• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quality spread at TBS

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
Not sure how Meridian and K-Rock spread out the total Marine slots, but the 14 Marines or so that we had in Texas all got what they wanted based on merit. There was a Marine that wanted Prowlers and one who wanted Harriers, so that may have helped. There was also one who wanted coast over platform and she recieved Harriers without making the overall Harrier grade cut to get her on the west coast. I think she kicked ass in Phase 2 (the tactical stuff) and the board took that into consideration.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
There was also one who wanted coast over platform and she recieved Harriers without making the overall Harrier grade cut to get her on the west coast. I think she kicked ass in Phase 2 (the tactical stuff) and the board took that into consideration.

dude, I don't think she kicked ass in anything if she didn't make the harrier cut, its not really all that high.

phrogpilot73

"Quality spread" is used in advanced helos as well as MOS selection at TBS. I'm having a hard time believing you didn't hear the term "Quality spread" at TBS.
Quality spread in Advanced Helos? That's new... When I got winged, we walked in, one by one in class standing order. As we picked our platform and coast, they erased it off the dry erase board and called in the next guy. Hardly a quality spread...

Out of curiositys sake do people in the jet pipeline generally want harriers or hornets?

P.S. I'm anthro-ed out of harriers and the T-2, I have no idea why.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quality spread in Advanced Helos? That's new... When I got winged, we walked in, one by one in class standing order. As we picked our platform and coast, they erased it off the dry erase board and called in the next guy. Hardly a quality spread...

Yeah its a whole new communist like world, no longer the meritocracy we grew up in. The IPs at our RAG are noticing, we are getting guys that back in the day would have Phrogs East written all over them and their pink sheets (no smiles dont believe in them but the sentiment is there-just kidding-I love you Phrog guys)

FLY_USMC

pilot
I think Harriers are bad arse, plus the ability to be around Marines is very appealing, but I'm sure it's all off of personal preference, half my Primary class wanted helos.

Interesting, yeah I honestly think every community has its pluses and minuses .. My OSO is a Herc Driver and Props was his first choice due to lifestyle. I'd be happy with anything. Kinda bummed to be anthroed out of the Harrier but what are you going to do.

I don't know how I feel about the quality spread system but I guess in theory, you don't want all your best officers in one community.

s/f

airwinger

pilot
In theory it sounds nice, till (like one of my TBS classmates) you and a 2 stars' son are selecting at the same time, you do better than him and he gets hornets and you get the "quality spread" prowler.

Quality spread added to harrier cut has meant that studs getting jets declaring that they will do the minimum needed to graduate, thus guaranteeing them hornets. Had two more of my TBS classmates that went to kingsville do just that.

When I winged I was a 3 of 10, distinguished grad, high PFT, EWS complete, masters degree blah blah. The guy across from me was last in the class, had 4 downs and was bragging his composite score was well below the harrier cut. I envied him. He had NOTHING to worry about he was not going to get "spread" anywhere except his first choice.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot

hell, I even heard that was how the jet community back in the day (don't know exactly when that was though) picked your platform

you walk depending on your class rank, they erase it off the board, last guy doesn't get to pick

unfortunately, I can see why that is a bad way to do it, however, people who did well don't feel like they got screwed when a person who barely got their wings gets their first choice over you