• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PT training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolld

I was just wondering how many times alot of you have taken the PT test? I'm planning on taking it next Friday the 7th of March. It will be the first time I take the test and I doubt that I'll be able to score very high. It will be pretty close for the 3 mile run at 23 minutes. I can do about 15-17 pullups and not too many crunches at this point.
Any advice on how to train to increase my stats? Should I just focus on those things or continue to lift weights as well.
Thanks

Adrenaline Rush

I do one almost every week, just trying to get my pullups better...My OSO is really cool about it, tells me to come in whenever I want....To get faster try running hills, run with boots, run 1:30 mins/ lap rest between each lap until you have hit 3 miles...I am still lifting, I work my whole body over 5 days..For legs I do squats, lunges, and leg curls..To help with pullups I do Slow Negatives with weight, also half reps at the bottom portion and the top portion..Finally for chest I work on explosive movements like Speed reps on Bench Press and Pushups where you explode up so your hands come off the floor..... GOod Luck with the training make sure you get enough protein!!

I'd Rather Be A Lion For One Day, Than Be A Sheep For A Thousand Years

It Is Our Duty To Protect The Best Nation In The World

Dolld

Would it be reasonable to take the PT every week? I have to have my package in by the end of this month and will probably take it every friday this month. Dumb idea or not?

Thanks

Adrenaline Rush

I have been taking the PFT every week as of recent. but I now believe that doing the PFT once every 2 weeks give you a chance to improve a little better, because if you take it once a week you should really rest the day before the PFT and this cuts down on the amount of training days you have.

Dolld

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm getting pretty syched to take my test on Friday. Another brief question. Is it better to be training with doing under hand pull-ups or overhand? I've been focusing on underhand just because it works your outer lats better and I thought I might as well get the physique while I at it.
Are there more ground spots opening up for this summer (183). Where would one go to find this out?
Thanks alot brothers.
Have a good night.
Dan Doll

klostman

the happy dance!
Dolld, I would actually recommend doing your pullups overhand. You actually work you back muscles more than underhand. Plus your back muscles fatigue slower than your biceps giving your more strength and endurance. Use the larger muscles to your advantage. Good luck!

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Yeah, I'm just a kid at least 6 years away from a navy cockpit, but I've heard from various sources that the best way to train for physical tests is through aerobics and calestenics, not through extensive weight training. Namely, do lots of running. And then run some more. Go to a site like runnersworld.com for some great track and x-country workouts, they'll whip you in shape like nothing else.
And then run some more.

Adrenaline Rush

i think you are mistaken akamifeldman..I think a mix of aerobic and anaerobic workouts will provide the best chance for success at OCS..The more muscle and strength you have, (if you train right) the stronger your tendons and ligaments are---> the less chance you have for injury...but maybe for Navy OCS running and jumping jacks will do>??

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
For rowing we always mixed aerobic with our anerobic work..it made you stronger and healthier, and like Adrenaline Rush said it helps prevent injury. Just make sure to work opposing muscles so you strengthen both sides of your body (ie. if you do squats, make sure you do leg curls at some point). That will keep you from strengthening one tendon excessively while the opposing one remains weak, resulting in shifting of bones in some cases (went through that with my knee cap, not fun).

Dolld

Well Rayman, I think that I can answer your question. The OSO wants you to have a minimum score of 225 to even send in your package. But you must complete a minimum in each event. The minimum Pullups - 12 (5 points each)max 20 = 100 points, Cruches/Situps - 80 - (1 point each) max 100 = 100 points, 3-mile-run atleast in 23 minutes and a max of 18 minutes with 6 deducted every minute after 18.
So I hope this helps you. Now this is just the test to even get into OCS so it will be much harder once you get there. Pressure/tiredness etc. I just took mine today it was horrible. 16 pullups and 59 situps. I had the wrong form so there is much much room for improvement. My OSO said it is alot about technique.
Peace out brother

farkle84

the only time you will do pushups at OCS is for the combat readiness test and the cycle runs that you do. for the readiness test you have to do 50 in two minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.