• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Push-ups w/ rotating handles?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
By "efficient" I take it that you mean you work more muscles more quickly, not that it lets you push up with less effort--more efficiently.

I see the idea, but aren't pushups supposed to be a practical application exercise--no frills, moving your body up and down? They are an end in themselves. If you start adding gear, then it becomes a gym exercise.

I see the merit of them if they become one more angle to work the muscles with, but not if they supplant regular pushups. In other words, hit a set of PUs with the handles before or after sets of USMC PUs, wideouts, diamonds, fingertips, knuckles, etc.

Fetter

Not more efficient then, I meant I was sore as a mofo after 20 pushups using the handles compared to the usual 50 or so normal pushups. The best results I've ever gotten were from dive bomber pushups though. Those are tough....especially with socks on a wood floor...tricky tricky.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
A buddy of mine just got some of those about a week ago. I tried them and like you, did about 20-30 and felt sore. Along the same lines though, I started lifting again after a 3 month break and felt sore after a minimum amount of reps. Its basically working out a group of muscles in a way they havent been worked out so they suck more. So I dont think that the device will allow you to do more regular pushups, but if you continue to work out the rotating pushups, they will help you do more of those. If you're trying to shock your body though, then a variety of exercises are good.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
It was invented by a Navy SEAL ... so its got to make you tough shit, right? :D

The Perfect Pushup puts a new spin on one of the oldest exercises, the pushup. Invented by someone who knows a lot about pushups, former U.S. Navy SEAL, Alden Mills
Taken from the link above

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
By "efficient" I take it that you mean you work more muscles more quickly, not that it lets you push up with less effort--more efficiently.

I see the idea, but aren't pushups supposed to be a practical application exercise--no frills, moving your body up and down? They are an end in themselves. If you start adding gear, then it becomes a gym exercise.

I see the merit of them if they become one more angle to work the muscles with, but not if they supplant regular pushups. In other words, hit a set of PUs with the handles before or after sets of USMC PUs, wideouts, diamonds, fingertips, knuckles, etc.

The angle of the dangle will often work muscles differently, sometimes it is more effeciently, sometimes it just makes you sore in a different spot. Sometimes something as simple as (using the BP) rotating your elbows inward on the exertion phase (of a normal BP) will give you just enough of an edge to push up a bit more weight.

Using the BP again....wide grip BP tends to work muscles towards the outiside of the chest, while narrowing the grip will move the effect of that work towards the inside.

Leg extensions....keeping your toes straight is ok. Rotating your toes outward during the last 20 degress of extension puts a lot more emphasis on the vastus medialis muscle (on the inside of your knee).

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
This guy swears by them:
dannybonaduceshirtless.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, all the coke does have the side benefit of keeping him lean...

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Hes got a personal trainer certificate now. No drugs anymore, with the exception of 'roids, and smoking like a chimney. I listen to him on the radio in the mornings, thats why I know this. Not a stalker...