• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

exNavyOffRec

I could have paid like $400 more for the Ironwood model that goes up to 500 degrees and lets you drop the grate an inch to allegedly help sear. But it’s really not its strong suit.

Best answer I’ve found is to reverse sear. Cook the meat up to about 5-10 degrees below the internal temperature you want on the Traeger, put a cast iron skillet on the stove with a little oil and get it cranking almost smoking hot, then drop the meat in there for 60 to 90 seconds a side. Stove vent fan on “high” highly recommended. Works really well; I just need to calibrate what temps work best for my steaks and burgers and how long to sear them to be perfect. As a bonus, it really helps keep a good seasoning layer on the skillet!

That said, it holds temps on its own, without me having to futz with burner dials or smoker vents. It has a temp probe to know exactly when and how well stuff is done. It lights off at the push of a button, and it’s up and ready without waiting on charcoal. And it’s Wi-Fi enabled; once I light it off, I can control it with my phone.

I smoked a tri-tip roast 2 weeks ago and we did this for the first time, but what we did was put in about 3 "pads" of butter in a hot cast iron skillet, then once the butter melted dropped the tri-tip in for the 60-90 secs a side. I was very pleased on the results.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I smoked a tri-tip roast 2 weeks ago and we did this for the first time, but what we did was put in about 3 "pads" of butter in a hot cast iron skillet, then once the butter melted dropped the tri-tip in for the 60-90 secs a side. I was very pleased on the results.
I've done a steak and a burger so far and it was glorious. The only thing I'm still trying to do is tweak "smoke until temperature X" and "sear for Y seconds a side" to get it perfect for me. Bit overcooked the first tries, but still good.

This also meshed with the realization that I have a KitchenAid mixer and a meatgrinder attachment. Bought the latter to make giblet gravy for Thanksgiving last year, then stashed it and forgot about it. I was remembering a 50/50 bacon and beef burger I'd had in downtown Norfolk when I was last there screwing around collecting per diem for three weeks . . . I mean demobilizing at ECRC. So I recreated it with hickory smoke. Well-recommended, if not by cardiologists.

Part of me is wondering what other kinds of burger mixes I can create. Brisket, wild game, etc.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Haven’t gotten too into the wild game stuff, but after buying whole sirloin and chuck (and brisket if you really want to go crazy) and grinding it yourself into an equal ratio for burgers, you’ll never go back to the supermarket stuff.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I use my crappy $200 grill from Home Depot and my $120,000 degree in Animal Science from Iowa State to make my steaks.
Spend your money on good meat (grain fed beef, not grass fed...flavor is in the marbling), solid prep work (to your individual flavor) and learn the sweet spot on your grill.

I’m a 1” Grain-fed ribeye, cut slices in the edge fat so it doesn’t curl, light coat of Montreal Steak seasoning, eight minutes total, flip every two minutes, should land just past rare in a cool medium rare, and let it sit for five minutes to allow the muscle fibers relax.

Pick a good wine to accompany, and a cruciferous vegetable to go with. I prefer an Italian Chianti and grilled asparagus.

Heat is heat, you can’t make shit beef better by seasoning your way out.

Pickle
I was with you until the Chianti, then I couldn't think of anything but this:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Haven’t gotten too into the wild game stuff, but after buying whole sirloin and chuck (and brisket if you really want to go crazy) and grinding it yourself into an equal ratio for burgers, you’ll never go back to the supermarket stuff.
Wahlburgers sell preformed burger patties in our local grocery stores (fresh meat aisle not frozen) and while their blend is “proprietary” I have a feeling it’s close to what you want.

donniepauln-35c4732b.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
When I lived in Japan the ground beef that they sold in the NEX was awful due to the long transit but the cut meat seemed to survive better. So I started grinding my own burger meat with awesome results. Largely stopped due to better ground beef over here and time requirements but I highly recommend it for those who want to go nuts with burgers.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

Being a former butcher (like legit killing cows, skinning, splitting, hanging, etc.) and working at the #1 exotic meat butcher in our area I've had some tasty meats. Bison, elk, boar, rattlesnake, etc. I've also worked in retail grocery stores. I never buy any ground beef from a grocery store and I chastise my wife if she comes home with any. Also, pro-tip, never, EVER, buy any ground beef that comes in a tube. If you want fresh ground beef you can do 1 of 2 things, grab a roast (bottom round, rump, chuck) from the meat rack and ask the guy behind the counter to grind it for you (2 grinds using the fine plate) or buy the roast and grind it yourself at home. You'll pay more doing it this way, but at leas you know exactly what's in your burger. I also never buy any prepackaged cuts (steaks or roasts). If it wasn't cut onsite I wouldn't eat it. These are the reasons I usually buy meat, whole primal sections, from places like BJ's.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This also meshed with the realization that I have a KitchenAid mixer and a meatgrinder attachment. Bought the latter to make giblet gravy for Thanksgiving last year, then stashed it and forgot about it.
Now realize you can buy the sausage making kit for your KitchenAid grinder. Inexpensive. Basically a tube that funnels the goodies into the casing of your choice. Now there is a fun way to experiment with meats. Imagine your home brewed beer or signature cocktail of your creation paired with a sausage of your own unique recipe.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Being a former butcher (like legit killing cows, skinning, splitting, hanging, etc.) and working at the #1 exotic meat butcher in our area I've had some tasty meats. Bison, elk, boar, rattlesnake, etc. I've also worked in retail grocery stores. I never buy any ground beef from a grocery store and I chastise my wife if she comes home with any. Also, pro-tip, never, EVER, buy any ground beef that comes in a tube. If you want fresh ground beef you can do 1 of 2 things, grab a roast (bottom round, rump, chuck) from the meat rack and ask the guy behind the counter to grind it for you (2 grinds using the fine plate) or buy the roast and grind it yourself at home. You'll pay more doing it this way, but at leas you know exactly what's in your burger. I also never buy any prepackaged cuts (steaks or roasts). If it wasn't cut onsite I wouldn't eat it. These are the reasons I usually buy meat, whole primal sections, from places like BJ's.
Excellent. I always enjoyed watching a good butcher work. My father (not a pro) taught me all the basics before I was a teen. Good on ya. That is a skill you will always have.

My brother in law was a USAir pilot who had a small farm in Ohio. As a college student worked grading and buying cows and hogs for a commercial processor. When he had a cow ready to butcher he would call the family. We put in our order. The entire primal or side, your choice, was custom processed. He selected the animal and his buddy down the road who had a small USDA approved operation butchered the animal, wrapped and froze it. Then my brother in law would fly a trip out to our place, or his wife would nonrev in for a weekend, with the meat checked as their baggage or as nonrev cargo on their flight. We used to get organic small farm beef raised by family on a farm I frequented properly finished before butchering for less than supermarket prices. Good stuff!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

If I get furloughed, I'm taking a bunch of butchering classes up in Denver at culinary school. Fuck it!

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Excellent. I always enjoyed watching a good butcher work. My father (not a pro) taught me all the basics before I was a teen. Good on ya. That is a skill you will always have.

My brother in law was a USAir pilot who had a small farm in Ohio. As a college student worked grading and buying cows and hogs for a commercial processor. When he had a cow ready to butcher he would call the family. We put in our order. The entire primal or side, your choice, was custom processed. He selected the animal and his buddy down the road who had a small USDA approved operation butchered the animal, wrapped and froze it. Then my brother in law would fly a trip out to our place, or his wife would nonrev in for a weekend, with the meat checked as their baggage or as nonrev cargo on their flight. We used to get organic small farm beef raised by family on a farm I frequented properly finished before butchering for less than supermarket prices. Good stuff!

For those interested, check out The Bearded Butchers on the youtube. Each region calls things differently, but generally this is exactly what I did.