• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about PLC-air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions for me. First of all, i was talking to one of my buddies the other day and he informed me he had joined the Marines and had just got processed like two days ago. He is a Freshman in college majoring in aviation flight (as am I)...although he is only a freshman, he said he already has a pilot slot. I was just wondering how that works with the Marines? I know that they are in need of pilots right now...but will they really guarantee a pilot contract to someone as a freshman in college?? My buddy was saying how he will be going in for training 6weeks this summer and then another 6 weeks the following summer..and my understanding is that, that is the PLC classes right? (if i am wrong, please correct me!) Then after college he'll be going to OCS? I am wondering because I am starting considering options the Marines offer for pilots. I have always wanted to fly military but i know that the Air Force and Navy are definitely not in need of pilots as of now. One more question i have is: how easily (or how hard) is it to get a waiver for eyesight? My eyesight is currently 20/80 and it hasn't changed in over a year. I am aware of the PRK option..but i'd only do that as a last resort. Anywayz, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok here is the down and dirty though there is a lot of inof here if you search some threads. What your friend got is PLC-air which means he has been given the chance to be a Marine Officer notice I didnt say pilot. If he proves himslef worthy at Offcier Candidate school he will be commisioned a second Lieutenant and given the MOS of 7599 (student naval aviator) pending the medical clearance. This is different from the ground contract guys who will compete at the basic school for their MOSs. Your friend will not have ot compete he will at the completion of TBS go to Pensacola and be afforded the opportunity to go to flgiht school and IF he makes it will be winged as a Marine aviator flying whatever our beloved Coprs has decided to bestow on him (or if he is nember one whatever he wants)
The best thing to do is read some of the posts from guys going through this right now. It has beena few years for me. Good luck

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Your friend/you will attend PLC juniors this summer for 6 weeks. Then in the summer between Jr and Snr year you will attend PLC Seniors for another 6 weeks. That's it for OCS. Upon graduation from a 4 year institution you will be offered a commision as a 2nd Lt. Then you have TBS and will follow the progression Skid describes. Knowing this, talk to your buddy's OSO. He will get you going and explain the intricacies of an air contract. Good Luck

van01017

I graduated from OCS (PLC combined) last August. I completed all my physicals before attending, which includes both MEPS and the naval flight physical. To answer your question, 20/80 might be pushing it for a pilot slot. I think 20/40 correctable to 20/20 is within standards. I don’t think you would have any trouble getting a NFO slot though (assuming you have decent grades and get a first class PFT score).
Here’s a complete list of physical requirements: http://www.vnh.org/AeroWaiverGuide/exams.htm

My understanding according to my OSO is that PLC is just about the only way to get an aviation slot this year. Last year there must have been a surplus of slots to fill, there were several guys in my platoon over the summer that were forced to take an aviation contract, who actually wanted ground contracts. This year OCC’ers (graduated students attending OCS) have only a handful of aviation slots to fill. PLC is the best way to go if you want a real chance at getting the air contract.

Good luck

theduke

there were several guys in my platoon over the summer that were forced to take an aviation contract, who actually wanted ground contracts.

tell everyone NOT to do this anymore. there's a brand new policy in effect, stating that if you drop an aviation contract at TBS, you don't get to put in your "wish list" or compete for MOS selection--you just get what you get, as per the needs of the Marine Corps.

they'd had a lot of people doing what you were talking about doing, largely due to bad guidance from OSOs.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Last year there must have been a surplus of slots to fill, there were several guys in my platoon over the summer that were forced to take an aviation contract, who actually wanted ground contracts.

"Forced" to take an air contract? I don't understand that rationale. Generally, most join the Corps to have a combat MOS. Every aviator can be a grunt but not every grunt can be or have the opportunity to be an aviator. Of course, if your desire is to be Supply, Data Dink, Motor T, PAO etc then I guess I can understand the change in policy. Semper Fly, Frumby

Broadsword2004

Hey one other thing, as I forgot this, but what is the age limit to become a pilot in the Marine Corps? I read somewhere it was 26, but then I've also read it is 27, and 28 even (confused).

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Age is waiverable to 31 but it is tough to get but not impossible. 27 is the standard schoolhouse answer. Semper Fly, Frumby

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Broadsword2004 said:
Hey one other thing, as I forgot this, but what is the age limit to become a pilot in the Marine Corps? I read somewhere it was 26, but then I've also read it is 27, and 28 even (confused).

You have to be commissioned before 26.5 years old to get a Marine flight contract. You also have a snowball's chance in hell of getting an age waiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.