• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Marines/Blue Angels

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Hey gentlemen, one of the freshly commissioned 2nd Lts. that ive been PT's with, is contracted air, and wants 18's says he really wants to fly for the blues. I said that Marine 18 drivers are few and far between, he says, no that the number 4 is ALWAYS a Marine. While I reserve the right to be totally wrong, I've never heard that one jet is reserved for a Marine, and that seems pretty far fetched.

Any truth either way??

Thanks

Lobster

I know there is always a marine corps representative in the diamond formation. I think they can be solo's as well. I'm sure some of the other guys will have more info than I do though...

Crowbar

None
When I saw the title "Question about Marines/blues" I thought you meant the uniform, so I edited the title. If that makes you feel all sad inside, let me know and I'll change it back.

Never wanted to be a Blue Angel, don't know the answer.

Renegade One

None
Yep, there's always a Marine demo pilot, his "number" varies, and of course the whole flight crew of "Fat Albert" is Marine, so opportunities for both Hornet pilots and C-130 types with the Demonstration Squadron.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
F/A-18 drivers are not really "few and far between." They do exist in the wild, it's just that they don't end up in captivity (MEUs, primary, etc.) that often, so most don't see them.

I know that of the couple of Blues shows I've seen, there's been a Marine on the team (plus, obviously on Fat Albert), but I didn't note which position he was in. It would seem silly to restrict the Marine to a particular spot, but that's just speculation. Plus, he's got to wear a khaki cover...eeh!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
#4 is rarely a Marine. PWOC was the first as far as I know. Normally the Marine is #2 (right wing). There have been times that there were actually 2 Marines on the team, but again, that's not "the standard".

Hornet guys are not really "few and far between". There are plenty of them. It's relative, I guess. There are probably twice as many as there are Harrier guys, and probably 3 times as many as Prowler guys. Also, you don't have to be a Hornet guy to be a Blue Angel. Typically they are, but it's not set in stone.

Lawman was a Harrier guy, but they've been all Hornet guys since, except for the Fat Albert KC-130 guys.

FWIW, there's also been a Marine NFO (ECMO) as the events coordinator.

Tell your buddy to do his best and see what happens in about five to ten years. Until then, he should concentrate on alligators a little closer to the boat.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Personally I've never had the desire to become a Blue Angel, but I was always curious about how the whole process went. Do jet drivers apply for a spot while they're in fleet squadrons? And I'm assuming being a BA basically counts as a flying-billet shore tour, correct?

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Thanks for the info guys!! I ment few and far between as far as the Angels are concerned, doesn't really matter anywho, cause I was mostly wrong, hehe. But thanks for the gouge and your right about him concentrating on what lies in front of him and not ten years down the road.

Renegade One

None
Personally I've never had the desire to become a Blue Angel, but I was always curious about how the whole process went. Do jet drivers apply for a spot while they're in fleet squadrons? And I'm assuming being a BA basically counts as a flying-billet shore tour, correct?

Hit the "How To Apply" tab on the Blue Angels website for everything you ever wanted to know about the process.
http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/index.htm

Renegade One

None
There are currently two Marines on the demo team, #4(slot) and #6(opposing solo).

And the team PAO is a Marine Captain this year. So...lots of opportunities, even for non-aviators/NFOs, to "wear the blue suit" if the desire is there.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...and really, who wouldn't want to wear a skintight blue jumpsuit to work?

Incidentally, here's a fun fact: the tailor shop in P'cola that makes their blue bags is called Feminine Flair. No shit.

Reactions: Tom