• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Aviation quals

so I’m sitting here in pool waiting to class up for primary and Im just itching to fly. So much so that I am tempted in just finishing up my private license.

My question is..
When do I begin to get my quals? When will I be able to have my private license “equivalent” so I can rent an airplane? Am I going to get a CFI and instrument rating?

I suppose my ultimate question is an I going to have to go civilian fly to get to fly outside of the military anyway?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
so I’m sitting here in pool waiting to class up for primary and Im just itching to fly. So much so that I am tempted in just finishing up my private license.

My question is..
When do I begin to get my quals? When will I be able to have my private license “equivalent” so I can rent an airplane? Am I going to get a CFI and instrument rating?

I suppose my ultimate question is an I going to have to go civilian fly to get to fly outside of the military anyway?
It used to be that you get your FAA licenses when you wing. However you have to take the FAA written equivalence exam - otherwise you don’t get your certificates.

For those who graduate South Whiting, you will get SEL Airplane Commercial, Airplane Instrument, Rotary (Helicopter) Commercial, Rotary Instrument.

Similar ratings for each pipeline but everyone gets commercial (not private, not ATP) and everyone gets instrument.

Can I essentially take those rating anywhere after my time in the military? I hear everyone says basically everyone hires former military. I’m just wondering if it’s worth while for me to get my private and other ratings while I wait in the pool.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Can I essentially take those rating anywhere after my time in the military? I hear everyone says basically everyone hires former military. I’m just wondering if it’s worth while for me to get my private and other ratings while I wait in the pool.
Normally, student control will have a time and a classroom set so each winging class can take care of getting your certificates just before or after winging - don’t miss it. If you do not get it done then and wait too long, it can be a headache.

I left Whiting awhile back - but doubt if much has changed concerning the FAA. Perhaps a SNA getting ready to wing can give fresh info.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Simple answer, no don't pay out of pocket for civilian ratings now if the intent is they are for future employment after the Navy. It is much easier and cheaper to take multiple choice FAA tests and pay a small fee after winging or after an instructor tour. Sheppard Air used to be the gold standard of gouge for that, here's their website.

If your interest is in enhancing your performance in primary/adv, I'm not wading into that. Plenty of threads discussing if you search around. If you just want to do it for fun and have cash to blow that's for you to decide.