• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pushup routines??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
Does anybody know of any good routines for building pushup numbers? I can run like a jackrabbit and do loads of situps, but apparently I have the upper body strength of a six year old girl. My pushups suck. I'd appreciate any ideas to help me quick build some pushups. I'm motivated as hell, so I'm already doing lots a day, just looking for some way to speed the process up.

Shaggy

jaerose

Not trying to sound snotty, but dips aren't an opponent exercise to pushups...they work the same muscle groups. What they do is to help strengthen your triceps for the 'lockout' portion of the pushup movement...which is where most people fail, so they're great to add into your workout and improve your pushups. Pullups are an antagonistic exercise and will help to strengthen your lats, which actually do help in the pushup movement, too. In addition to the pushup pyramid, you could end your workout with an all-out set and when you reach failure immediately drop to your knees and push out as many as you can (it's actually still pretty tough). Also, experiment with your hand positioning to find the one that gives you the best mechanical advantage.

You've gotten some good advice, so put it to work and good luck =)

JR
www.jdroseberry.info

submariner8

Somwone else on this site earlier mentioned a book called Navy SEAL Fitness Training (by Stew Smith). I was having the exact problem you are, I sucked at pushups but had no problem with the run or situps. Since starting the beginner portion of the program outlined in the book just a few weeks ago, I can already feel a big difference. In a couple weeks I will do the SEAL pft and see how far I've come. If you follow the book, you will do 3 types of pushups (regular, wide, and diamond). They also vary the way you do them. One week you do the pyramid sets, the next you do supersets of continuous pushups and ab exercises. You also do dips and pull-ups, so it's a pretty good all around program. He also incorporates running and swimming, but I really don't follow that so much.

After the 4 week beginner program, you start the 12 week SEAL program. I figure if I'm in even half the shape of someone going to SEAL training by the time I get to OCS, I'll be good to go.

One other thing I will mention is that I tried to do pushups 4 or 5 days a week, hoping that would help increase the amount I could do. When I saw that I would only be doing them two times per week following the program, I thought there was no way it was going to work, but I really feel like I'm responding well to it. The point is that the same thing doesn't work for everyone. While some people may respond better to constant stimulation, others like myself are probably better suited to just a couple high intensity training sessions per week for building endurance.

kevin

and to add to jaerose, besides tris, dips work the medial chest and lats (the adducting arm movement) also. i mentioned before that adding resistance bands (you can find them at any sports store or med rehab store) to bench work and then doing pushups immediately following will greatly help you. but the bottom line is, it's mostly a mental thing. no matter what you do (pyramids, drops sets, max pu, etc) you have a prenotion of what you are capable of. if you can only do 80 pu, say, then every time you max your pu your mind and hence body remember that you can only do 80. so you have to trick it (that's what pyramids, etc are for). there is no magical method then, just different ways to vary your mental outlook on your pushups. sorry if this sounded a little "buddhist, yoga- like" or something.

jaerose

Yep, mental blocks are a big hurdle, but seriously visualize yourself doing whatever number you want to hit and you'll be more likely to do it!

Kevin, how do you mean to use the bands? I'm just curious. Is this after chest, or during a certain exercise?

JR
www.jdroseberry.info

kevin

yes yoda...use the force! bands are for speed benching. you pull the bb down off the rack and tie the bands around it as tight as possible, then load whatever weight you want (typically 40-60% of your 1r max). then rerack the weight and perform 8x3 (not 3x8) with 30s rest in between each set and each rep as fast and explosive as possible. then do your pushups. but you have to be sure to stretch out and warm up well beforehand so as to not rip a pec which ive heard has a dramatic effect on pushups (hmm!). the idea is that the weight gets heavier as it is pushed up (bands stretching) and so your pushups become effortless. afer this, run around the weight room nude to see if anyone notices.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
I tried to skip to the last step just to change things up a little and got chased out of the weight room. What the hell? Don't these people realize I'm workin' a system here?

jaerose

Nobody noticed when I did that...maybe it's because I shaved up to my speedo line for swimming, but the 'fur speedo' was still there...so they couldn't tell. Hmmm...the word sasquatch comes to mind! Just kidding, I'm not a hairy guy...nor do I wear speedos. Now the man-thong...that's another story =)

JR
www.jdroseberry.info

brunelm

Now I haven't read any of the replies to this post, so some of this may have already been said.
I just completed OCS in May and regularly complete the max of 87 pushups. I was also the PT Body for my class in which everyone except 1 person passed the out PRT. I worked nightly with several individuals on their pushup form and helped them pass. I'm also an avid weight lifter, so I consider my advice as sound.
Start by counting backwards. Your goal should be 87 I'm guessing, since that is the max. So start off at 87 each time and count backwards. You'll be surprised how much easier it is. As you improve in numbers, you get closer and closer to 1.
Since you're working now on trying to build your number up, don't try doing as many as you can as fast as you can. You only do that when you're actually doing the test for real. Work on technique and strength building.
Keep good form when you do each one. Remember nobody cares if you can do them all or not except yourself, so don't lie to or cheat yourself. Proper form is just like they say: when you're in the pushup position, your heels, butt, backn and head are all aligned in a straight line. No dippng or raising your butt allowed. It's best to have hands shoulder width appart, not spred way out. You want them closer together. This way seems harder to do at first, but once you get used to doing them, you can do a whole lot more in a shorter amount of time then with your arms out.
The motion is simple, all the way down till your elbows bend 90 degrees, then all the way back up and keep your back, head, butt, and legs straight and aligned.
If you have at least a month to improve and can do pushups daily or at least 5 days a week try this: Strap a seabag, or backpack with books in it to your back and do 4 sets of as many reps you can do. Do this for 1 week, then cut the weight of books in half and do that for the next week. The last 2 weeks dont use any books as you dont want to continue breaking down your muscles and you want to build repetitions not strength.
If you are like a bunch of us, you have trouble holding the pushup position for the whole 2 mins probably because you're lower back is weak. So do this: get in the pushup position and stay there in the up position for 1 min (longer if that's easy for you to start) Dont do any pushups, just sit there in the up position. This will build those muscles you use to hold your form. Do that for say 3 sets. You can combine things by doing a set of pushups, then once you cant do anymore, hold yourself up for another min. Once you can start fresh and hold yourself up for 3mins straight, you'll be strong enough to do pushups for 2 mins w/out bending or arching your back while doing the pushups.
Hope this helped out for you!
Matt

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
okay, this is old, but here i go:

i'm not trying to be snotty either jaerose, but i think dips are one of the greatest exercises if you're trying to increase push ups. after nrotc boot camp, i came out with 70 push ups, but during the school year, i did about 4/5x20, or 80-100 dips a day, and my push ups sky-rocketed to around 110 in 2 mins.

my advice to you, spsiratt, is to just keep doing push ups everyday. if you're watching tv, and the commercial comes on, bust out the p-u's until the commercials end or something. later on, if you want to be pretty fit, do this:
50pu, 50 flutterkicks
40pu, 40 flutterkicks
30pu, 30 flutterkicks
(20pu, 20 flutterkicks)x4

that exercise kicked my butt, but it was a great workout. the reason i used to do flutterkicks a lot is because i got in big trouble because i was bad at flutterkicks. enjoy :)

kevin

dips are one of the best exercises for for improving bench that is not directly a benching type movement. so obviously, theyre going to help with pushups. but this is more a result of strengthening ancillary muscles for benching (pu). the reason it may have helped you so much is that you were weaker in the tris and lats beforehand (yes contrary to popular belief, lats are very involved in benching!).

brunelm: sound advice (i like the counting backwards thing). just a clarification, the reason peoples butt's sag or pop up during pu is mostly due to weak abdominals more than lower back weakness. lower back muscles are among the strongest in the body since they are necessary to absorb the shock and punishment of the lumbar spine. abs are typically much weaker. just to test, try staying in pushup position for 5 minutes. later on due a couple sets of pushups and then try the same thing- you'll probably find it's much more difficult.
then try running around nude and see......oh sorry, i already mentioned that.

doubleeagle

since there are so many different options out on the table now, I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. Just before I took my last pft I was recovering from a hospital stay that caused me to lose 18 pounds in 4 days. Needless to say this hurt my pushup count because I was as weak as the previously mentioned "six year old girl." My recruiter told me to do pyramids starting at the highest number I was going to do then work down and back up, a reverse pyramid if you will. The theory bieng that when you shock your muscles from the get go you will build more mass and endurance (who knows if it is true) What I do know is that it helped an ass load and I was able to do more after two weeks of doing those than ever before.

I have done the 4 week SEAL workout (Stew Smith) and it works great as well. I can tell you that if you have the sack to finish the 12 week workout you are in much better shape than me. My buddy did it 3 times in 36 weeks and is now at BUDS and swears by it. Good luck everyone!!!

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
hey double, did you follow the free workout from lt smith's site, or did you actually buy the workout? did your friend buy the workout also?

Status
Not open for further replies.