• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chartdk

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question I have about the PRT conducted at OCS. Is there the option of doing the 1.5 mi run instead of the 500 yd/450 m swim, or are both required at one point or another? I'm curious if I need to really work on a good swim time.

Colin

Goliath112

I am pretty sure you won't have the choice of doing the swim at OCS. Out in the Navy/fleet you will be able to choose the swim option. (only if there is a pool available). Anyway Do practice your swim for the sake of being in shape.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Does anyone know if they will let you do the swim test instead of the run if you have severe shin splints? I've been preparing for almost a year now and my shins are not getting any better. I can run, but my times aren't going down.

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
As much as it stinks, rest is the best medicine for shin splints. Patmack is right, let those shins heal. It is better to take it easy and have healthy shins, than come in kicking ass but in major pain! My boyfriend thought he was going to get shin splints before he left for OCS since he was running 4-5 miles/day (minimum)to prepare, so he kind of took it easy on the running for the last 1 1/2 weeks before he started. He also iced his shins and took an anti-inflammatory after running for like the last 3 weeks before OCS started just as a precaution. I would say it worked for him, because he is in the 9th week and is the PT Body for his class! But then again, he is a very natural runner-type (which I am not..I get too bored on treadmills and it's too cold outside, where I live, to not treadmill...anyways, so that might be why it worked, but hey anything is worth trying when you do have shin splints). Good luck to you!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Definately let those suckers heal. Shin splints sometimes are the precursers of stress fractures and that will lay you out for a few months (personal experience there). So it's better to lay low for a week or two than be out for 3 months while your bones heal.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Thanks for your concern and your advice all. Hey Patmack or anyone else that might know, do you get ice when you need it at OCS?

Rest it is,
HCFI

dhafeman

I read off of the OCS website that you can rest either in the up or down position when doing situps. Anyone at OCS who can tell me whether this is true? I had always been under the impression that you could only rest while up.

kn

Originally posted by Goliath112
I am pretty sure you won't have the choice of doing the swim at OCS. Out in the Navy/fleet you will be able to choose the swim option. (only if there is a pool available). Anyway Do practice your swim for the sake of being in shape.
So the 450m swim is not required at OCS? Does that mean as long as you pass the Third Class Swim Test you're OK? I've been working mostly on my running and have a few more weeks before I report at OCS.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
kn,

Yes, unless your and aviator. Then you will be doing a lot more swimming. If your not the best swimmer right now dont worry, you will be.

Dave

kn

Thanks Dave. I have a couple questions about the Third CLass Swim test though. For the 5 min prone float, you get to lift your head up and get air intermittently right? Because I don't think I can hold my breath for 5 mins :) And for the Shirt & Trouser inflation, will they at least show you what needs to be done? I've never done that before and got no clues how it's supposed to be done. Any tips?

- Ken

jaerose

The trouser thing is easy...tie your legs in knots...then pull them overhead into the water and close the bottom as the legs inflate with forced air and lie in the crotch...we did that in high school. As for shin splints...the best alternative for cardio at no impact is to use the elliptical trainer (if you have access) as it most closely simulates running, with little to no impact. Put it on higher resistance settings. Then ice and rest your shins as you would. This way you can at least maintain the strength and endurance of your legs and you can keep your cardiovascular shape, while not pounding the shin splints into fractures. That's what I'm doing...if I run in the morning, then I'll use the ellipse after my resistance training. It's good cross-training.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.