• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pull Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenAzali

To everyone thats stuck with the pull ups, the Armstrong Program is not only helpful but fun to do as well. If that does not get you to twenty, I strongly suggest investing on a 40lbs set of barbells. Do some sets of 30 or 25lbs curls and reverse curls too.

My question is: when it comes down to the pull up test, how low do you have to go for one "full pullup" count? I can do about 21 reps, my chin falls like 2 to 3 inches below the bar. Is that good enough? How long do your arms have to extend...If im not going low enough how low do you have to go?

Much appreciated
hoping to be there...183!

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
When you say that you are doing the Armstrong pullup program, are you doing the pushups that are included too? Or are you just doing the pullup workout? Thanks.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

AllenAzali

yea, I think he recommends 3 max sets of push ups

something like:
1 set when you wake up
2nd set after you brush your teeth
3rd set after you shave or shower

50 reps per set should be sufficient.

farkle84

pullups the OCS way. you must start with you arms locked straight at a dead hang. you have to get your chin over the bar and come back down and lock your arms out again. you cannot bring your knees above your waist nor can you swing to get momentum. you can either do them hands facing you or away and you can switch your hands as long as you stay on the bar.

farkle84

oh yeah, i wouldnt worry too much about pushups. its good to be able to do 50 in a row. but you should concentrate on pull ups. you do cycle runs were there are different stations, so you get a full body work out.

jwnole

pft at meps? ahjiggawhaaa? I pft at o'dark 30 at the local college. OSO gives it. I don't know anything about pft at meps. Besides, I would hope that they are strict everywhere. I don't want anyone having to meet different standards than me.

AllenAzali

Wherever they give that darn PFT.

Oh well..it sucks because I have somewhat long arms.

They practically reach down to my knees when Im standing up. LOL (j/K) but pretty close.

farkle84

there is no pft at MEPS. The OSO should arrange for your PFT. and some OSO's arent strict on the pull ups and situps and the run is pretty much a course they arrange. But my OSO was strict because he wanted to make sure that i was ready to bear the wrath of the Sgt Instructors and how they want you to do things.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
tnnutz here's the link to the Armstrong Program. Enjoy.

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong%20Pullup%20Program.htm

Semper Fi

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

AllenAzali

in addition to the armstrong or if you want to experiment with weights try this link.

http://www.oo-rah.com/pt/pt0830.shtml

if you cant find that kind of weight belt or if you dont feel like buying one, wearing a backpack frontside and filling them them with weights works too.

Signed, Matt

Bushmaster

Guys, I am going to enlist in the Navy and I have no idea how PFT is like for Navy Basic Training... I definitely need some work, but I don't know what areas I should focus...

How many pushups, situps? What is the time limit? Will there be any pullups? Will there also be swimming & running?

Actually I am pretty bad in shape, (kind of skinny) and my stamina is low... What would you suggest to improve my stamina?

Thanks for your time...

Status
Not open for further replies.