• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Military ID

pensfan341

Not sure what forum this belongs in but I have a question about my recently acquired Military ID (I am in BDCP).

When is it appropriate to use? Do I show it when I go to the bars? What type of places usually offer discounts and when is it appropriate to ask

My friends made a big fuss recently that I didn't mention it while buying tickets to see a movie so I thought I'd ask.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Ask as much as you want about a military discount. You're part of the military right?

I tend to not use my military ID out at bars, just personal preference. I have friends who use theirs all the time.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Home Depot offers 10% discount, but you have to ask about it at checkout.

PS Tell your friends to get their own or STFU.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
I can only say from what I do.

If I see a sign or somewhere on the menu mentioning military discounts, then by all mean ill show my ID. The only time I asked about military discounts without seeing a sign is for car Insurance. Bars I use my drivers license; even though you might come across someone who will by a service member a drink, if im out drinking i'll prefer to stay anonymous. Sometime a little research can tell you whether or not a place has discounts but when I doubt I just pay up. Last thing I want to do is look like a coupon collecting, nickle and dimer.

Oh and side note. Ive gotten out of a couple tickets with my military ID but to not come across as a sleaze trying to get out of a ticket I keep my military ID behind my CA driver's license. That way when the officer is watching me pull out my license he will see the military ID behind it (I have one of those clear card holders in my wallet).

EDIT: At the bars I will tell people im in the military and graciously accept a offer for a drink, I just dont make a point to bring it up or show my ID.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I use drivers license at bars because many folks have a hard time finding dob on the cac card....that and my social is on the cac so I don't like them holding that behind the bar in places that do that.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Last thing I want to do is look like a coupon collecting, nickle and dimer.

//Threadjack//

I understand the stigma you are referencing but...

If a discount is available, what is wrong with taking advantage of it via asking about it or providing the coupon? I am not saying we are entitled to a military discount but don't pass it up because you don't want to "look" cheap. Those nickels and dimes let you buy more depreciating assets like your avatar.

Old Guy Advice - There are far too many ensigns making poor financial decisions early in their career. The impact of those poor decisions will last for many years. Start off right and you can have the option to get out at the end of your commitment because your finances are in order. Stay in after a good start and the money/QOL can be sick. You can be rich if you do it right.

*** I am not talking down to anyone. I am just frustrated that the Navy does a piss poor job of educating their young Sailors when it comes to finances. IMO, the Navy chooses not to educate because it would effect retention. I have seen it for 20+ years and I try to bring it up when I can in the hopes at least a few of you will listen.

If this gets split we can discuss more. PM me if anyone has a question.

//End Threadjack//

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
//continue threadjack...I don't think it's a conspiracy that commands don't educate servicemembers about money. It's just that it's one more straw to put on an overloaded camel of training priorities. We'd have to take out the lecture on using sunscreen at the beach and how to treat jellyfish stings out of the safety standdown to accommodate it.
//end threadjack

Use the military ID at military facilities. Use the civilian one off base, unless you need to prove you're in the military for some reason. The SSN thing alone is enough reason, not to mention the tool factor. Also--apparently cigarette and alcohol promoters are SCANNING military IDs at clubs frequented by servicemen. In exchange guys get free cigs, shots, whatever. That's an identity scam waiting to happen.

Anyway, as far as discounts, ask for them as appropriate, but don't look like you're whoring out your service to our country. The hardware store's fine. If a theater or chain restaurant has a student discount, they'll usually do a military discount. Research in advance if appropriate--call the store if necessary. If it's a big enough purchase that 5 or 10% is a big deal, then you should reseach things and comparison shop anyway.

Don't go someplace nice and ask your f-ing waiter for a military discount. Use your cabeza. I'll spend an extra $3 to maintain my dignity.

Gus Gorilla

+1 to pretty much all of the above.
Sometimes it's just better to stay anonymous. Seems like in places far from bases with little military contact there's always some loudmouth that either wants to tell you a story about how he was "almost a SEAL but was too badass" or wants to pick a fight, or both. If there's a student discount, there's a military discount. If it's someplace a student wouldn't be (swanky bar/restaurant) then just cork it. Identifying yourself to the authorities can be beneficial in the right context just don't be expecting anything.

BoomGoDynamite

FlyBoyd,

If a thread split is possible I'd be really interested in hearing any and all Old Guy Advice you have for someone who is starting their career as an officer in the Navy.

Also, I've read up on the Thrift Savings Plan and it's my understanding that the Navy doesn't match contributions, is that correct?

Thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Anyway, as far as discounts, ask for them as appropriate, but don't look like you're whoring out your service to our country. The hardware store's fine. If a theater or chain restaurant has a student discount, they'll usually do a military discount. Research in advance if appropriate--call the store if necessary. If it's a big enough purchase that 5 or 10% is a big deal, then you should reseach things and comparison shop anyway.

Here's an easy way to get a military discount at retail stores without asking (it's happened to me more than a few times): Pay with your credit card, and when they ask to see ID, show your military ID. If there's a discount the cashier will usually say "Oh, you get the military discount," and proceed to ring it up.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's an easy way to get a military discount at retail stores without asking (it's happened to me more than a few times): Pay with your credit card, and when they ask to see ID, show your military ID. If there's a discount the cashier will usually say "Oh, you get the military discount," and proceed to ring it up.

Good advice. Recently on a wine tasting trip in Paso Robles with a bunch of old retired farts, I used my retired mil ID instead of a driver's license for a credit card purchase. The sales person saw that and said to my complete surprise, "Oh, you get a 10% military discount."

Most of our group were retired military, but I was the only one to get it because I used my military, rather than civilian ID. (That quickly changed, however when I mentioned it to them.) Of the 10 wineries we visited, 2 gave us 10% discounts... and we loaded up on wine at those wineries in appreciation, letting them know why.

And as HJ said earlier, not only Home Depot, but also Lowes gives active and retired military a 10% discount.

Don't be shy, be thankful. You are, or have earned it. It also shows which businesses appreciate your service. So use it, and thank them.

Times have thankfully changed since my early active duty days.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Movie theaters. I haven't paid full price for a ticket in years.

And other tourist attractions (zoo, amusement park, mini golf, museums, etc.) usually have a discount, even if they don't publicize it. One time I went to the Met in NYC in my blues and not only did they give free admission to me and everyone with me, they gave us discount coupons for the restaurant.

Never gotten a discount in a bar, but I have used my military ID in them and had people send drinks my way. "Thank you for your service." "Thank you for this free Jack and Coke!"