• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mass casualties, mass casualties, mass casualties . . . mass casualties in the grow tent . . .

I've been hit with damping off and fungus gnats. Feck. Think I can save one. Time to start over with the paper seed starters . . . ?

exNavyOffRec

I learned how to make a proper Old Fashioned - a cocktail I've always enjoyed, but never made at home. I've also learned that I need a fancier selection of bitters. Any favorites out there beyond the standard issue Angostura?

You have evolved into making more complex drinks, I however have devolved and now coke with my rum is getting fancy LOL

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I learned how to make a proper Old Fashioned - a cocktail I've always enjoyed, but never made at home. I've also learned that I need a fancier selection of bitters. Any favorites out there beyond the standard issue Angostura?
Fee Brothers is also good. They have a crapton of flavors, but I was partial to the whiskey barrel-aged one when I went on a Manhattan kick for awhile after RIMPAC 18.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Wish I could speak more intelligently on the topic, but at least as of a year + ago Tuthilltown Distillery had some very interesting ones if you can find them (or if they can ship them... I can't see the website entirely on the boat...)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
My latest waste of time has been using Amazon Prime to turn my new house into an Alexa controlled psychedelic dance party of color changing LED light bulbs. I also bought a Roomba now and I’m figuring out a way to teach it to bring me drinks as I sit on the couch.

Who has tips on what other fun Alexa devices can be used around the house?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I use Angostura or Angostura Orange. That brand is fine for me, and Mrs HW isn’t into any cocktails with bitters. I also use frozen cherries and a sugared dried orange slice in mine. Requires less ice, no simple syrup, and can be stored indefinitely unlike fresh oranges.

sickboy

pilot
I use Angostura or Angostura Orange. That brand is fine for me, and Mrs HW isn’t into any cocktails with bitters. I also use frozen cherries and a sugared dried orange slice in mine. Requires less ice, no simple syrup, and can be stored indefinitely unlike fresh oranges.

I enjoy a 50:50 mix of Angostura and Peychards. Though if you’re going to go with a cherry, spring for the Luxardo Marachino cherries. Revolutionized my Manhattan game

I like to use a little bit of the syrup they come with as the sugar component of the cocktail.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My latest waste of time has been using Amazon Prime to turn my new house into an Alexa controlled psychedelic dance party of color changing LED light bulbs. I also bought a Roomba now and I’m figuring out a way to teach it to bring me drinks as I sit on the couch.

Who has tips on what other fun Alexa devices can be used around the house?
I’ve put most of my lights on some form of WiFi/ Alexa control, mostly through WiFi light switches and some WiFi bulbs. Nothing fancy, but it’s nice to control via voice and have scenes set for watching TV or movies, etc. I have my outside lights come on and off according to sunset, and some lights come on when I get home from work. I have yet to find a good way to control Direct TV with it yet, but would be interested if someone does that. I recently discovered that Alexa has quite an inventory of fart noises that she will happily display for you. Ask her to fart for you. You can thank me later. ?