• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pushups at OCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

fghtpilot

Usually the most pushups you will have to do for PT is 30-40. There really isnt't alot of PT events were pushups are used. You may have to do some when the sergeant instructors play games though. If you can do a few sets of 50 you will do just fine.

nowings1

CRT is the only graded evolution I can remember that included push-ups. You had to knock out 50, I think. Fail one part of the CRT and you fail the whole thing, so push-ups are important there. Besides that, you'll push 'em out every time you drop your weapon. Don't think it'll happen? It'll happen. If your push-ups are sloppy, staff might jack w/ you, make you do a few more. If you push out a solid 20, you'll be good to go.

nowings1

fghtpilot's right too. Fartlek has pushups, and UBDs have push-ups. They're strictly training though, not graded.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
If you're not sounding off enough during stretching, the PTI will motivate you to sound off. We probably ended up pumping out 100 pushups one morning, just during the stretching session. Oh yeah, this was the same day as the O-Course test. Make sure your pushups are good to go. Besides, pushups are also a great help for pullups.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Another big one is push-pulls. You start with 12 or 15 pull-ups, then drop and do 35 push-ups. Then 10 pull-ups to 30 push-ups...8 pull-ups to 25 push-ups. It burns like hell. Also make sure your push-ups are sat, they should be able to make a fist on the deck and your chest should touch it everytime you drop. Also make sure your back and legs make a straight plane...i.e. don't have your butt in the sky.

Clux4

Banned
I still think more emphasis should be placed on building a stronger upper body and not the run, run, run. Every Lt. should be able to do at least 18 pullups or what do you think?
It is just sad to see a USMC Lt. leave a 10 week training regiment that is supposed to build strength without enough physical strength to complete 20 dead hang pullups.

Do you think the run is overated or do you think the P.T sessions are taking care of everything?

Sorry I don't mean to de-rail this thread. I just felt like addressing the issue while we are on something relatively close.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Actually, according to my PTI last summer, the object of OCS is not to build strength. That is why they usually aren't surprised to see drops in PFT scores. He told us that physically, OCS is designed to break your body down and yet still handle the tough physical nature of OCS. My PFT score actually got better (just because of the run) but there are others (usually the bigger guys) that saw drops in their scores.

nowings1

Re pullups-

My run got better but my pullups went down, markedly. Part of it was that the pullups I was doing in training, and my OSO was letting me get away w/, weren't sat at OCS. Nothing worse than hearing "one, two, two, two, three, four, four, four..." I thought maybe I was getting jacked w/ a bit, but the same thing was happening to others in the platoon. I think my real problem was that I just can't knock out a lot of pullups. 10s not a problem, but I've never, ever gotten 20 (16 is my max). I've read that tall and skinny body types (like mine) have a tougher time w/ pullups than other body types, but I don't know if I believe it (my cousin's 6'4 200lb and can knock out 30+). I do know that I struggle w/ them, and always have. I do UBDs in the gym- bench, curl, military press, push-ups- and can handle some weight, but pullups are still tough. I can run, so that saves me PFT-wise, but the pullups thing sucks. OCS PT, and the PFT in general, is designed to rate overall physical fitness, and I think it more or less does a good job w/ that. Some people can run, some people can do pullups, and everybody ought to be able to do crunches, so it evens out. The emphasis on running at OCS isn't for PT alone. Its for testing endurance. All the pullups in the world won't knock you out like 5-6 miles a day, everyday, will. Just my thoughts.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
nowings1 said:
Re pullups-

...I've read that tall and skinny body types (like mine) have a tougher time w/ pullups than other body types, but I don't know if I believe it (my cousin's 6'4 200lb and can knock out 30+)...

I promise you...6'4'', 230 lb. body types like mine cannot and will not ever do more than 10! :eek:

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Not necessarily true, I went to TBS with a guy who was 6'5 230 and did 20 pullups effortlessly.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Good job for him...at least someone can. Maybe I should have just spoken for myself then! A lot of times, its not the lack of muscular endurance or strength, but the fact that we're picking up twice the weight as some others. It just sucks because no matter how fit you really are, the numbers make things look differently. I've always had this burden though...big-boy syndrome I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.