• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Officer Pay

eDennis

Hello,
I was and still am considering becoming a Navy Officer. With my degree I can get a job that pays between 60-80k as a Health Care Admin.

If I Goto the Navy, I believe officers start at O1 pay grade which is roughly between 32-40k prior to allowances.

How hard / long does it take for Officers to be promoted to O3/O4 pay grade range?

What interested me about the Navy is the ability to see the world from a different view, and to experience something different in life.

Thank you,
Dennis

navy09

None
This is an awesome site you can use to see what you'll "really" make.

http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/mpcalcs/Calculators/RMC.aspx

Use O3 w/ 5 yrs as an example...you'll earn ~$77k/yr, but because BAH (housing/crib allowance) and BAS (food/beer allowance) are tax-free pay, you end up with the same take-home as a civilian who earns ~84k/yr.

These numbers don't count sea pay, flight pay, hazardous duty pay, retention bonuses, etc.

Bottom line, you'll probably earn more over your career as a military officer than as a health care administrator (though there certainly are exceptions). Don't join the military for the money- it won't be worth it.

EDIT: O3 in 4 years, O4 in 8-10 years.

MasterBates

O2 is 2 years to the day after commissioning.

O3 is 2 more years after that.

This is all assumed you have not been a "bad person" (DUI, criminal charges, overweight)

You will either get BAH or live for "free" in govt quarters. You won't see an equivalent to the 60-80k until JG at the earliest. Probably more like LT honestly. If you are in an area with high BAH you might approach that as a JG.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Attached are the 2009 Pay Tables. 2010 pay is a proposed 3.4% increase.

I won't comment on the "fat" and promotion thing.

Attachments

• 2009MilitaryPayTables.pdf
    324.8 KB · Views: 38

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
That pay raise is always supposed to be based on inflation, right? It's not just Congress liking us 3% more per year?

eDennis

Thanks Guys for the great info.

Honestly, it's not entirely for the money. I'm just tired of living the same monotonous life, day in and day out. I'm 26 (will be 27) in November, and I'm just wanting to experience something different. I want to make an impact in this world and living the life I'm living now, I'm not creating the legacy I want to leave.. if that makes sense.

Thanks again!

Dennis

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Are you looking at being an Aviator? Youre going to be tapping the bell pretty soon if you want to be an aviator.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

funny-pictures-kangaroo-punch.jpg

P3 F0

None
Nope. Out of height weight or even a fat picture is a show stopper.
You're a Marine, right? You guys have an instruction saying, in effect, that you have to look good in uniform. But I'm not aware of a NAVINST for that. Am I having a senior moment?