• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about officer obligation

nmj190

I'm a college graduate that is considering OCS. My question is about the service obligation once you are commissioned. I guess I just wanted clarification on the time frame when they say 4 years active-duty for ground officers and 6-8 years active duty for pilots. Does this mean that once you have served the specified amount of time, then you are no longer obligated to any type of duty with the marines?

The reason I ask is that I feel like becoming a marine officer and going through OCS and TBS would be a great character/leadership building experience, but my hope is to pursue other things outside of the military once my obligation is met.

Carno

Insane
Yes, if you are a ground officer, you can resign your commission after four years of active duty and leave the military. You will still be in the inactive reserves for four more years, however. What that means is that although you will be out of the Marines, they can recall you any time during those next four years after you get out.

If you are a helo pilot, your commitment is six years and if you are a fixed wing pilot your commitment is eight years. A big thing about pilots is that your commitment begins only after you have completed flight school. So you have to go through OCS, TBS and a couple years of flight school before your commitment even begins.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Yes, Marine Officers with ground contracts serve at least 4 yrs active duty while Marines with aviation contracts are committed to 6-8 yrs (after winging) dependant on the airframe they end up with. Simple fact is that every Marine currently serving and many of those who will soon join WILL be going into a combat zone during their tour. If you are not ready for that then don't join.

I would caution that MANY people try to get into the Marine Corps for the "leadership" experience, but many of them never make it and most of those that do end up being miserable because their aren't doing it for the right reasons. If you want to join because you want some good intern experience then look somewhere else...because frankly our young Marines deserve better than that...

nmj190

Thanks for the responses guys.

Jamnww, I agree, one must be ready to accept the fact that combat is a reality for anyone in the military given the situation in the middle east at this time. I think its something to consider very seriously before deciding to become an officer.

I'm also wondering what you feel the right reasons are for becoming an officer?

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
I'm also wondering what you feel the right reasons are for becoming an officer?

oh I don't know, probably something about serving your country. it sounds corny but I think most of us consider ourselves patriots first. Not trying to give you a hard time dude, you're right that the leadership challenges/opportunities you will likely deal with as a Marine officer would without a doubt be a beneficial experience and are one of many good reasons to serve. I think my point and where jamnw is coming from is that these "character building" experiences should be kind of a fringe benefit of the job, not the main reason for becoming an officer.

nmj190

oh I don't know, probably something about serving your country. it sounds corny but I think most of us consider ourselves patriots first. Not trying to give you a hard time dude, you're right that the leadership challenges/opportunities you will likely deal with as a Marine officer would without a doubt be a beneficial experience and are one of many good reasons to serve. I think my point and where jamnw is coming from is that these "character building" experiences should be kind of a fringe benefit of the job, not the main reason for becoming an officer.

Well said, I understand where you're coming from.

pdx

HSM Pilot
If you are a helo pilot, your commitment is six years and if you are a fixed wing pilot your commitment is eight years.

Right now (and for the past few years), all aviators are committed to wings + 8. These kind of things change from year to year, though.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Right now (and for the past few years), all aviators are committed to wings + 8. These kind of things change from year to year, though.

I think that is only for the Navy side of the house. (Not sure if you're USMC or Navy, PDX) My contract states 6 heloes, 8 fixed wing. But then again that might have been different a couple years ago or now. Cheers!

pdx

HSM Pilot
I think that is only for the Navy side of the house. (Not sure if you're USMC or Navy, PDX) My contract states 6 heloes, 8 fixed wing. But then again that might have been different a couple years ago or now. Cheers!

I am Navy, so it could be different. My Marine classmates, however, also have 8 year commitments (those I know about anyway). Like I said, though, things change. Whatever your contract says, thats what you are obligated to.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
The word around here is that the newer guys getting accepted with air slots will all be 8 years after winging, regardless of airframe. Not quite sure when this is slated to begin or if it already has, but its coming.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Marine Corps Officer Obligations Breakdown

Ground Officers - 3 1/2 year of active duty unless you've taken money from the government. If you are PLC and take money in the form of FAP (Financial Assistance Program $300, $350, $400) you have to do 4 full years of active duty. If you are PLC and take money in the form of TAP (Tuition Assistance Program $5,200 per college year) your pay back is 5 Years. OCC'er doesn't matter.

Pilot/NFO - 6 to 8 Years after you earn your wings regardless of you taking money from TAP/FAP is you're PLC. If you fly fix wing it's 8 years. If you fly props or rotary wing it's 6 years. NFO 6 years. OCC'er doesn't matter.

Lawyers - 3 1/2 year of active duty unless you've taken money from the government. If you are PLC-Law and take money the form of TAP (Tuition Assistance Program $5,200 per college year) your pay back is 5 Years. OCC'er doesn't matter.

I hope this helps.