• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quest Regarding Flight School

Imports4Me

I have just taken my ASTB and received a qualifying score for the naval flight program. I understand that this is my first step to becoming a naval pilot, but does anyone know what the matriculation process is after getting into OCC (or perhaps before)? I mean, I feel somewhat lost--like I dont know what is going to happen during and after OCC. I mean, I know there is TBS but even that I have tons of questions about and I cant seem to find any straight answers.

I guess it would help to know what my goal is, and that is to be an F-18 or Harrier pilot. But between where I am now and where I want to be, I am unsure of all the necessary steps I need to take. Is selection for these aircraft based solely on performance in OCC/TBS or is there somewhere down the line that you can be guaranteed a slot at flight school and a seat in one of these? I have read literature on this saying that you are placed in a fixed or rotatory based on your qualifications, but what the hell does that mean? I guess all I want to know is if I try my hardest and do my best will that help me obtain my goal or is there something else I can do?

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
...if I try my hardest and do my best will that help me obtain my goal....

That's it, nothing else will do. OCS and TBS do not play any role in platform selection. You NSS (basically GPA for flight school) doesn't start getting calculated until API (Aviation Pre-Flight Indoctrination). You need to do your own research to find out all the steps, there's quite a few, but start with a search for: "TBS", "IFS", "API", "Primary", "Advanced", "Platform Selection" or any variation thereof....

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
....I know there is TBS but even that I have tons of questions about and I cant seem to find any straight answers.

That's mostly because there aren't any unless you have a specific question, in which case, search, and if that fails, ask the forum, there will be someone hear who knows the answer or where to find it, you just need to have a thick skin to get it :icon_tong

phrogpilot73

That's it, nothing else will do. OCS and TBS do not play any role in platform selection. You NSS (basically GPA for flight school) doesn't start getting calculated until API (Aviation Pre-Flight Indoctrination). You need to do your own research to find out all the steps, there's quite a few, but start with a search for: "TBS", "IFS", "API", "Primary", "Advanced", "Platform Selection" or any variation thereof....
TBS, IFS, and API won't help with the search, as any search term must be 4 letters or more. Quick down and dirty:

TBS = your standing counts towards your lineal number, but with regards to flight school/platform selection it means nothing.

API = your grades start for platform selection.

At the end of Primary flight training, you submit your preferences. Based on your preferences, needs of the Marine Corps, and your grades from flight school (from API through Primary), you will be assigned to either jets, props, or helos. Specific platform selection will happen at the end of advanced. Again, it's based on grades, needs of the service, and your preferences. Needs of the service trump all, followed by grades, followed by your preferences.

A good place to start would be this thread: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11759

Heloanjin

pilot
API = your grades start for platform selection.

At the end of Primary flight training, you submit your preferences. Based on your preferences, needs of the Marine Corps, and your grades from flight school (from API through Primary), you will be assigned to either jets, props, or helos.

For what it's worth, the only grades that are used for pipeline selection are Primary flight grades.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But they will work with the integrated Google search, as gatordev so eloquently pointed out a couple days ago.

Just FYI for all, there are some 3 letter words that are built into the search engine that will work. I believe TBS and API are in there, along w/ others. That said, as HH mentions, the Google version tends to be more helpful for general searches.