently taking Naval Navigation, NAVR3020 (NROTC course) here at CU. I fully expect to get an A in the course.

Next semester, I have the ability to take 11 credit hours of NROTC courses in one semester. These classes be Intro to Naval Science, the second round of Naval Nav, Naval Leadership, and Naval Weapons Systems. I have 5 other credit hours I need to take to actually graduate.

*** Question ***
Do any of the above named classes take any inordinate amout of time in terms of work?

Compared to any of my engineering coursework, the current Naval Nav course I'm taking is cake. I was wondering if the other classes were similar.

I'm doing this primarily to bolster my App for Commission (for OCS). I hope that taking ROTC classes shows some serious initiative, and impresses the gentlemen in Millington. They're also fun to take! :icon_smil

Anyway, was curious... any other input too would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

~Nate

kray1395

None of the classes are very difficult. The second Nav course will not be any more difficult than the first one. If I could choose two of those classes not to take had I been given the choice, it would be Leadership and Weapons. Leadership can probably be very different depending on which university you are at, but weapons is just plain tedious. The reading is very dry and it has very little to do with actual weapons themselves. It's more about target aquisition and tracking. It will be interesting to see if folks in Millington like that you've taken them. If they like it, I would go ahead and take as many as you can. Just my .02

Ken

DairyCreamer

Along the Weps and Leadership class lines. I'd take leadership because it would be nice to know what leadership means and how to apply it. I think next semester is more along the actual how to lead lines where this semester's leadership is more like JAG type law stuff. I, of course, can't say for sure. The prof is the CO of the ROTC unit, he's a Col. in the Marines.

Weapons I'm just fascinated by anyway. I trust there is some tedium, but I find radar, sonar, tracking, etc. to be neat. What can I say, I'm a nerd :)

I appreciate the thoughts though, truly! Keep it comin :)

~Nate

kray1395 said:
<snip>
If I could choose two of those classes not to take had I been given the choice, it would be Leadership and Weapons. Leadership can probably be very different depending on which university you are at, but weapons is just plain tedious.
<snip>

Ken

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AlexFowler said:
Haven't taken the others, but Intro to Naval Science isn't difficult at all.

Intro to Naval Science is definitely the easiest class I have ever taken in my college career. Granted, some of that is because of the way my instructor set up the course, but still... I ended up with something like a 102 for the class- definitely an easy "A". You'll learn some cool stuff about the Navy in general and I'd recommend the class to anyone who has an interest.

AlexFowler

ben said:
Intro to Naval Science is definitely the easiest class I have ever taken in my college career. Granted, some of that is because of the way my instructor set up the course, but still... I ended up with something like a 102 for the class- definitely an easy "A". You'll learn some cool stuff about the Navy in general and I'd recommend the class to anyone who has an interest.

Haven't taken Leadership and Management yet I take it?? :D

DairyCreamer

I take it by these words that Leadership is less a walk in the park than the other classes? How much work are we talking? Not that I'll drop the idea of taking it, I'll have plenty of time to devote to the class. Just curious about what lies ahead.

~Nate

AlexFowler said:

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AlexFowler said:

Nope, I'm not ROTC and only took Intro Naval Science as an elective. It was a fun, really easy class.

kray1395

Well, to me, leadership and management was a kick in the nuts. I did have a lot of other stuff going on that same semester though. Basically, it was a bunch of case studies. I think we had to write at least two papers. They're not difficult, just annoying. I don't think you really learn a whole lot that will directly help you in the Navy. But it is an easy A, just like every other Naval Science course.

DairyCreamer

Pardon me if I don't consider a "kick in the nuts" to be an easy A :)

Not that I havn't been getting ro-sham-bo'd by my engineering degree the whole time anyway, so, I'm sure it won't be anything worse than that. Still though, the association with a painful groin and an A is usually a weak one :icon_tong

~Nate

kray1395 said:
Well, to me, leadership and management was a kick in the nuts. I did have a lot of other stuff going on that same semester though. Basically, it was a bunch of case studies. I think we had to write at least two papers. They're not difficult, just annoying. I don't think you really learn a whole lot that will directly help you in the Navy. But it is an easy A, just like every other Naval Science course.

kray1395

It was meant purely from the "This class is annoying" aspect. It wasn't a reflection at all of the easiness or difficulty of the class. It was just one of those classes that you hate getting up in the morning to go to. Basically, I could have used the time dedicated to that class working on design projects. Therefore it was, a kick in the nuts, and I got an A.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Based on my ROTC experience, if you ace Nav, you can handle any NAVSC class out there. Go for broke! Just practice those Mo Boards if you take Nav II. Poor SWOS . . . ;)

DairyCreamer

I got a 100% on my MoBoard test last Friday :) Got like a 98 on my flags / Nav Rules test too. It's a pretty easy course. I hope the others are as fun as this one.

~Nate

nittany03 said:
Based on my ROTC experience, if you ace Nav, you can handle any NAVSC class out there. Go for broke! Just practice those Mo Boards if you take Nav II. Poor SWOS . . . ;)

rare21

pilot
Contributor
leadership and management isnt that bad if you have an awesome CO. I think i had the first part with the XO and it was a snore. The second part I had with the CO and it was awesome

DairyCreamer

Yah, I'll be taking L&M from our ROTC's CO. He's a Col. in the Marine Corps. I havn't heard too much about him personally, but his student reviews seem quite positive. We'll see what happens!

~Nate

rare21 said:
leadership and management isnt that bad if you have an awesome CO. I think i had the first part with the XO and it was a snore. The second part I had with the CO and it was awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.