• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about G-forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I agree with you Fly if it is a loop. I think we're just reading the question differently because I am not seeing a loop in there. I default to you though because you've actually taken the test and seen the actual question:).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
You had to pass physics to be a Naval Officer. Engage your brain! ;)
I never even took physics. Classes like that hurt my brain so I didn't take them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew this was gonna be fun! You fvcks are all over the map!

Brett

Ajax

2nd Inc. India Co. 2nd PLT. 2005
I've done some aerobatics and when doing loops I remembered feeling the most G's when I was pulling up, so I guess the plane that is going strait forward would be feeling the most G's.

T-man

I think the question posted is a bit ambiguous(sp?) and needs some clarification. The original question posted doesn't mention a loop. My initial reaction before reading the responses would have been to say the virtical climb position because I wasn't accounting for a loop. If you look at each plane position as straight flight, the virtical climb would be > 1G, the inverted straight and level flight would be 1G, and the inverted descent would be < 1G. So many ways to approach the question, I think some clarification is needed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Don't be jealous because I've been online chatting with babes all afternoon. Did the Prowler even go upside-down?
Still does, as far as I know, although I wouldn't recommend doing it while dirty as the scenario in question suggests. Sometimes, it's hard to keep it from going upside-down.

Brett

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Oh jeez folks... this is just the basic BFM-egg... you pull an airshow-style loop, you're varying the Gs at every point...

You pull the same number of Gs throughout, your loop will look like an egg. Once you come over the top, you'll have God's G (gravity) helping you out and pulling your radius tighter. Ergo, the most Gs "felt" by the NFO ( ;) ) will be at the bottom...

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
TurnandBurn55 said:
Once you come over the top, you'll have God's G (gravity) helping you out and pulling your radius tighter.

you mean in the initial pull up and approaching the top (in the constant G loop) gravity is making your loop radius smaller. After coming to TDC (top dead center) of the loop, gravity is now accelerating you downwards, making the loop open up.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
We have a winner!!
Aw, don't spoil it. This could go on for days! ;)

This whole thing has been a classic study in "nuking it." Nice job, poindexters!

Brett

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
this is pretty poorly worded and from how I read it, he's not doing a loop, just 3 different states of flight

which type of G (lateral, longitudinal, or vertical)?

assuming zero acceleration airspeed wise, he's feeling -1 G inverted (hanging in the straps) and every other case would be a 1 G condition

G-force is all about acceleration and nothing else and that's why this question has got me confused

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
well if he's flying with the longitudinal stick centered:

inverted exactly -1G
nose down, something less than +1G (maybe .9 or so)
vertical +1G plus the force accelerating him upwards (if he is indeed gaining altitude and not in a tail slide or maintaining constant altitude)

yeah, the question has been officially nuked.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But what if his head was tilted to the side? I mean are we talking about the G's felt by his head, his arms, his torso? What? Is he wearing a current helmet, a headset, or an old WWI leather helmet? Please, provide more clarification!

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
There is no loop in the question. I remember it, and the answer is the climbing plane. But we have to assume standard day, fixed pitch prop, and equilibrium flight in all cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.