• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pull up Improvement

usmcecho4

pilot
He's just saying that if your staff look at your scores and sees 20 pullups, 100 crunches, and a 24:00 three mile you are going to get some extra attention when it comes to the run. The staff is looking for your weaknesses so they can turn up the pressure on you and see how you react. If you get a 300 there won't be much in the way of weaknesses to find when it comes to normal PT.

Now if you want to be diabolical and try to game the game try to finish your run in the middle third of your platoon so that when you break into ability groups you won't be with the "rabbits" who get paired with the SI that wants to run you into the ground or the "turtles" that get paired with the SI that hates your collective guts for being fat and lazy. Gaming the game is a risky strategy but 70% of the time it works every time ;)

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

HueyCobra8151

pilot
In Golf Company last summer we didn't use ability groups. Everyone ran by squad and we were led by SI or Plt. Sgt./Plt. Cmdr. We were all supposed to run at a predetermined pace.

Some instructors ran at the pace, others sprinted, then stopped at checkpoints and waited for the clock to catch up before sprinting some more. Rabbits and Turtles were spread pretty evenly throughout.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Carno, you are correct that I wasn't prepared for OCS, and obviously scoring 100's on the crunch/pullup portion doesn't mean much as it relates to running.

Running for me has always been a weakness, so I make the mistake in assuming that as long as I made passing PFT scores that I could compensate for that weak point with crunches, pullups, or whatever else I could that wasn't running. Big mistake. Do not do this. I'm trying to point this out so others don't end up where I am.

And, what USMCEcho4 says is dead on. They know which event you're likely to be marginal at, and you will get attention for it, and possibly chits. You don't want a stack of those. Being is the middle is where you want to be, run-wise, if you're fast enough to be able to "game the game," as it were.

As far as the stress fractures go, they are another thing entirely, which is best covered else where, but be sure you train properly. This means push hard, but be sure your technique for running is sound and you don't overtrain so much before you go that you're prone to breaking while you're there. I went from couch potato, basically, to trying to run 3-5 miles as hard as I could. You can do this, and your muscles and cardio will grow strong enough to do compensate fairly quickly. But, your bones will not. They need time to lay down tissue, so start easy and increase distance incrementally.

Oh, Cunningham, my pre-ship was around 23 minutes, I think. Sure, that's passing, but you need better than that to do well. Your initial PFT will suck because you're tired, getting used to the new environment, and whatever other reasons you can think of. Your score is likely to drop across the board, especially your run. Mine came in at 23:40, so they pegged me right away. Don't be that guy. There are plenty of other things to worry about than, "I don't want to fall out on the next run," which is pretty much every other day at least.

I've heard of people not pushing hard on the initial PFT, as a "game the game" strategy. The idea is to show a marginal score initially so that it's easier to demonstrate improvement on later events. I wouldn't advise doing this. Put out on your initial, if for no other reason that what I said above. You won't be performing as well as you expect to, and you don't want to run the risk of a marginal score, or, worse a failing one. If you come in under 23:45 (which I cleared by a mere 5 seconds,) you have to re-run it the next day. Failing that, you go home. Again, you'll have lots of things to be concerned with, and you don't want to fret over something this crucial.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I really don't want other candidates to get jacked up as I did. There's a lot at stake.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
In Golf Company last summer we didn't use ability groups. Everyone ran by squad and we were led by SI or Plt. Sgt./Plt. Cmdr. We were all supposed to run at a predetermined pace.

Some instructors ran at the pace, others sprinted, then stopped at checkpoints and waited for the clock to catch up before sprinting some more. Rabbits and Turtles were spread pretty evenly throughout.

The humps were the most interesting in G CO though ;) that and libo being secured!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
E-Course; 3, 4, and 5 mile timed runs; Every single squad run.

If you get 20 pullups but fall out of squad runs or fail timed runs you will get A LOT of crap coming your way.

If you (like me) got 15-18 pullups or so (didn't get my 20 until after OCS) but get great times on E-Course and timed runs, and can call cadence for most of the squad runs without even breaking a sweat, you will not have any problems what-so-ever.

There is a difference between PFT scoring, and practical application.

At first I thought you guys needed new piss tests to see what you were smoking when you said you'd rather have fewer pullups if you could run faster, but this post totally makes it make sense. Totally backwards from the fleet way of thinking.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Our company last summer broke down into squad instead of ability groups as well. Our platoon was pretty much thrown in alphabetical order and broke us into thirds for each squad. Almost all PT events were done by squad. One of our staff would be out in front and columns of 2 behind them. The candidates were the ones who stepped out and called cadence.

NavySeabee26

I had someone time me two and a halfweeks ago on my three mile run and I came in at 20:14. Disappointed, I talked to a friend of mine who trains as an MMA fighter, and he told me to invest in a speed rope, and try to jump rope for 18 straight mins at a brisk pace. Its been a beast, but today I had the same guy time me, and I came in at 19:57. Jumping rope is one of the best things anyone can do for cardio.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I had someone time me two and a halfweeks ago on my three mile run and I came in at 20:14. Disappointed, I talked to a friend of mine who trains as an MMA fighter, and he told me to invest in a speed rope, and try to jump rope for 18 straight mins at a brisk pace. Its been a beast, but today I had the same guy time me, and I came in at 19:57. Jumping rope is one of the best things anyone can do for cardio.

You just do this every day? Did you do anything else during the 2.5 weeks?

BigRed389

None
For some odd reason I find ropework to be a lot tougher than running. Really works the calves and the muscles in your feet.

And if you think the basic jump is too easy, there are always plenty of sadistic variations you can do.

As a bonus it'll probably improve coordination.

NavySeabee26

You just do this every day? Did you do anything else during the 2.5 weeks?

The run and pullups are what I work on the hardest. I'm thankfull for this website, because before I started reading it I was most concerned about pull ups, just reading everyone's experiences....running seems to be much more critical.

For my pull ups I am following the Armstrong program, although I just purchased a weight vest, so Im hoping that will get me from the 14-15 range and into the 18-20 range. I'm just going to keep working at it.

As far as the run the routine I have developed is on Mondays and Tuesdays I run 3.5-5 miles at around a 7:30 to 8:00 min mile pace. (Every morning before I start my run I ride a stationairy bike for 20 mins and then jump rope for 18)
Wednesday is my sprint day, I do pyramids starting off at 200 meters and working my way up to 800 meters.

Thursday is my fartlek training, I usually run 3 miles, stopping every quarter mile to do either pushups, situps, mountain climbers (God I hate those) and flutter kicks.

Every other Friday is my long run (last friday I ran 8 miles) and the other fridays are just a standard 3.5-5 mile run.

I take Saturdays and Sundays off.

As a reservist in Seabees, I've been on a couple FEXs and I too had a very hard time with the humps that we had to do, so in the future I will incorporate that into my workout as well.