• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about eye surgery

stratty

I know PRK is waiverable for aviators, but I was under the assumption Lasik was not. However, I talked to a recruiter who said that just recently Lasik was approved for waivers. I haven't seen this anywhere else, and im skeptical about. I haven't had either surgery yet but it would be a lot easier for me to get Lasik. Has anyone has heard about Lasik being waiverable recently?

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I remember sitting in the doctors office the day after. I'm freaking blind, drugged like a washed up hippie and generally unable to function as a human being. Guy next to me had LASIK and was reading a magazine and telling me how he drove himself to his appointment.

nugget81

pilot
I remember sitting in the doctors office the day after. I'm freaking blind, drugged like a washed up hippie and generally unable to function as a human being. Guy next to me had LASIK and was reading a magazine and telling me how he drove himself to his appointment.

From my research about LASIK and PRK prior to my PRK, I found that comfort was the only real benefit to LASIK. I was in pain for about 3 days after the surgery, but I'm glad I got the PRK instead.

Whalebite nailed it on the head...

stratty

Thanks for the responses. They confirm my doubts about the legitimacy of what the recruiter's been telling me. I'm sure he had good intentions, but it woulda been horrible to be screwed like that because of a little misinformation. So I think I'll be getting PRK done then. Ive heard of LasEk (different than LasIk), which is similar to PRK. Is that waiverable? If so, is it better than PRK?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
My eye doc insisted that PRK is a better procedure in the long run. Just get PRK and don't even worry about LASIK. It sucks for a few daysand itll take a few months to see well. It is oh so worth it though.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Yeah, just get it, what's nice about it is once you get the waiver, I don't think anyone has asked me about it while I've been in the Marine Corps. NOMI said, "oh, you're on a PRK waiver, guess they did a good job" and that's just about it.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
i was *told* that the problem with LASIK is the flap. they don't know with 100% certainty what types of g-forces (positive, negative, lateral) and speeds will cause that flap to detach. think about that-- you punch out over hostile territory AND end up blind? if an ejection wasn't violent enough, that's just not a good predicament in which to find yourself.

any one else know otherwise on the LASIK?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
i was *told* that the problem with LASIK is the flap. they don't know with 100% certainty what types of g-forces (positive, negative, lateral) and speeds will cause that flap to detach. think about that-- you punch out over hostile territory AND end up blind? if an ejection wasn't violent enough, that's just not a good predicament in which to find yourself.

any one else know otherwise on the LASIK?

I've read things along the same lines...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I had PRK... biggest thing I worry about is a little dry eye...

Yeah.. lasik can screw you. There was an article a while ago about a skier who fell and the lasik flap thingy opened up or something... dude is now blind out of one of his eyes.

app.man.

It can go either way. I had lasIk before I new I wanted to get into the military. Now it looks like I'm grounded for life. As for the flap being dislodged...there have been reports of people kicked in the head by a horse and flap still remaining intact. However, I wish I would have gotten PRK, knowing what I now know.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
app.man. said:
I had lasIk before I new I wanted to get into the military....it looks like I'm grounded for life. As for the flap being dislodged...there have been reports of people kicked in the head by a horse and flap still remaining intact....

way to clarify between the -ek and the -ik. most people don't know that there's a difference.

i've been kicked by a horse, and tapped in the head once-- but it didn't even leave a bruise.

i don't know what the comparable forces are, but an ejection is probably much more traumatic on the cornea than being kicked in the head by a horse. unless you were kicked directly in the eye.... by the horse, of course.