• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for an Old Salt

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Also I think there are plenty of people in API who will say that "getting into flight school is pretty much guaranteed"... I'm not saying you shouldn't be a pilot... I'm not saying you shouldn't be a SEAL...

I am saying that the situation in Pensacola has changed significantly in the past year.... being a 2/c things could drastically change if/when you end up at Pensacola. But keep in mind that things are competitive in other areas besides SPECWAR and I would advise against thinking that any warfare specialty is going to be easy to get into. I know people who DOR'd / attrited from flight school that aren't getting picked up for ANYTHING... not SWO, INTEL, Supply... they are getting separated from the Navy.

Just keep it in mind as you look at your career options... It's good that you're thinking about this ahead of time so good on you for that... but make sure you weigh EVERY OPTION seriously... take nothing for granted.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
If you have questions about becoming a SEAL, go to socnet.com as they will be well equipped to answer those questions. Pay attention to their posting rules.

GreenLantern330

To add to what feddoc said, don't forget you're in a NAVAL AVIATION forum. No offense to anyone who has given FARMBOY some advice or insight, but wouldn't you think the answers to your question is a bit biased? Just a thought, besides at the end of the day, it is YOUR decision; so do what you think you'll be more happy. Do more research on both NA and SEALs. See what the requirements are for what, the benefits, lifestyle, etc. Also, see if you can get your hands on this show the Military Channel had about BUD/s. It followed one of the classes there, so you get to see exactly what SEAL training is like for both enlisted and officer. Make sure whatever you choose is truly what you want without a doubt. Best of luck!

FARMBOY

Thanks for everyones input. GreenLantern330, my efforts were to get answers from the guys on here that have had experience as Naval Aviators, who may have had some regrets/opinions about their careers. I do realize this is a Naval Aviation forum, and that is precisely why I posted it here, as well as a Navy Seals forum. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your response, and you make a valid point. I am leaning towards sticking with the track I am on now, and being grateful for the opportunity presented (especially in today's job market). I think I would regret trying to do something I have only, relatively recently, been introduced to. However, I think its a smart decision to keep my options open, no matter what I have decided!

Thanks for the help, ALL.

FARMBOY

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You ever go running/exercise and just hit that wall where you can't lift your arms up or take another step? Well you hit that wall several times a day but have to keep going. I just couldn't keep going mentally, couldn't push past those walls anymore. Physically everyones bodies are broken down to barely functionable status.

In my opinion everyone that makes it made it up in their minds that no matter what happened they were going to be a SEAL, that meant sacrificing your body and never giving up. Those guys just "had it".

@OP, if you want some more descriptive examples, read "Warrior Elite" by Dick Couch. Great read, and it does a great job illustrating how tough BUD/S is and how so many just reach a breaking point and DOR.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The "I'd kick myself in the ass if I look back and never tried X" argument is a worthwhile one, but can sometimes lead one astray.

In this case, you could enlist, DOR or physically DQ at BUD/S, end up as a bos'n's mate and chip paint for 4 years. In that case, you could be hearing a plane roar off the bow of the ship and wish you could be there.

Pick what you really want to do, but pick it knowing that the "back-up" may not ever be there.

Also, think about what it is that makes you think about going SEAL. Is it the idea of being a SEAL, or is it actually doing what they do? Sure, everyone wants to be the bad-ass with the Budweiser walking around the base, but are you actually a guy who wants to be sitting in a bug-infested hide site in 100-deg heat? It ain't all clearing buildings with MP5s. There's a lot of shit to deal with.

As a related example, in the Marines, everyone wants to be Recon, but the question really is, do you like being a grunt? Because Recon does what grunts do, just more of it.

Speaking of which, have you thought about the Marines? You can fly, but will still likely get the chance to play in the woods at some point as a FAC if you want to.