• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT Day

Hi All- Quick question regarding the PRT. Is the running portion administered on a track,field, road or something different? I also understand the situps and pushups are first...how long between each and how long after those must you start the run?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I have done the run on tracks, road course, sidewalks and treadmills. Just depends on your location and your command.

You do situps first followed by pushups. I think you get about 5 mins in between and 10 mins prior to the run. It is all in the instruction and I'm just going by memory and it is really early. Where is my coffee?

That doesn't sound too hard then. I kept imagining a couple minutes in between each section, and I tell ya, I get out of breath so easily while doing the pushups!

I feel pretty lucky too, the women standards are pretty relaxed!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You do situps first followed by pushups. I think you get about 5 mins in between and 10 mins prior to the run. It is all in the instruction and I'm just going by memory and it is really early. Where is my coffee?
You get 2 min between.

PRT data

You get 2 min between.

Per the instruction:

b. Events shall be performed allowing at least 2 minutes,
but no more than 15 minutes between events.

Link: http://www.navy-prt.com/files/6110.1H.pdf Page 66

Depends on your recruiter how much time you get.

Also:

d. 1.5-mile run and/or walk
(1) Event consists of running or walking 1.5 miles as
quickly as possible. Any combination of running or walking is
allowed to complete event.
(a) Event shall be conducted on a flat and solid
surface. page 71.

If you go on, you will see that you can take the PRT on a treadmill with a 1 degree incline. But since you are going to have to run outside at OCS, the recruiter will make you run your PRT outside.

gotta_fly

pilot
You do situps first followed by pushups.

Don't forget the all-important sit and reach first!

Me: "Sir, how do we score the sit and reach if they can't do it... do they fail?"

LT (command fitness leader): "Um... no I don't think so."

Me: "Okay sir, so what does it mean if they can't do it?"

LT: "Um... nothing?"

Got to love it. :icon_tong

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
But since you are going to have to run outside at OCS, the recruiter will make you run your PRT outside.

The Chief had me run the track in our IM building. I would have preferred to run outside because I was dodging cows the entire time!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Per the instruction:

b. Events shall be performed allowing at least 2 minutes,
but no more than 15 minutes between events.

Link: http://www.navy-prt.com/files/6110.1H.pdf Page 66

Depends on your recruiter how much time you get.

Also:

d. 1.5-mile run and/or walk
(1) Event consists of running or walking 1.5 miles as
quickly as possible. Any combination of running or walking is
allowed to complete event.
(a) Event shall be conducted on a flat and solid
surface. page 71.

If you go on, you will see that you can take the PRT on a treadmill with a 1 degree incline. But since you are going to have to run outside at OCS, the recruiter will make you run your PRT outside.
Make sure all new OCS attendees print that out and show it to the DIs at OCS. Also, they might want to point out that no Navy instruction says that Navy pushups need to be done with knife hands or their eyes parallel to the deck.

Mattsky

I recall my recruiter mentioning that the PRT consits of 2 min pushups, 2 min rest, then 2 min sit ups. You get a 5 min break before the 1.5 mile run/walk. I don't know what it is for OCS so dont quote me on that.

Whats the chip trail at API?! Also, anyone know the longest distances you run at OCS? I've been having some arch pain that Ive ignored because I thought it would just go away. I can handle it ... but I'm guessing OCS is relentless on running, you run and run some more, and then some more, and more....

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Whats the chip trail at API?! Also, anyone know the longest distances you run at OCS? I've been having some arch pain that Ive ignored because I thought it would just go away. I can handle it ... but I'm guessing OCS is relentless on running, you run and run some more, and then some more, and more....
This is pretty much posted elsewhere, but:

You start out OCS running a total of around 2-2.25 miles -- a short formation run, followed by stretching, then a warmup lap, then the 1.5 mile run, then a cooldown lap around the PT field. You do this on Mon/Wed/Fri and sometimes Sat. You even do all this warmup stuff on the in-PFA day, so that's why I tell anyone training for OCS to train for 2 miles, not 1.5.

After around week 4 or so, the 1.5 mile runs become 2.2 mile runs, so throw in all the warmup stuff and you're running close to 2.75-3. Again, same schedule as above. That happened twice while I was there, but I missed both due to watch.

On some rare occassions, you will do a 3.2 mile run on Saturdays. They'll start out telling you that it's "at your own pace," and then the DIs and whatnot will start "motivating" you.

The 1.5 mile run is on a shitty road with lots of potholes, but it's relatively flat. The 2.2 mile run starts on the same shitty road, then goes onto others with hills but less cracks and potholes.

Oftentimes whoever is leading the run will stop you to give you some extra exercise, so it's not always running the full distance straight through. Other times they'll do stuff like wind sprints or indian runs. Sometimes they'll stop to make you sprint up and down a hill a few times.

Tuesday/Thursday and sometimes Saturday are strength and conditioning days. You still do the short formation run, but any further running you do on those mornings is usually sprints. You're more likely to be doing shitty stuff like buddy bear crawls, fireman's carry, star jumpers, etc. on these days. As training moves on, you're going to miss a lot of these days for stuff like graduation ceremony practice and other random things that come up.

This doesn't include the fact that sometimes you're going to have to sprint from A-B throughout the day when someone tells you to do something, but that's only a few yards.