• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pros and Cons of Each

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet driver

From reading the messages in this forum it is clear to see that typically every pilot no matter what they fly loves their job and thinks their platform is the greatest. As my username implies I hope to oneday fly the f-18, and if not that then a carrier based fixed wing jet. However my main goal is to get my wings and as one 60-driver told me they all shine the same, so no matter what I fly I am sure I will be happy. Having said that I was wondering if some of you guys could HONESTLY give me some of the pros and cons of each platform. What are you flying and would you change any thing about it. Keep in mind that I am married with no children YET!!

Moses Smith

Moses Smith

ProwlerPilot

pilot
From a Prowler pilot perspective. It is still a tactical jet, and we do go into harm's way, but it is not the sexy, bomb dropping machine that the Hornet is. The duty station (Whidbey Island WA) is quite nice and the community seems to be pretty good. (i've only been up here 2 months) If you are a pilot, you are outnumbered 3 to 1 by NFO's, so you are not the bigshot in the cockpit anymore, which is contrary to all the training you will get in flight school. Also, the airframe is old. We are supposed to get EA-18 by 2009, but that is of course just "the word". A plus is that we have a very important mission and there is no one else in the US military that can do it as well as we can. So the 100 some odd planes taht we have are it. And the honets and strike eagles don't really like to go in without us, so, there is plenty of flying to be had!

Glenn
Prowler Pilot

hornet driver

If I am able to select into the jet pipeline my top three picks would be f-18, EA-6B, and S-3's. From what I understand the S-3's and Tomcats are slated for retirement very soon, so there is a good chance that I wouldn't be able to ever fly those aircraft. The EA-6B isn't supposed to be retired until 2009 as you have said. The reasons for the hornet as the top pick is primarily because it is a platform that will be around for a long time. I have been advised that it may not be a good idea to select a dying platform because I may not be able to transition to another aircraft. What do you think?

Moses Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.