• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Q'ns about retired airframe

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Funny. In Russia a callsign depends on type and squadron and is generally generated via hell of a lot of tables for six months, then it should be changed. One Bear D once obtain callsign Screw 51. PPC, a squadron XO, refused to spell Screw, using just "fifty-first". Screw in Russian is jargonism for cock?

Renegade One

None
One Bear D once obtain callsign Screw 51...
Max, are you talking about PERSONAL call signs here, or UNIT call signs? The long history of UNIT callsigns in the Navy (both "officially assigned" and "actually used" (or even traded among squadrons...) is a long and colorful one. More recent developments have resulted in yet a third set of call signs unique to the theater/situation/ATO fairy dust. Oh...and one more, I guess...a squadron unique FAA callsign...pretty much selected by the unit within some guidelines. Here's a sample based on a now-decommissioned squadron, which I assume makes it safe for disclosure:
VF-24, originally nicknamed "Red Checkertails", then becoming "Renegades" in the Tomcat era:
"Official" tactical call sign : PAGE BOY
Actually used: RENEGADE {after the nickname morphed...)
FAA: RAGE

I think most Navy squadrons would happily embrace "SCREW" as a unit call sign...for myriad reasons.

Max the Mad Russian

I worked with a NASA U2 above the Artic Circle once out of Kef. His callsign - Frigid 69.
Really???:D:p:rolleyes:
No, no personal callsigns in Russia. There are assigned callsigns of officials. Say, Navy ship CO - Metal, Coast Guard ship CO - Witch, etc. But nothing personal, in naval aviation for sure. In theory there should be squadron CO, but since Russian navair have never worked in squadron size in the air, I've never heard of. Just temporary callsign for each aircraft in the air and one common for anyone: afair, Ivory Eagle plus side number.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FAA: RAGE

A small point of order..."RAGE" may or may not have been a "FAA" callsign, but typically squadrons use a JANAP callsign that's approved by DoD. DoD then forwards the callsign to the FAA so they can determine who's who when needed. Interestingly, it is possible to also come up with a local callsign, vetted through the local Navy FAA rep and the local Navy ATC guy at your base, but that callsign isn't officially put into the JANAP process.

Unfortunately, DoD never updates the JANAP instruction except once in a blue moon, so many of the callsigns in the pub are dated, and trying to figure out if that new callsign you want is available is an exercise in frustration when dealing with the one guy up in DC that controls them.

Max the Mad Russian

Max, are you talking about PERSONAL call signs here, or UNIT call signs?

I think most Navy squadrons would happily embrace "SCREW" as a unit call sign...for myriad reasons.
Well, no unit callsigns in Russia. Say, those Bear Ds were usually aloft just paired, and while leader may have that Screw 51, wingman would be Moon 36 or alike. The finishing source for generating callsign was so-called Alfa-table, which had different word and two (later three) digits in each cell.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Most of the local Oceana ATC call signs are some play on the squadron name or theme:

CANYN (Canyon)
TAPRM (Taproom)
RAGIN
PARTY
FELIX
LIONN
WLDCT (Wildcat)
JOKER
ROMAN
AMBSH (Ambush)

So on and so forth...not sure if those are JANAP approved or just locally accepted.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Most of the local Oceana ATC call signs are some play on the squadron name or theme:

CANYN (Canyon)
TAPRM (Taproom)
RAGIN
PARTY
FELIX
LIONN
WLDCT (Wildcat)
JOKER
ROMAN
AMBSH (Ambush)

So on and so forth...not sure if those are JANAP approved or just locally accepted.

Those look like strip callsigns, which are generally 5 characters (for the Navy). @wlawr005 , out of curiosity, if you spelled those callsigns as you normally would, are those the typical callsigns you'd use if you left the area? If so, I'm guessing those are just the ATC-friendly version of the JANAP, agreed upon by a local MOU.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
When I file for something leaving the local area or from a civilian airfield I still just use the same five letter call sign, no one has ever said anything about it.

I remember in flight school we'd use the VVE XXX method, but we didn't do it in Meridian or the fleet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I file for something leaving the local area or from a civilian airfield I still just use the same five letter call sign, no one has ever said anything about it.

I remember in flight school we'd use the VVE XXX method, but we didn't do it in Meridian or the fleet.

Right, and that makes sense. I was just curious if you spelled/pronounced those short-hand codes (which, like I said, are ATC strip codes....that's why you can file with them), is that the same as the normal non-operational callsign you always use? I understand that can be different than the actual squadron name.

For example, in the way back machine, HSL-41 was (and is) called "The Seahawks." But their JANAP was "ISLAND RULER" (yes, it's silly). Or HS-10 was called the Warhawks, but their JANAP was "CALUMET."

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm not exactly following but I guess the answer is "it depends"? Maybe it's community preference?

When I was at HSC-28 we'd take off VFR as BAY RAIDER XX but in the off chance we filed IFR it would be BRAVO ROMEO XX...BR was our tail code...coincidence only. HSC-22 is CRUSADER with an AM tail code.

In the fighter community we share tail codes and take off VFR with our tail code + side number. For IFR flying (99% solution) we file with the aforementioned call signs. For instance, CANYN is the VFA-105 "Gunslingers" and is simply pronounced "Canyon" on the radio. In addition, event 1 dash 1 would be CANYN 11...so on and so forth.

I'm not super smart as far as the FAA goes, it's just what we do.

Last edited: