• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pushups at OCS

Tom

pilot
Contributor
There is a trade off with that, though. If you go in really close, your hips can get fatigued quickly.

I actually do better with my feet farther away.
I did far away for a bit and then moved as close as possible more recentally. Closer is much easier after you do it for a bit. Screw you hips, they are not the ones doing the lifting. Make it easier on your abs because they are the ones that are going to die last. I have heard this from a couple recent OCS graduates.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...because of my still-healing wrist.

Down the highway not across the street. :icon_tong

Best way to practice if you have a partner is to have them put a fist down and touch it with your chest. If you dont have a partner, use a pair of socks rolled up. Its kind of like a fist.

Best way to practice if you have a partner is to have them put a fist down and touch it with your chest. If you dont have a partner, use a pair of socks rolled up. Its kind of like a fist.

I'm sure this is a good way to practice, but it's going much farther than having your arms parallel to the deck.

Slammer2

Contributor
Thats the way we did them at OCS. I have long ass arms and a fairly small chest and it still puts me 90 degrees.

Slammer2

Contributor
no worries.

Just a quick point - By saying that it was the way I did them at OCS, I wasnt implying thats how they do the Navy OCS PRT. I have no clue about that. I was just saying that at Marine OCS thats how they had us do them for stuff like the combat readiness test. Just trying to pass on the tip.

Now if you're looking for that 90 degrees and the fist or socks or whatever isnt doing it for you, then try to find something that will put you to the right height. Maybe a stack of books. The goal is not to rest your chest on them but to get your body used to the range of motion. Its a lot easier to smack into something than to check yourself in a mirror or turning your head.

Meatloaf

pilot
Even if a sock isn't high enough, the extra motion from going down too far might provide extra training for your arms. The only drawback would be getting used to going down that far and not completing as many pushups as you would by going down the correct amount.

gramps09

It could be worse. I was doing a PRT here when it was 28 out, and after I cranked 80 or so pushups some female 1/c told me 10 didn't count because I didn't go low enough. I started pushing deck and looked over and saw some girl doing half assed pushups and the same 1/c saying "Good form you go girl". But for some reason the PRT here at the academy blows, oh yeah I forgot they WILL kick you out your 1/C year if you fail the run. Ain't that a bitch.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
...oh yeah I forgot they WILL kick you out your 1/C year if you fail the run. Ain't that a bitch.

No, actually, I was really happy to see some people getting kicked out firstie year b/c they failed the run. I mean, c'mon, three years of having to do a prt the exact same each time and they can't prepare for it? Personally I thought it was pathetic. As for the temp, my 2nd class year it was sub 20, so I know your pain.

Just for reference, while I was there I weighed 240 and ran the mile and a half sub 9:45....

alrodeck

Uhh, what is the next step in the EP?
So, having been the bottom PRT scorer in my class (18-06) on the in-prt and having escaped ocs witha decent score (290) Here are a few tips...1: Get those push-ups working, that is definately the #1 way to single yourself out, I know, I was that guy...2, work on your run, I think that is the number one way guys actually fail, 3, no matter what, don't be that guy grunting, gasping, and all of those related dramatics while you are doing the PRT (or any other related fun) you will just invite more attention. Just quietly go about your business and push.