• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Protesting your vote

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
A process that we, as the the american military pay a much higher price to defend than many others in society. Do I care personally that you don't want to vote and hate the current two part system? Absolutely not. Would I care that I'm serving with someone who displays a level of indifference towards my countries political system? maybe . . .
Roger your post. Just to clarify, I'm not one that hates the current system. On the contrary, I think we've got just about the best system in the world. Just opting out this time around for a variety of reasons. Further, I don't display indifference by not voting, especially if my act of not voting serves as my vote. Just didn't want to be lumped in the "hate America" crowd, or be called "stupid" (reference the first post of this series) for something that I consider my right.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
President may be the Commander in Chief, but service is to the country, not the Government

Read the oath again...service is to the Constitution...oops...:sleep_125

DON'T NOT VOTE

Are you from Pensacola? How about, "Don't refuse to vote." Or maybe just "Vote!"

Okay, neither party suits you; Roger that. Guess what? ONE of those parties is going to have the majority of the power to make decisions that directly affect you.

Can you honestly say that one party or the other does not more closely represent your own personal beliefs... or at least those most important to you? If niether party supports what is important to you, is one of two more likely to destroy what is important to you?

Yes, it is your right to vote or not vote. It is your right to vote for a third party (or fourth or fifth...). Just realize what that vote (or lack thereof) will mean to you and the country.

Chief, while I applaud the sprirt behind your posts, and think that an concerned and informed citizen ought to vote, lets not forget that there are other ways to participate in the political system. A vote for a party which you still do not support is a wasted vote as surely as one cast for Mickey Mouse is.

If as a citizen you are dissatisfied with political discourse as it stands at the present, CHANGE IT!!! Never forget that this whole process belongs to you...despite what major political parties, the media etc...may make you believe. Don't like the candidates for Congress...write letters to the parties explaining why. Feel like your beliefs are supported by a third party, then sack up, support them and VOTE FOR THEM. If we continue to blindly accept the "choices" offered up by the political machine we have, then we tacitly condone and perpetuate it. Get off your dead A@@ and participate!!!!

Stubby

Ask the Chief
A vote for a party which you still do not support is a wasted vote as surely as one cast for Mickey Mouse is.
Maybe.... unless that vote prevents the other party.... whom perhaps you support even less.... from making decisions that will only make matters worse. You've heard the expression "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
True enough.... but if you think your country is best served by not following the orders of the President (or any elected official duly appointed over you).... you may just end up in prison! ;)

I should hope so!

I would hope if you feel strongly enough to disobey orders, having taken the oath, you should be willing to spend time in prison, or even face death for what you believe.

Unfortunately, this is NOT how it usually plays out.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Read the oath again...service is to the Constitution...oops...:sleep_125

Don't you "uphold" the Constituion on behalf of the nation? I would be very worried if you joined the Navy to serve a piece of paper...

Are you from Pensacola? How about, "Don't refuse to vote." Or maybe just "Vote!"

First of all, we are talking about the decisive act of "not voting." Yes, my statment is not grammatically appropriate, but from a conceptual level, a communicative level, it is more appropriate to use the double negative.

Second, it's easier to drill into young skulls full of cottage cheese.

Okay, neither party suits you; Roger that. Guess what? ONE of those parties is going to have the majority of the power to make decisions that directly affect you.

You don't read good, do you...?

Stubby

Ask the Chief
I would hope if you feel strongly enough to disobey orders, having taken the oath, you should be willing to spend time in prison, or even face death for what you believe.
I agree completely.

This is the undertone of my point.

1. Identify a problem.
2. Choose a course of action.
3. Identify the repercussions.
4. Take action (or not)
5. Be prepared for the consequences of your actions (or lack thereof).

The problem is, too many people in this country allow the media to handle the first two steps.... skip the third step.... go right to step four and then try to run before step five.

In the immortal words of Scoober78;"Sack up!"

Carno

Insane
1) I swore an oath and I intend to uphold that oath. My willingness to obey orders (completely, for those who enjoy getting into semantics) is not an issue.

2) I don't hate Democracy. I think it's an excellent system.

3) My beef is with the Democrat and Republican parties and how they are run.

Chief - I really do understand what you are saying, and that was the rationale I used last election. I voted Republican because they are more closely aligned with what I believe. One the whole I think the Repubs are better than the Dems, but the Repubs now support things that I simply cannot abide (I will not get into those issues here, so don't ask). I consider myself Libertarian, but as we all know, a vote not for Democrat is a vote for Republican.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
.....the Repubs now support things that I simply cannot abide.
I can totally respect that. If you are informed, and in line with your conscience.... then good on ya!

..... as we all know, a vote not for Democrat is a vote for Republican.
And vice versa. A vote not for Republicans is a vote for Democrats.

What irritates me is a conservative not voting Republican because the Republicans aren't conservative enough for them.... Will this send a message that conservatives are disenchanted with the Republican party? Sure. Will it fix the problem (as they see it) and make things more conservative? Uh.... no. In fact, just the opposite. So are things better, or worse?

Carno

Insane
firefriendly said:
This may be why you aren't in favor of the current system, since the U.S. is a republic and not a democracy.

*sigh*

If you want to get that technical, it's actually a democratic republic. And no, that has absolutely nothing to do with why I dislike Dems and Repubs.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Just an anecdote from earlier today; our unit had pt this morning and after we had jogged over to the prt trail our Gunny asked us whether or not we wanted to work on push ups and sit ups, or do a 1.5 mile run. A quarter of the middies voted for choice A, another quarter for choice B, and half did not vote. So, we ended up doing log runs:). It turned out that those who did not vote really screwed over those that did.

I just recently (absentee) voted in my first ever midterm election! I dont care that absentee votes wont get counted unless its close, or that I voted republican as a California resident. I participated in the system and am working with it to make things "better." Its not the only way that I seek change, but it is an integral part, and one that everyone should participate in. It was a really proud moment when I was able to mail my ballot in because I took a stand. And no matter which way things go in the near term, I have laid a foundation for the long term.

Right now I am just way to giddy about voting to respond to all you crazies who dont have the moral courage to make the choice between the "lesser of two evils" so you make others do it for you.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
If you want to get that technical, it's actually a democratic republic. And no, that has absolutely nothing to do with why I dislike Dems and Repubs

Actually... Its a presidential, first-past-the-post, Constitutional republic....but who's keeping track.

Don't you "uphold" the Constituion on behalf of the nation? I would be very worried if you joined the Navy to serve a piece of paper...

No...you've got that exactly backwards...I support the nation on behalf of the Constitution...if the President were to give you an order which violated my oath to the Constitiution, as an officer, I would be duty bound to refuse it.

If that's all the Constitution is to you...find work elsewhere with all due respect...

Carno

Insane
Right now I am just way to giddy about voting to respond to all you crazies who dont have the moral courage to make the choice between the "lesser of two evils" so you make others do it for you.

Oh that is just beautiful. :sleep_125

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
No...you've got that exactly backwards...I support the nation on behalf of the Constitution...if the President were to give you an order which violated my oath to the Constitiution, as an officer, I would be duty bound to refuse it.

If that's all the Constitution is to you...find work elsewhere with all due respect...

Oh, calm down. I'm just mincing your words.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Right now I am just way to [sic] giddy about voting to respond to all you crazies who dont have the moral courage to make the choice between the "lesser of two evils" so you make others do it for you.
Consider myself one of the "crazies" who doesn't have any "moral courage". GFY.
Still waiting for one good arguement about why those of us who don't vote are somehow lessor citizens.
Please respond, b/c I dare you to prove my lack of moral courage. And while we are calling each other names, you're an ass. But at least you've "laid a foundation for the long term". Jesus, if I ever wrote something like that, please shoot me because my squadron would never let me live it down.

Stubby, Raptor, this means you... please inform me why I'm stupid or lack moral courage; I would love to know. You've provided some of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on this site, and that's saying a lot.

Embarassed to be associated with the high degree of suck exhibited in this thread.

Still waiting for an educated, rational response. You know, with, like, reason and sh!t to back it up.