• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Navy Insurance

Hammer10k

pilot
Hi all,

I'm heading out to OCS in a month. Several weeks ago I went to an "American Ninja Warrior" course and injured my shoulder. I didn't think it was more than a strain at the time but I am starting to suspect a possible rotator cuff tear. The pain is manageable but persistent, though it shouldn't keep me from graduating OCS. I canceled my current insurance knowing that the armed forces provide. However, I wish now that I had waited so I could schedule an ortho exam and possible MRI. Is this something that Navy insurance will cover once I'm on the other end of OCS?

Thank you!

Hammer10k

pilot
I hear you. It'll be tough but I can do push-ups pain free. It's the overhead stuff that hurts.

exNavyOffRec

Here is the shitty thing I am going to tell you, since you hurt yourself you must tell your recruiter, before you go you have to fill out a form basically saying you haven't done anything and are in good shape. If you get to OCS and they find out that you had this before (nothing in OCS should cause this injury) then you can be discharged for fraudulent enlistment.

I have had 2 close friends with that injury, the one in really good shape took 6 months after surgery until he was able to start working out again doing push ups.

jtmedli

pilot
I'll echo what the others said. Waiting a few months to go to OCS is better than screwing it away by lying it getting hurt. You could also end up spending 3 months or more in H-class which is much worse than just waiting.

Hammer10k

pilot
Thanks ya'll. I just scheduled an ortho appointment. Have to add that I don't know if its a tear or something serious as I've never had shoulder problems. In case I pop back in after OCS I don't want anyone thinking I'm a fraudster!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'll echo what the others said. Waiting a few months to go to OCS is better than screwing it away by lying it getting hurt. You could also end up spending 3 months or more in H-class which is much worse than just waiting.

A thousand times this.

romoth

How would this work, would he just have to tell his OR he cant make it to that OCS date due to an injury? Will he lose his Pro Rec or just be moved to a different class?

sickboy

pilot
Thanks ya'll. I just scheduled an ortho appointment. Have to add that I don't know if its a tear or something serious as I've never had shoulder problems. In case I pop back in after OCS I don't want anyone thinking I'm a fraudster!

Make sure you get your insurance squared away.

Redux

I hear you. It'll be tough but I can do push-ups pain free. It's the overhead stuff that hurts.
I hear you............ had both of mine rebuilt. Overhead hurt like hell, now (at 3 times your age) I can do most anything EXCEPT throw a ball. Surgery hurt....... therapy hurt even more! :p

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Hammer,
If you have indeed sustained a rotator cuff injury, do your homework on the orthopedic surgeon before you select one to do the repair. Shoulder surgery can be complicated and somewhat specialized, and the best results are obtained by the surgeons who do the most repairs. You don't want to be treated by the guy who saw one in internship 10 years ago. Try to find someone who has been trained specifically in shoulder surgery, and getting one who treats professional athletes would be a significant plus. As mentioned above, rehab is the second key to a good outcome. Figure on at least 6 months of recovery and rehab before it gets right again.
Best of luck.
R/

Redux

Most large ortho practices have doc's that specialize in shoulders, knees, ankles ect. Make an appointment and hopefully they can scope it, very unevasive if done correctly. My doc was known around town as being a primadonna and for treating his people like shit. He was also known for being a great surgeon..... gotta do what you gotta do, he was fine by me. Hope you have or get good insurance, I had two so out of pocket expense was nil.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Hi all,

I'm heading out to OCS in a month. Several weeks ago I went to an "American Ninja Warrior" course and injured my shoulder. I didn't think it was more than a strain at the time but I am starting to suspect a possible rotator cuff tear. The pain is manageable but persistent, though it shouldn't keep me from graduating OCS. I canceled my current insurance knowing that the armed forces provide. However, I wish now that I had waited so I could schedule an ortho exam and possible MRI. Is this something that Navy insurance will cover once I'm on the other end of OCS?

Thank you!
So I banged up my shoulder a few years back and asked my sister (a PA) about it when it didn't get better after 2 weeks. Unless you have restricted range of motion or are in unbearable pain (as in, you can't move your arm), it is unlikely that you would even be given an MRI let alone prescribed surgery. Shoulder surgery is complicated with a long recovery process, and there is a significant chance that you recover with some kind of limitation - which means that you'd be PDQ'd from the military.

The good news is that the fact that you are doing push ups and even considered attending OCS with this injury makes it sound like it is minor and the treatment is going to be rest and advil. Without insurance the doc may not even bother sending you for an MRI, since without surgery the treatment for a sprained rotator cuff or AC joint is the same.

The bad news is that depending on the issue and severity it could take up to 6-12 months before it fully heals.