• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about pre-OCS course info

BullGator

My OR gave me a "OCS Commitment to Success" sheet* to sign, saying that I have accessed the www.cnic.navy.mil/greatlakes (changed from www.nsgreatlakes.navy.mil/otcp/ that it actually reads on the sheet*) website and reviewed it's contents.

I found and searched the site, but can't find the otcp part of it. Where can I find this? I also searched the NKO site (where they offer courses- but I don't know which to take though...). Both of those sites have tons of links and I just can't find what my sheet* says, the "/otcp/" section.

Please help if you have any idea. My OR is sick and cannot answer the phone, and I already signed the sheet so I want to get started on getting a leg up, knowledge-wise. Also, what does otcp stand for?

Which courses should I take from NKO?

schwarti

Contributor
OTCP stands for Officer Training Command Pensacola - it's outdated. OCS is now in Newport, so it's Officer Training Command Newport (I believe).

https://www.netc.navy.mil/nstc/otcn/Schoolhouses/OCS/index.htm

I think that's the link they want you to look at. As for the NKO stuff - I've heard that you should do it ahead of time, but I've also heard not to worry about it. I'm interested in hearing what the BTDT guys have to say.

BullGator

OTCP stands for Officer Training Command Pensacola - it's outdated. OCS is now in Newport, so it's Officer Training Command Newport (I believe).

https://www.netc.navy.mil/nstc/otcn/Schoolhouses/OCS/index.htm

I think that's the link they want you to look at. As for the NKO stuff - I've heard that you should do it ahead of time, but I've also heard not to worry about it. I'm interested in hearing what the BTDT guys have to say.
Thank you for the help and the link too. Very cool. I've been checking out most of the site-links. (It's too bad I can't bring vitamins to OCS. I love me my vitamins: haven't had a cold in 3 years, and I can't imagine a time when you would need them more with all the PT and studying. Oh well, gotta do what ya gotta do. Not trying to sound like a pansy, I'll be fine).

I'm not doubting you schwarti, but it comes as a shock to me that it's not in P-cola. I could have sworn it was, ...but I may be confusing OCS with PFT in Pensacola. Would it make a difference if I live in Florida for which OCS I attend?

rhinoh82

There is only one OCS. It was moved to Newport from Pensacola awhile back, so no matter where you live in the US you'll attend Navy OCS in Newport.

Also, it was advised to me to complete as many, if not all, of the NKO courses before reporting to OCS. If you are trying to complete them at OCS that will be that much less time you'll have than other candidates to prepare for things like inspections or studying for graded tests. I would strongly recommend completing all of them before reporting to OCS. They tell you about them for a reason!

FDX

It's mind games!
For the NKO website:

I'm final select for OCS. User registration requirements state that delayed entry personnel are eligible. Does this include OCS final selects, or is that only the BDCP/ROTC type? Does anyone know which type I should register as? User or guest?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You need to be in the DEERS system. If you are in DEERS you can get an ID card. Being in DEERS allows you to create an account on NKO. People who are "OCS final selects" are nothing in the eyes of the Navy.

Stretch32

There is only one OCS. It was moved to Newport from Pensacola awhile back, so no matter where you live in the US you'll attend Navy OCS in Newport.

Also, it was advised to me to complete as many, if not all, of the NKO courses before reporting to OCS. If you are trying to complete them at OCS that will be that much less time you'll have than other candidates to prepare for things like inspections or studying for graded tests. I would strongly recommend completing all of them before reporting to OCS. They tell you about them for a reason!

As stated, OCS is now in Newport, RI (along with ODS). The first class checked in up there in AUG of 2007 (Class 01-08). There is no more OCS in P-cola.

As for NKO courses, if you can get to them and get it done thats great. If not, you'll have time to do them while your there. I didn't have any completed before I checked in. Generally, unless changed, certain courses are due by certain points during OCS. Your class leaders should be able to request time from the class team to get over to the computer lab at King Hall to get them all done (normally DI's/Class CPO's and Class O's want their classes to complete them in a timely manner and will work to accomplish this). Also, you'll have access to a computer lab in Nimitz Hall after indoc week to start working on them (normally after sweepers and before taps and on Sundays). OCS, is a pressure cooker so not having all the NKO courses done isn't really going to add alot to the stress level unless you wait until the day before its all due to complete them (even then, I think that day was in Candi-O phase so you'll have time there as well).

As a quick note, unless things have changed drastically in the last 8 months to a year, there's alot of gouge floating around to help you study for tests and complete NKO courses while there.

Stretch

BullGator

For the NKO website:

I'm final select for OCS. User registration requirements state that delayed entry personnel are eligible. Does this include OCS final selects, or is that only the BDCP/ROTC type? Does anyone know which type I should register as? User or guest?
Thanks for helping guys.

I can't specifically answer your question FDX, but for NKO I registered as a user (as a civilian and not even with a package sent yet). It was no problem registering for me. I don't know what DEERS is (/stands for?) or have any special ID card, but I believe as long as your information is in the computer that you can register; I did fill out my security clearance on that website too, that probably helped. You just register with NKO and it will tell you to wait a day/2days and then try to access it.

Anyone that can specifically answer FDX that would be great.

BullGator

I was just on NKO, and trying to find some relevant e-learning courses that aren't too advanced (still no luck) and I looked at my profile and it says retired military for my status: how bizzare? I think I have to look into this...

schwarti

Contributor
NKO status is often odd. Heard about some O-1 who logged in for the first time to be greeted by, "Hello, Fleet Admiral!" Apparently he got bumped to O-11. Who knew?