• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PT Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTarantula

For the PFT, women have to do the flexed-arm hang. However, I know that it is advised to be able to do pull-ups as well, prior to OCS. This is where I am having problems. I do the arm hang, push-ups, weight lifting, etc., yet I cannot do one pull up. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to achieve at least one pull up? Any help would be appreciated.

perchul

They won't make you do any pullups there, at least not for a grade. What you want to make sure is that you can climb a rope, I'm not one of these physiological know it alls who understands why girls can't climb the rope all I know is that girls can not climb ropes.

Broadsword2004

The key to climbing ropes is using your legs in conjunction with your arms (unless by "climb a rope," they mean solely using arm strength). My mother was a tremendous rope climber when she was younger, and she always said you must use your legs.

Otherwise though, it is just upper-body strength in regards to doing pullups, primarily in the upper back (lat muscles). If you can't do one pullup, go to a pulldown machine and start doing pulldowns. Work yourself up to pulling down your own weight, then go start cranking out pullups. Just don't throw your lower back into the pulldowns; use solely your upper back muscles.

Try following the Armstrong pullup program (google it), only in your case do pulldowns.

Women are naturally physically weaker than men are, but they are still plenty caable of getting the strength and endurance to manage 20 pullups, they just may have to work harder is all.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know plenty of females that can climb a rope, myself included, and I am by no means a paradigm of upper body strength. It's all a matter of getting the technique down.

boudreaux

Boudreaux
Yo

BlueTarantula said:
For the PFT, women have to do the flexed-arm hang. However, I know that it is advised to be able to do pull-ups as well, prior to OCS. This is where I am having problems. I do the arm hang, push-ups, weight lifting, etc., yet I cannot do one pull up. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to achieve at least one pull up? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey BlueTarantula
If you want to do a pull up you need to do assisted pull ups that is how you build those muscles. It takes a year or so depending on how hard you work in weight room to do a pull up. (for females) your biceps will get you up there once or twice. You just need the upper bod strength for the ropes.
boudreaux

dpt0101

Apparently hilary swank went from doing half a pull-up to 11 pullups in a few months training for million dollar baby. You're right, assissted pullups will really help you get to the level where you can do full pullups.

Status
Not open for further replies.