• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Protecting your Hearing

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
Bars and clubs are one of the highest culprits these days for causing hearing loss. While you might get made fun of by some of the people who cant hear you, wear some foamies there - it actually makes it easier to hear the conversations you may be having.

There are actually a few companies that make custom fitted earplugs - normally used by DJ's and bands. they'll cost about $50 but are worth every penny in sound 'filtration.'

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
gatordev said:
No, it actually can make it easier to understand, because the foamies filter out a lot of the high end hiss and noise (wind, static, turbines, etc).

Thanks...

phrogpilot73

A suggestion that I think everyone should at least TRY (at least, those of us who wear HELMETS, damn P-3 guys :) ). There's something out there that is approved by NavAir, it doesn't have an NSN yet but your PRs/FE guys can order it. The CEP - Communication Ear Plug. Go to this link if you want to learn more. I wore double hearing protection in flight school, but when I hit the fleet I stopped (couldn't hear the radios). I have since gotten these, and now I can wear double hearing protection. They work so well that the first time I used them, I had to turn down my radios, and I would have sworn that we weren't at 100% Nr. Probably triple checked my gauges before I pulled power.

I too, have heard the voice of god... Mostly it's when it's so quiet, and I misinterpret my heartbeat as a tone :D

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
virtu050 said:
any p-3 bubbas use the BOSE noise reduction headphones?

Kind of pointless if you have the inboard headphone propped up over (not on) your ear so you can hear/understand the co-pilot and FE. Save your money, the TELEX works fine. I know you have to use the ones the IP gives you in VP-30, but your Fleet squadron will give you your own set.

I fly both P-3s and P-111Ns (what basically amounts to a militarized C-12 for patrol purposes), and it f-ing blows me away how much more quiet the flight station is in the P-3, even with 4 engines blasting away. I suppose it's just a question of proximity.

edit: I also have no idea if the BOSE system is compatible with the avionics package. I remember years back when people were burning out some part of the ICS system by using ghe TELEX with AIP ICS systems. I've also never, ever seen anyone use anything in the plane other than the funky giganitc AIP sets or TELEX (even the 3 foreign countries I've flown Orions with).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
A suggestion that I think everyone should at least TRY (at least, those of us who wear HELMETS, damn P-3 guys :) ). There's something out there that is approved by NavAir, it doesn't have an NSN yet but your PRs/FE guys can order it. The CEP - Communication Ear Plug. Go to this link if you want to learn more. I wore double hearing protection in flight school, but when I hit the fleet I stopped (couldn't hear the radios). I have since gotten these, and now I can wear double hearing protection. They work so well that the first time I used them, I had to turn down my radios, and I would have sworn that we weren't at 100% Nr. Probably triple checked my gauges before I pulled power.

I too, have heard the voice of god... Mostly it's when it's so quiet, and I misinterpret my heartbeat as a tone :D

My previous XO got a pair of those before I left. Said he loved them. Then again, he was old. Did you get issued the standard walker, or the deluxe version w/ wheels? I think the PRs can put some Geritol in your first aid kit, too. ;)

phrogpilot73

gatordev said:
My previous XO got a pair of those before I left. Said he loved them. Then again, he was old. Did you get issued the standard walker, or the deluxe version w/ wheels? I think the PRs can put some Geritol in your first aid kit, too. ;)
The wheels, and already there. ;)

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Anyone know of any pilots that had hearing loss from loud music that threatened to have them kicked out of flight but were able to stay in some how??

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Yes, i passed the audiogram. I am just concerned about problems arising in the future and what to do about them. Avoiding noise pollution seems clear, the test questions were just curiousity over someone BS'ing me or not. I don't have a hearing problem, I am just looking to see if it will become one through oficer training and this is something I have to be careful about in the future. Thank you for all of your responses, this seems to be an interesting topic.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Texan said:
Bars and clubs are one of the highest culprits these days for causing hearing loss. While you might get made fun of by some of the people who cant hear you, wear some foamies there -
'

might get made fun of? I like your chances.