• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

brownshoe

Contributor
Excellent place for crab cakes and potato skins, as a bonus the decor other than the bar hasn't changed much in 40 years either.

That's for sure! My friends and I used to go there all the time when I lived in Upper Marlboro, great food and a simple down to earth atmosphere. (Man I'll bet 301 traffic sucks now!)

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's for sure! My friends and I used to go there all the time when I lived in Upper Marlboro, great food and a simple down to earth atmosphere. (Man I'll bet 301 traffic sucks now!)
Yep, 301 traffic is the pits. But it's no worse than the beltway.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WAY easier than beer making.
Not if you're doing it right. :) Kit wines are trash, but good for learning the process. When I lived in WA, I would drive out to the Yakima Valley and load up the back of my Jeep w/ ~500 pounds of Syrah grapes. I've got a setup to do small batch old school. Fermenter, grape press, 13 gal barrel, and all the gear to do my own chemistry. My deployment timing hasn't permitted me to do a batch in several years, but it sure is satisfying to put that much effort into a project and come out with something that is high quality and enjoyable to drink. Winemaking will play prominently in my post-Navy professional lifestyle.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m sure you’ve probably crossed paths with him at some point but one of our CIPs in Lemoore runs his own winery out of Paso if you’re looking for fellow oenophiles...

I know the folks at Volatus pretty well. Beyond their perennial appearance at Hook, they hosted a Change of Command party for a fellow CVW CO that I attended a few years back, and Bull and I got pretty deep into the winemaking themes. Really great folks!

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Happy it went to a good cause! You can also cannibalize the wrist cuffs and waist when the time comes.
That’s a good idea regarding the wrist cuffs and waist...also, the Scovill zipper may come in handy as well.

taxi1

pilot
Not if you're doing it right. :) Kit wines are trash, but good for learning the process.
Well, harumph. My recent Sauvignon Blanc was delightfully refreshing with an ice cube floating in it out on the driveway.

Here's what I know for sure, watching the fermenter bubble is like watching your Epson print out dollar bills. Something from almost nothing. ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If wine making was not easier than beer making then convicts and sailors would not be making it surreptitiously with easily available supplies. I never heard of a AFFF barrel discovered full of ale. I never found a trash bag full of beer in the jail. :)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I’m sure you’ve probably crossed paths with him at some point but one of our CIPs in Lemoore runs his own winery out of Paso if you’re looking for fellow oenophiles...

Can confirm. Bull is a great guy. We showed up to Midnight on a whim once, and he (not knowing me from Adam, just another Navy pilot) took me on the greatest wine tasting I've been a part of. Cask tasting, special brews, and threw in a couple of bottles of Volatus with our purchase. All while the kids ran around out back and played.

If my wife hadn't been able to drive, we would have had to crash there for the night. Hands down, that was one of the best days I've had while stationed in Lemoore.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I found this gem (early 1998) when I was going through a bunch of old stuff. It took a bit of work stitching the scanned images together since the pamphlet is a weird super duper ledger size, but here it is.

Motivating enough to make any red blooded guy or gal want to sign up! See your recruiter today.

View attachment recruiting front.jpg

View attachment recruiting back.jpg