• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about PRT

vreyes90

Got a few questions & concerns. [Female, 24]

When I took my PRT exam w/ my recruiter I got a 15:10 on the 1.5mile run, 30 pushups, 48 situps. She said that I passed but that before I go to OCS [May 5] she wants me to be at 14:10min run, 56 situps. I've been practicing & can only get about 65 situps, 40 pushups & my run at 14:50min. Any advice? Will this affect my OCS date?

Another question is that I've been training but still on the heavy side. I've had my body fat measured was told for my height & weight it's was great since I've gained alot of muscle. Never was a small girl. Are there any women who went through OCS and graduated who had the same problem.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Will this affect my OCS date?

It shouldn't. All you need to do at the In-PRT is pass. Your recruiter is just looking out for you, because the more physically prepared you are when you arrived, the less you'll have to worry about.

I don't know if they still do this, but they like to have you at Out-PRT standards (excellent low) by the mid-PRT (week 6) so that if you turn an ankle or some other freak accident that would prevent you from running the Out-PRT in week 10, they'll scores they can use in its place. Just something to think about.

AKM56LB

I agree with thisguy. When we were putting together my package, my rec. told me that I should be at EL on the PRT (just for the package).

vreyes90

I'm definitely going to try to improve my scores. The run is my main concern but I think by then I'll be good to go.

My goal is 70 situps, 40 pushups, 14 min run.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Hey, you try running with boobs.

Maybe you speak from experience...:)

MasterBates

When you are running from an aircraft fire, or from enemy fire, the flames or bullets do not particularly care if you have boobs or not.

And, what about the women who I do have a bigger chest than? Do THEY have to go on the Men's standard due to lack of boob?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
It depends on whether or not you being in the woman category.

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
I don't know if this post is still active or not, but I feel like I should give my two cents for this one, since it is something I feel strongly about.

I am a female, and I went through OCS. The most valuable information I can give anyone, much less a female about going through OCS is to be physically ready. I'm NOT saying make sure you can pass the PRT. I'm saying make sure you can KICK ASS on the PRT.

The PRT is the first time the drill instructors see you. You will make a name for yourself from the get-go if you go out and crush the run. They are all watching and you want to do well.

That being said, here's another thing I feel strongly about. You are a female and already in the spotlight because there are so few of us. Many feel like we shouldn't be here, that we are not as capable as men, and that we can't handle the military lifestyle and way of live. I'm not saying everyone feels this way, but its out there and we know it. So... why not, for argument's sake, hold yourself not to the female standards but to the male standards? If it were me, I would not be satisfied with merely getting a "high medium" or whatever the heck its called on the female side, but try to aim for that on the men's side?

I know not everyone is a runner, nor is everyone an athelete, but have a little pride in yourself and your future career. Show your classmates, your drill instructors and your Candi-Os that you're serious about why you are at OCS and you plan to kick some ass.

At my present command, we have a PRT coming up in a week or so, and I'm doing everything in my power to get ready for it, as, like I said above, I don't just want to max out the female time, but max out the male time AND beat the CO. If you need any tips on how to get your run time down, or how to improve your situp and pushup score, PM me, reply to this post, whatever because I want to make sure you show up at OCS and do the very best you can.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
At my present command, we have a PRT coming up in a week or so, and I'm doing everything in my power to get ready for it, as, like I said above, I don't just want to max out the female time, but max out the male time AND beat the CO.

Good ideas. This will not only earn your the respect of the higher ups, but also your male counterparts who are held to much stricter standards. WRT beating the CO, I didn't run our PRT with the Capt, but I did beat him the last time we ran a 5 mile loop. :D

badger16

None
Did someone mention boobs??:D

In all seriousness. The best advise I can give you for getting better at running...is to do it ALOT. Its not rocket science. Run hard and Run consistently. Also alot of running is a giant head game. You have to keep pushing yourself further. How I tought myself to do this when I first started running is whenever I would feel like I needed to stop to walk or to catch my breath I would push myself to go a bit further and sprint that last bit, or at least run at a noticibly faster pace. At the start it was only an extra block or so but I kept pushing the distance to prove to myself that just because my body told me to stop it didn't mean I needed to stop. Just my 2 cents.