• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about BDCP aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Okay, I am almost done with my application for the BDCP program aviation option. I am just wondering what are the usual grades, scores on the ASTB etc... that one needs to be accepted. I currently have approximately a 3.4 GPA. I will also have a letter of rec. from a highly respected politician (if that helps at all?). Thanks. Also, if anybody can tell me how many aviation openings there are for those of us graduating in august 2003. I live in Pittsburgh. Thanks.

Jim

E6286,

I recently got selected for a pilot slot out of the Pittsburgh recruiting district, slated for P-cola on June 14, 2003, graduating May 2003. I applied for BDCP and as of right now I am not selected. My recruiter says I'm 6th nationally on the BDCP wait list and will be moved up once people currently on the scholarship go to OCS. Be careful because they intially told me that I was selected, but this was only known through word of mouth and it didn't actually show up in the computer. As far as my grades and what not, I have a 3.76 gpa from Lehigh in civil engineering, good ASTB scores, and a recommendation letter from a retired civil engineer corps commander. From what I hear there are quite a few pilot slots to be filled in the Pittsburgh district for fy 2003, but the BDCP is just really competitive now. Your rec should be able to give you the numbers. Hope this helps out, and good luck with the application process.

-jim

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Thank you for your reply jim. Okay, now considering BDCP is highly competitive, you said you were selected for a pilot slot. Does thta mean you are guranteed it and u just might not get BDCP? I would settle for acceptance into the program without BDCP if need be. Just wondering, Thanks, Ed

Jim

Ed,

Once I was selected for pilot i had 30 days to decide whether or not to accept it or the offer would expire. I was guaranteed aviation but not BDCP right away. My recruiter said "off the record" that it was likely that more than 5 BDCP people would go to OCS in the next couple of months so that in all probability I'd get on the scholarship sooner or later. I initially was going to wait to see if I got BDCP before I swore in, but my 30 days was going to expire, so I signed all the paperwork and swore in to hold my pilot slot and ocs date. Basically, I'm taking a chance on getting the BDCP but like you said, its really the pilot slot that matters although the money would be really nice. From what I understood the BDCP is another one of those "whole person" things and no one thing will get you on it. If you have any more questions about my experience with the process feel free to ask.

-jim

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Thanks again... I agree, if I am accepted into aviation I will most likely accept regardless of BDCP. Another question I have is regarding the ASTB. I am an english lit. major so the first time I took the exam I fell one point shy of aviation and I didn't do as well as needed on the biographical inventory so I am taking it again as soon as finals are over. I was wondering what your score was and what you rec. to study (although, being that you are an engineering major I am sure it came easily to you. Also, do you know if simple acceptance into aviation is likely? It seems that BDCP is competitive but it also seems that Pittsburgh has a ton of openings for aviation slots, especially over a year in advance of my accepted OCS date. Any info. you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Jim

Ed,

I don't remember all my scores on the ASTB for sure, but I can get back to you on that. By far the best thing to study is the Marine Corps ASTB prep guide. One of the guys on here send it to me by email, but regretfully I deleted it a while ago. You can't buy this thing in stores and as far as I know this is the only place to get it. What you could do is make a post seeing if anybody still has it and would send it to you. The Marine guide will do a great job helping you prepare for the math, mechanical, and aviation info stuff. The only other book I studied was the Military Flight Aptitude Tests by ARCO. I bought it from Barnes and Noble I think. This book helps best with the spatial apperception part (pictures of the little airplanes flying in different directions) plus it has a bunch of sample problems. Definitely get the Marine Corp guide though, with that you'll blow the test away.

-jim

E6286

OCC 191 Select
It seems that BDCP is competitive but it also seems that Pittsburgh has a ton of openings for aviation slots, especially over a year in advance of my accepted OCS date. Any info. you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Mahler

Hey Jim...

Smokin' GPA for an engineering degree... major props to ya. But remember, Aerospace Engineers build missiles, Civil Engineers Build Targets

James

Paul Burke

Here's a link to the Marine Corps ASTB study guide. www.flynavy.com/ASTB1.doc

It's about 1 MB in size and if a login screen pops up just hit cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.