• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PT-17 ground loop at DCA this am.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
You know when you can put your hand over your head and can touch the runway all is not well with your craft. :icon_wink

Group of 8 biplanes flying into Washington National National today promote the new IMAX "Legends of Flight movie didn't go so well for one.

In cockpit video here.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1975327

Flying Toaster

None
That sound right at impact makes me cringe. Wonder why he felt the need to hit the brakes right at touch down??? Having been flying a taildragger off a 1900ft strip it seems like they had all day to get slowed down and plenty of space to sort it out even with a crosswind.

GroundPounder

I'm impressed that he could do that and never use any profanity. I've never reviewed the in car camera of a patrol car wreck from a fender tap to a roll over without at least one F**K!

ryan1234

Wouldn't call that a ground loop...

Guess it's never a good idea to do a wheel landing with the brakes on...

Poor guy... that looked like a nice airplane!!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That sound right at impact makes me cringe. Wonder why he felt the need to hit the brakes right at touch down??? Having been flying a taildragger off a 1900ft strip it seems like they had all day to get slowed down and plenty of space to sort it out even with a crosswind.

Maybe heel brakes instead of toe brakes and he screwed it up?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Well...That's one way to perform a loop. Not really a ground loop though. Indeed a Yellow Peril.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Five of these guys flew over me as they departed at around 4pm. I wonder what the remaining 2 are up to?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
All things being equal -- there's two ways to replicate what this fool did ... link> either land w/ brakes 'ON' (or 'tap them', as he said) ... or push the stick full forward immediately after landing. But the flight controls 'appear' neutral ...

Sooooooooooo ... if you had to guess ... which do you think he did ... ??? :)

Either way, it's another example of another guy w/ more $$$$ than flying skills and he almost killed another great American airplane. And himself & pax, to boot ... just for good measure ...

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Bro-level discussion in the warbird community is saying that the passenger -- the one who is holding the camera in the front cockpit -- was the one on the brakes when the airplane touched down.

Ouch.